Are thinner oils damaging MB Bluetec engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree: there is no excuse for a timing chain which is properly designed to give this kind of trouble. It's not the oil's fault IMO.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
Originally Posted By: Tomcat728
Is it possible that extended OCI combined with the move from 229.5 to 229.51 for the DPF equipped Bluetec can be contributing to these failures?

It's more-likely that Mercedes lacks V6 experience.
These cars used to be equipped with Inline-6s which were perfectly balanced (and won "best engine" awards). Now suddenly they have V6s that shake & vibrate. The engineers failed to account for things they are not used to, and that led to engine faults.

BTW they used to recommend 5W-40 on their I-6s. It might be worthwhile to return to the old standard, to gain extra protection.

MB is in V6 business (gas) since I think 1998. Decision made only to save money. Those are years when MB was cutting expenses left and right, so they were rusting etc. Decision to go with diesel V6 was made back then and MB lost its prestige that had as a maker of best diesel engines among German manufacturers. BMW and VW left MB in dust there.
So, what is answer? MB is going back to inline 6. That is telling as how much MB has confidence in V6.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: loneryder
Here's my 2 cents. I have an 08 ML320 with the 642 diesel pre Blue additive. It requires 229.51 low saps oil. The only wgt that was ever available was 5-40. Then 5-30(229.52) was recommended strictly for café purposes I believe. I bought a bunch of Mobil 1 5-40 developed for MB when I heard they were going to quit making it. I have 1 oc left. I will switch to Valvoline 5-40 MST. Even though a 10k oci is recommended< I went 9k and sent a sample of the 5-40 for analysis. Iron was 60 and TBN was 2. I'm not comfortable with these numbers so I have gone to a 5-6k OIC. I believe that the 0/5-30 will allow excess wear. It's all about CAFE numbers for the manufacturers.
BTW. The local indy MB shop says 5-6k max OIC. He is an old guy who worked for MB for years and was their investigator for lawsuits that tried to blame MB for accidents etc. Go 10k with 0-30 at your own risks. The average MB owner doesn't keep their cars very long like a lot of us.

SO I use M1 5W30 ESP and got 24qt of Valvoline 5W40 MST on sale (use in sumemr).
Here is why 5W30 or 5W40 does not matter.
1. M1 5W30 ESP has cst of 12.2, while V 5W40 MST has 13.1. DO you really think that is big difference?
Also, more importantly, HTHS of M1 s 3.58cp, while V is 3.7. Not really significant difference. For example HTHS of M1 0W40 FS is 3.6.
2. This is why this 5W30 or 5W40 is irrelevant. In winter, my oil temp. on BMW is around 70 to 88c if I push. Cst is measured at 100c. So, actually for lubrication purposes in winter, 5W30 is better option. Most of the wear comes from cold starts and short trips, not minimal differences in oil thickness.
One thing is for sure, Valvoline is smoother then M1, but that is generally M1 deal, even in heavier oils.
I noticed one other thing that I am still monitoring.
When I was running Valvoline, my DPF regeneration cycle was approx. every 250-280km (I monitor that thru Carly). Since I switched to M1 it is every 470- 510km. M1 has SA level of 0.6, Valvoline of 0.79, and higher NOACK.
Still cannot pin point that that is 100% oil. I am switching between Shell, Conoco, Philips 66 to rule out diesel fuel as cause less frequent DPF regen. But next OCI I will use Valvoline again and check. I monitor all the time parameters.

I've noticed that intervals between regeneration shorten as oil ages. It starts with maybe every 350-450km and by the end of OCI it fells to every 200km. Probably as oil gets saturated with soot it can't handle combustion byproducts as well and thus filter gets clogged more often.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
inline 6 is preferable over v6 for a luxury vehicle with front engine and rwd. it just makes more sense.

Of course, but cost cutting....

inline 6 is preferable over v6 for a luxury vehicle with front engine and rwd. it just makes more sense.

Much harder to package. Too long, and intrudes the passenger cell in accidents. Definitely not preferred...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Much harder to package. Too long, and intrudes the passenger cell in accidents. Definitely not preferred...

Not preferred? It actually is preferred! Which is why BMW still uses an I6 and Mercedes is going back to them... Smoother, better power delivery, no need for balance shafts... Some of the best engines of all time are I6.

the extended oil change intervals is the reason, my neigbhour is a mechanic at Mercedes Benz Vancouver, there are 3 sprinter vans in the shop with siezed engines currently undergoing engine replacement.

merecedes, like BMW wants their cars to be percieved as "maintenance free", what this means in reality is that the vehicle owner just changes the engine instead of changing the oil

change the oil at half the recommended interval and ignore the oil service monitor system

http://www.stephensservice.com/bluetec-diesel-issuesproblems/

"To summarize, what oil to use in different areas & driving conditions.
Stop & go city driving in sub-zero weather. Use the 5w/30 CK-4 rated oil. Change every 3000 miles. Brand doesn’t matter.
Below freezing weather & mountain driving. Use 15W/40 CK-4 rated oil. Change every 3000 miles.
Everything else, use 10W/60 or 20W/60 & change every 5000 miles"

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Not preferred? It actually is preferred! Which is why BMW still uses an I6 and Mercedes is going back to them... Smoother, better power delivery, no need for balance shafts... Some of the best engines of all time are I6.

