Are you big into Christmas lights/decorations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I are Jewish, we like seeing Xmas lights & decorations, but we don't put anything up for it. We will be the rare house in the country/county Rd with a menorah in the window during Hanukkah.

I currently have about 6000 lights up, and will be adding about 1000 more tonight. Plus all the light up candy canes, snowmen, deer, elves, Santa, inflatable these and flickering that's, controllers, cords, etc. Yes, its insane. There are about 100 houses in our subdivision and there are 2-3 of us in a silent passive-aggressive war of who can put up the most stuff. My whole street is actually pretty lit up relative to the other streets.

I have another 6000-7000 lights still in boxes in my basement that I use for spares. I wanted to put them all up as well but I'm kind of running out of places to put them, unless I rent a lift and start going way up into the trees. Not ruling that out yet.....

I would like to switch to LED's but figuring in how many lights I would have to replace, I'm going to wait a few more years for the prices to come down another dollar or two a box. Plus depending on what brand you buy, I don't really like the colors. Some of them look just like incandescent, but others have a weird purplish glow and the cheap ones seem to have a perceptible flicker. My neighbor down the street put up about 2000 LED's and its almost hard to look at, its like it strains my eyes or something. Another house down a ways is all LED's and it looks really good, so I'm assuming its just depends on the brand..?

Takes about 15-20 hours to put it all up, and about 6-7 hours to take it all down and pack it away back into the attic. Its a lot of work, but I still enjoy doing it. We get cards in our mailbox and notes on the door thanking us for putting them up every year from people we don't even know, and people drive by and honk and yell "thanks" and "nice job" or whatever and that does feel good. I'll keep doing it as long as I enjoy doing it and we can afford to feed it all. It adds about $250 to our December electric bill. Ouch.

Working too many years in retail turned me into detesting Merry Corporation. The way I believe in celebrating Christmas is by going to midnight mass and celebrating the true meaning of Christmas,the birth of Jesus.

I am torn between fancy outdoor lights in many channels and believing in the true meaning of Christmas which is the birth of Jesus.

So we have lights in the windows.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I am torn between fancy outdoor lights in many channels and believing in the true meaning of Christmas which is the birth of Jesus.

I do both.

Lights are just like any other form of entertainment, like going to a move or a game.

The neighborhood, kids & adults a like, enjoy seeing them.

Originally Posted By: quint
I currently have about 6000 lights up, and will be adding about 1000 more tonight. Plus all the light up candy canes, snowmen, deer, elves, Santa, inflatable these and flickering that's, controllers, cords, etc. Yes, its insane. There are about 100 houses in our subdivision and there are 2-3 of us in a silent passive-aggressive war of who can put up the most stuff. My whole street is actually pretty lit up relative to the other streets.

I have another 6000-7000 lights still in boxes in my basement that I use for spares. I wanted to put them all up as well but I'm kind of running out of places to put them, unless I rent a lift and start going way up into the trees. Not ruling that out yet.....

I would like to switch to LED's but figuring in how many lights I would have to replace, I'm going to wait a few more years for the prices to come down another dollar or two a box. Plus depending on what brand you buy, I don't really like the colors. Some of them look just like incandescent, but others have a weird purplish glow and the cheap ones seem to have a perceptible flicker. My neighbor down the street put up about 2000 LED's and its almost hard to look at, its like it strains my eyes or something. Another house down a ways is all LED's and it looks really good, so I'm assuming its just depends on the brand..?

Takes about 15-20 hours to put it all up, and about 6-7 hours to take it all down and pack it away back into the attic. Its a lot of work, but I still enjoy doing it. We get cards in our mailbox and notes on the door thanking us for putting them up every year from people we don't even know, and people drive by and honk and yell "thanks" and "nice job" or whatever and that does feel good. I'll keep doing it as long as I enjoy doing it and we can afford to feed it all. It adds about $250 to our December electric bill. Ouch.

Dude has the Griswalds Beat
01.gif

Jeff

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
My wife and I are Jewish, we like seeing Xmas lights & decorations, but we don't put anything up for it. We will be the rare house in the country/county Rd with a menorah in the window during Hanukkah.

Nothing wrong with that
thumbsup2.gif

Jeff

Last edited:
Not even putting up a tree this year, in the middle of a move anyway. I would be content to drive my wife around and look at "gaudies" as she refers to houses with lots of lights, then get ice cream cones at Graeter's Ice Cream...that's a family tradition that her family has done for nearly 50 years.

https://www.graeters.com/

My bride loves Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip.

I used to do a decent Display. Nothing after my divorce in 07 with my kids grown and gone, I live alone. I just dont put up anything anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back