Are these fake Honda oil filters?

Does anyone know what aftermarket filter this “fake” honda one resembles the most to?
All we get to see is the base-plate. 8 holes is likely the most common configuration - so its hard to say. I have that style from Ecogard, Groener (spelling? / Nissan OEM), Denso - all have 8 holes. Probably many others. However if it is really a fake - then its being made in China by who knows who?

What does the inside look like?

I have no side, except being very skeptical of any ebay seller who is not a OEM franchisee if they are selling OEM stuff.

Hope everyone learns their lesson...unless there is a real good reason, just go to the parts counter or buy online from a franchisee.
I completely agree with you but now that I'm parting out my large stash of OEM Civic parts, wondering if I don't sell them on ebay.. I don't need people to think I'm lying.. Because I do have a lot of legit Honda parts and even have a couple of new, old stock, A01 oil filters I'll be putting up for sale.. Just have to see how many I have it's either 4 or 5 left. Guess my point is, now that I'm on the selling side, don't want people to think they're fake.

“Fake” one is made by Mahle Shanghaii filter systems.

So this filter is made in shanghai, made in japan, assembled in usa. 😂😂😂

15400-rta-003 are made by mahle tennex japan

Attachments

• IMG_8009.jpeg
    IMG_8009.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 43
I know that HONDA uses FIL-TEC out of the factory and FRAM from the dealers. Probably other Mfg's as well.

Last edited:
I completely agree with you but now that I'm parting out my large stash of OEM Civic parts, wondering if I don't sell them on ebay.. I don't need people to think I'm lying.. Because I do have a lot of legit Honda parts and even have a couple of new, old stock, A01 oil filters I'll be putting up for sale.. Just have to see how many I have it's either 4 or 5 left. Guess my point is, now that I'm on the selling side, don't want people to think they're fake.
Filters and plugs seem to be the most often faked items. I don't buy much of anything on ebay anymore mostly because its over-run by scammers, but if I needed a 10year old NOS starter, I would be OK buying one on ebay from someone thats been there a while with a good seller score, because I doubt someone would fake the box for a one off item.

Filters and plugs seem to be the most often faked items. I don't buy much of anything on ebay anymore mostly because its over-run by scammers, but if I needed a 10year old NOS starter, I would be OK buying one on ebay from someone thats been there a while with a good seller score, because I doubt someone would fake the box for a one off item.
Ya I didn't want to be mixed in with the scammers. And I do have a lot of NGK plugs stocked up but now going to sell. And here I'll be first time selling anything, been buying for years. Oh well, I might find somewhere else to sell my stash of parts.

I'd say its more likely that Honda has multiple vendors that supply filters.

Imagine we’ve been taught by the people who charge the highest prices, that if we don’t pay those prices, we may as well assume fake.

I even did the same with the Dewalt 20V batteries. I fully believe that when eBay is $70 and Amazon is $130, $70 is fake. But when they cannot be distinguished as different, and they still work 7.5 years later, I really do question was it worth worrying about. Now a tool is different than an engine and the consequences of using a substandard product.

I do use eBay a lot. For an oil filter I’d only buy from a dealer, but mine are usually Rock and 2x Amazon for Mobil 1 cuz I wanted to try them. That’s me ymmv

Top filter in each photo is Ebay Honda filter

Bottom filter in each picture is From Honda - looks like the fram filters

The oil inlet holes are much different and the “fake” one says made in japan.

The stickers both say A02

Your thoughts? If they are fake, which known filter do they resemble the most to?

Blatantly obvious it is a counterfeit.

Clues

#1 Unfamilair design that appears to be like the old-er (found defective) Nissan filters

#2 The Product Label drawing/doc number was that assigned to the previous FILTECH supplier,

#3 The -A02 suffix would vary with supplier - this is a different supplier.

#4 The Product Label drawing/doc number does not match the SKU or the product appearance

If your A01's are the 15400-PLM-A01 from Filtech and you have no use for them, PM how much you want for them. They were always rated good filters. I'm not looking to spend more then Fram Endurance or other quality filters locally but with 3 Honda's in the fleet they would get used up.

I decided to return them. Ebay return system automatically approved the return with a return label.

Im sure these will fine for use but im not cool that they lied about it being genuine.

If your A01's are the 15400-PLM-A01 from Filtech and you have no use for them, PM how much you want for them. They were always rated good filters. I'm not looking to spend more then Fram Endurance or other quality filters locally but with 3 Honda's in the fleet they would get used up.
Yes they're the real deal, I'll PM you. I'll throw in the Honda (in the Honda bag) crush washers for free, no problem.. At least I know they're going to a good home! :geek:

Back