Show me the production numbers for all inline sixes and I'll compare that to V6's. Definitely not preferred by mfgrs!

Perhaps preferred by drivers in expensive cars? But for average cars, the inline six is an outlier for certain...

Show me the production numbers for all inline sixes and I'll compare that to V6's. Definitely not preferred by mfgrs!

Perhaps preferred by drivers in expensive cars? But for average cars, the inline six is an outlier for certain...

I think the key is that cars that generally have the i6 are RWD. Most cars with V6's are traverse mount with the Charger/Challenger/300 and the Mustang/Camaro as exceptions.

Where do you get that from ?

Ford's Falcon in Aus has been straight 6 forever...and gets 5 stars all day every day...

Straights ARE a much nicer engine than any V-6 I've come across.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I think the key is that cars that generally have the i6 are RWD. Most cars with V6's are traverse mount with the Charger/Challenger/300 and the Mustang/Camaro as exceptions.

Oz Commodore went V-6 in the late 80s, competing head to head with the falcon.

The V isn't as nice as the straight, rougher and sounds it.

Of course not. They are cheaper, fit smaller spaces, which allows sharing small platforms etc. That is why VW can use MQB in Golf and Atlas which is ridiculous stretch.
Everything is on a side of I6, except price.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Where do you get that from ?

Ford's Falcon in Aus has been straight 6 forever...and gets 5 stars all day every day...

Straights ARE a much nicer engine than any V-6 I've come across.

Intrudes passenger cell? You really can hear everything here.

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
the extended oil change intervals is the reason, my neigbhour is a mechanic at Mercedes Benz Vancouver, there are 3 sprinter vans in the shop with siezed engines currently undergoing engine replacement.

merecedes, like BMW wants their cars to be percieved as "maintenance free", what this means in reality is that the vehicle owner just changes the engine instead of changing the oil

change the oil at half the recommended interval and ignore the oil service monitor system

Stop & go city driving in sub-zero weather. Use the 5w/30 CK-4 rated oil. Change every 3000 miles. Brand doesn’t matter.
Below freezing weather & mountain driving. Use 15W/40 CK-4 rated oil. Change every 3000 miles.

That link was a good read on both oil technology and maintenance out in the field. While I don't own a diesel, I found it useful.

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls

This requires good
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Alfa Romea Arese V6 is considered to be one of the best engines in the world at that time. Still great today. Better than old BMW's inline 6, except M of course.

New Alfa 2.9 V6 Biturbo seems better than BMW. Well, that is what journalist say.

Today engine configuration isn't the real factor how it will perform. BMW produce great engines because it is a BMW. That is their niche. One cannot expect that a mass produced Toyota will have same power delivery or smoothness but the gap is getting smaller.

I6 have a VERY long crankshaft and camshafts. Long crankshafts twist at higher rpm, and that alone can cause trouble. Not to mention that long cylinder head.
Well built V6, like Alfa Romeo really doesn't fall behind in any segment of performance IMO.

Originally Posted By: chrisri

Alfa Romea Arese V6 is considered to be one of the best engines in the world at that time. Still great today. Better than old BMW's inline 6, except M of course.

New Alfa 2.9 V6 Biturbo seems better than BMW. Well, that is what journalist say.

Today engine configuration isn't the real factor how it will perform. BMW produce great engines because it is a BMW. That is their niche. One cannot expect that a mass produced Toyota will have same power delivery or smoothness but the gap is getting smaller.

I6 have a VERY long crankshaft and camshafts. Long crankshafts twist at higher rpm, and that alone can cause trouble. Not to mention that long cylinder head.
Well built V6, like Alfa Romeo really doesn't fall behind in any segment of performance IMO.

It is not only performance numbers. It is longevity, quality of manufacturing (talking about Alfa, and we will see how new Alfa does in 7-10 years, not now). M engine from E46 had great numbers, sound etc. but had big problems with bearing rod. At the same time, 330i from same E46, can run million miles and apparently just warmed up. It is also the fact that with I6 you can distribute weight better, position engine more behind front axle, etc.

Alfa never had problems with their engines, you as a European should know that. Alfa/Fiat engines are well known for their longevity, diesels having almost cult status.

My friends e46 330d dumped fuel info a crankcase via high pressure pump and caused engine to overrun at 200K. He had kid and a wife in a car, and thankfully he is mechanically inclined so he stopped the engine before it run over. What would happen if the missus was driving?
BMW is getting to stupid for its own good.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Alfa never had problems with their engines, you as a European should know that. Alfa/Fiat engines are well known for their longevity, diesels having almost cult status.

My friends e46 330d dumped fuel info a crankcase via high pressure pump and caused engine to overrun at 200K. He had kid and a wife in a car, and thankfully he is mechanically inclined so he stopped the engine before it run over. What would happen if the missus was driving?
BMW is getting to stupid for its own good.

Is that why we have another thread on another forum about Fiat V6 and CJ-4 oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back