Article on AFM delete on GM LS engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Patman
Maybe it's different with my LT1 because it's the 8 speed auto, but when mine goes in and out of V4 mode it's barely detectable at all. I have the standard exhaust so it's pretty quiet at cruising speeds already, so you can't even tell based on that. A lot of members of the Corvette Forum believe that AFM is the cause for torque convertor failures on the new Corvette but mine has been flawless so far at just under 8900 miles and I use AFM on a regular basis.

I have a 2018 Silverado with the 5.3 and the six speed. The V4 to V8 change is not noticeable at all.

What is noticeable to me … the Silverado does not use V4 as often as the Tahoe … that surprises me being the truck is lighter (it's a SWB regular cab) but has 3:08 gears … Tahoe has 3:42 gears …

I guess the computer monitors different factors to figure out when to switch to V4/V8 mode. So I would imagine the engine RPMs are one of the factors-then the whole power train would be included in that-including the differential, and of course gearing would come in to play.

Last edited:
When I get on back roads with little traffic (to ride your bumper) … I try dropping speed until it goes V4 …
Tahoe = -70 mph (3:42)
Z71 PU = -60 mph (3:08)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back