Are these Motorcraft Spark Plugs Counterfeit? SP413

I bought these SP413X for my Crown Victoria. Looking at them i've never seen "Sell Pack"s from MC. Other weird thing is I have found these plugs to be nickel online but the packaging says copper. Any ideas if they are counterfeit or legit?

Purchased from RockAuto

IMG_20230710_134232277.jpg
IMG_20230710_134308727.jpg
IMG_20230710_134322706_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230710_134338916.jpg

Last edited:
I bought these SP413X for my Crown Victoria. Looking at them i've never seen "Sell Pack"s from MC. Other weird thing is I have found these plugs to be nickel online but the packaging says copper. Any ideas if they are counterfeit or legit?
On the tips, no plugs are copper tips. That would melt in a hurry. A nickel alloy is used for tips on inexpensive plugs.

Look fake to me, MC plugs are made by NGK so there should be an NGK part number on the metal plug base if they are legit.

Look fake to me, MC plugs are made by NGK so there should be an NGK part number on the metal plug base if they are legit.
Not all of them do. I'll try to remember to post a pic of a factory plug out of my 2018 2.7 when I get to the house. No NGK# on them. I don't think there was an NGK# on the SP-594's I installed (from Advance Auto)

Gotta be ultra cautious with Motorcraft stuff. Lots of counterfeit out there in auto-land.

Did a little more research. Apparently the "X" designates its a copper plug. The regular SP413 are nickel. The plugs I pulled out are finewire from Motorcraft (SP405) with writing on the base of the metal. Probably just gonna end up trashing these ones and spring for the SP405s.

The packaging looks legit. They have had the Sell Pack thing for a few years now. They all got the X on the end thanks to Ford's terrible new RIM program that stuffs dealers with thousands of dollars of parts that we don't sell often enough to normally give shelf space.

Did a little more research. Apparently the "X" designates its a copper plug. The regular SP413 are nickel. The plugs I pulled out are finewire from Motorcraft (SP405) with writing on the base of the metal. Probably just gonna end up trashing these ones and spring for the SP405s.
The X in no way signifies it is copper.

Again that’s not how it works. You’re talking about two different things, there are no nickel conductor plugs just as there are no copper electrode plugs.

Not all of them do. I'll try to remember to post a pic of a factory plug out of my 2018 2.7 when I get to the house. No NGK# on them. I don't think there was an NGK# on the SP-594's I installed (from Advance Auto)

Gotta be ultra cautious with Motorcraft stuff. Lots of counterfeit out there in auto-land.
The MC plugs in my GT500 are made by NGK and have an NGK part number on them, guess I assumed all MC plugs newer than 98 are like that as all 3 of my Fords are that way.

The X indicates that we as a dealer can order them in just a 4 pack on the new RIM Rapid Inventory Management program. Before that we had to order spark plugs in either boxes of 48 or 96 depending on the part number. As you can see, the X is behind all types of plugs. That is just part of my spark plug bin, but I think my point is made.

IMG_7269.jpg
IMG_7270.jpg
IMG_7271.jpg
IMG_7268.jpg

Note the copper core and the nickel center electrode and ground electrode. This is how these exotic alloy long lasting spark plugs are made. They still have plain old copper as a conductor. They'll also have a high resistance resistor on the center electrode to suppress electrical noise.

spark plug.JPG

Standard spark plugs are a copper core for heat dissipation and a nickel alloy outer layer for durability of the part that sparks. They're both copper and nickel, or either copper or nickel. The distinction is that they have no platinum, iridium, etc.

Yes they can be both but not at the same time. The copper conductor stops at the electrode.

The X indicates that we as a dealer can order them in just a 4 pack on the new RIM Rapid Inventory Management program. Before that we had to order spark plugs in either boxes of 48 or 96 depending on the part number. As you can see, the X is behind all types of plugs. That is just part of my spark plug bin, but I think my point is made.

View attachment 166141View attachment 166142View attachment 166143View attachment 166144
Your spark plug bin is sure looking sparse. I hope you get a shipment soon.

Do you still have the box rock auto shipped from? IF so google map the return address. See where it originated from. My last RA order originated from a parts+Plus warehouse in Ohio. While its still possible they get counterfeit, its not likely.

Back