Assembly 747-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freight is what making money for the airlines right now, not passengers. The 747-8 can land at a lot more airports than the 380. The future of the A380 does not look good considering the value of the Euro and the current European's economy.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
Freight is what making money for the airlines right now, not passengers.

Too bad the 300 UPS pilots who's going to be out of a job will not agree with this statment.

Fuel is the biggest expense of any aircraft operator. I can see the A-380 being hit if the demands from the public are there and where fuel cost is not as big of an issue such as Emirates.

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex

Too bad the 300 UPS pilots who's going to be out of a job will not agree with this statment.

UPS does not carry passengers. UPS carries less freight than Korean Air and Lufthansa. UPS is on par with Singapore Airlines with respect to total tonnage. Internationally, UPS does not even rank in the top ten freight carriers.

Then why did he replied to my post? If you are not the top dogs in the business then you will be out of business. UPS carries less than 30% of their tonnage as air-freight, whereas FedEx is up to 90%. UPS is laying off pilots because they can not compete against dedicated air freight companies or combined freight/passengers airlines.

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex

UPS does not carry passengers. UPS carries less freight than Korean Air and Lufthansa. UPS is on par with Singapore Airlines with respect to total tonnage. Internationally, UPS does not even rank in the top ten freight carriers.

Ok, you said freight is making money and not passengers. UPS is freight, no matter if it's cookies your grandma sent you on Christmas or DG. It's still freight. If freight was making money UPS would not be cutting 300 pilots. I flew "freight" for 10 months before I headed to the airlines. Anything from canceled check, pharmaceutical, urine samples, UPS boxes and anything in between.

Maybe you can also explain why Air France recently reported $614 million cargo loss.

Then why did he replied to my post?

Your post didn't said passengers either, that being the one that was replied from.

Don't get how the passengers got into the cargo plane from your end, when your post and the respondent were both talking cargo ?

See post #1916299, I said freight is making money and not passengers. UPS tried to add an air cargo airlines to their ground shipping business to compete with FedEx and they failed. FedEx added FedEx Ground to their air cargo business to compete against UPS and they won. UPS is laying off pilots and FedEx is ordering new cargo airplanes. Just because you can carry freight by air does not mean that you can make a profit.

http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news10/315-AirlineTraffic.shtml

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jan/12/fedex-doubles-order-big-boeing-777-freighters/

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Don't get how the passengers got into the cargo plane from your end, when your post and the respondent were both talking cargo ?

Some Airlines such as Cathay Pacific and Singapore use the 747's and others as both passenger and freight transporters. It is called a combi and has specific sections for freight and other sections for passengers. Northwest and American Airlines will sometimes take off with very few passengers in the main cabin instead of canceling the flight because they make money on the cargo below deck.

Recession? causing loss of revenue? When I was fixing forklifts one Freight company would let me sit in the cockpit of their freighters when they were in. I would grab a cup of coffee and for 10 minutes pretend I was flying somewhere.

As a finishing student majoring in airline management and journalism, All Airbus A380 Cargo variants have been canceled. Airbus kept pushing the delivery date back. If you want one it will set you back a heft $327.4 million dollars, not including the enormous landing fees, and fuel costs, although it is supposed to be more fuel efficient than the 747. Unfortunately due to the enormous size, and production delays many aviation analysts predict that airbus will lose money on the A380. Airbus will have to sell 420 aircraft to break even,and only 14 were delivered by the end of last year.

And the good news is Boeing received their TIA for the 747-8 last week so first delivery is on track for the end of this year. The 420 A380 break even point was calculated using the 2005 Euro. At today rate of exchange you are looking at close to 450 aircraft to break even and that includes European subsidies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back