2015 Ecodiesel lasts 270k on original engine running P66 Guardol XT 5w40

An Ecodiesel made it to 270k on the original engine @ 10k intervals? Crazy!

XT has SN, CK-4, healthy ZDDP, 1280 ppm and a high HTHS for a 5w40 @ 4.2 cP. Both properties probably help keep this engine together for so long.

I got a case of this stuff on sale from my local distributor for less than $30/gallon back in 2020. It has PAO and seemed like a good value for the price. Waiting to use up my D1 stash before trying XT.

Enjoy!

I dont think it is so crazy.
In this example you have a diesel which should have longevity from lower rpm.
and very high yearly mileage.. that is 30k miles a year or 3 oil changes per year.

Doesnt seem so crazy IMO.

Except it’s an Ecodiesel, the biggest POS diesel engine ever put in a truck. It’s even worse than the 6.0 and 6.4 Ford diesels.

Did I miss it or did they not provide a reason it was being torn down? I'm with @Rand here, this doesn't seem all that crazy to me. I like P66 however, so it was at least interesting to see the results of using their fluid. My father-in-law worked for P66 for many, many years.

Did I miss it or did they not provide a reason it was being torn down? I'm with @Rand here, this doesn't seem all that crazy to me. I like P66 however, so it was at least interesting to see the results of using their fluid. My father-in-law worked for P66 for many, many years.

One of the rods looked damaged in the video, Although the teardown reason wasn’t given, my guess would be that rod.

If I am not mistaken the Guardol 5w-40 diesel oil is exactly the same as the Motorcraft 5w-40 diesel oil. Phillips bottles Motorcraft branded oil. Exact same as the Kendall (Phillips) 5w-40 . I compared the MDS and they were virtually identical except for batch variances.

If I am not mistaken the Guardol 5w-40 diesel oil is exactly the same as the Motorcraft 5w-40 diesel oil. Phillips bottles Motorcraft branded oil. Exact same as the Kendall (Phillips) 5w-40 . I compared the MDS and they were virtually identical except for batch variances.

Not sure which Guardol you looked at but the XT physical properties are different than motorcraft synthetic 5w40. Motorcraft synthetic looks like a typical Rotella T6 type product not really impressive and PAO isn’t listed. I can’t believe people pay $70 for a 5 quart bottle TBH.

P66 doesn’t market HD oil under the kendall name anymore. I haven’t seen that stuff in probably 5 years.

I’m tempted to run Deere plus 50 ii 5w-40 in my 6.7 Cummins since it has A LOT of Moly and Boron in it.. it’s not api certified but Deere says it’s good for any diesels with modern emissions junk on them.. and Deere has large equipment with a few 15+ liter Cummins in them, I’m sure they recommend Deere plus 50 ii in them..

I’m tempted to run Deere plus 50 ii 5w-40 in my 6.7 Cummins since it has A LOT of Moly and Boron in it.. it’s not api certified but Deere says it’s good for any diesels with modern emissions junk on them.. and Deere has large equipment with a few 15+ liter Cummins in them, I’m sure they recommend Deere plus 50 ii in them..

I didn’t know JD had a synthetic 5w40. The low PP suggests it has same PAO too. Price isn’t crazy either @ $40/gallon. Not a bad deal.

Hope to see a UOA on it from you in the future!

I didn’t know JD had a synthetic 5w40. The low PP suggests it has same PAO too. Price isn’t crazy either @ $40/gallon. Not a bad deal.

Hope to see a UOA on it from you in the future!

Yes, Deere makes or formulates a 5w-40 but you likely have to order from green parts store. Most Deere dealers carry 0w-40, 10w-30, or 15w-40 Plus 50 ii

It’s CK-4

Plus 50 ii doesn’t have a crazy amount of zinc or phosphorus but it has like 242 ppm of moly and 240 ppm boron.

Back