Are Hyundais reliable?

Outside of the 4 cylinder engines since 2011, they are good cars. I'm a fan.

So get something 6 cylinder or older than 2011.

Consumer reports rates Kia/Hyundai #10, and #11 out of 30 car brands. The top 6 are Lexus, Toyota, Mini, Acura, Honda, and Subaru.
Of the vehicles most likely to make 200K miles, most are large Toyota SUVs, plus GM Tahoe and Suburban, and Ford Expedition. Most all of the are full frame type, plus the Toyota Highlander and Avalon.

If you are worried about reliability, just get a Toyota, or Subaru for the snow belt.

They seem more reliable than they used to be. I think as Hyundai as a brand builds vehicles affordably, but they do not last. If I see a old Hyundai around, the headlights are all hazed yellowed, but it is rare to see a older model on the road.

Short term they are a good value, buy to keep? They are not a good value.

Are Hyundais reliable?​

grumpy-cat-no-5-300x194.jpg

If you stay away from the Theta2 engines you will have a car that is pretty reliable. Of the numerous Hyundai/Kias that we have owned they have been good. My daughter who owns a Nissan Rogue has dumped more money into that thing than we have the total of all the Hyundais.

My wife's 2011 Sonata, aside from the engine (yay Theta-ii), has been amazingly reliable. It's got 250k miles on it or so, and it's going strong. Transmission is doing great, all the electrics still work as they should (although the LCD screen for the radio died, but eh. The factory head got replaced with an Android Auto-equipped unit anyhow.)

Gave my '17 Soul w 127K to my daughter. It threw a p1326 code coming back from looking at the eclipse. Generally this means a cooked engine but she dropped it off at the dealer after driving it with a flashing engine light. Surprise, the knock sensor was faulty and they replaced it under the extended 150K warranty. No questions asked although they suggested a bunch of unnecessary services, expected from any dealer. Also hardened the ignition switch to scare off the Kia Boyz. Main question I have going forward is whether Kia is installing a bunch of faulty knock sensors. Putting in another one post extended warranty might be fairly expensive. After four days of worrying, I'm still in the HyunKia camp with pretty good luck all around.

I can't do Subaru. I have friends that have various models and can't stant them. for some reason. they don' t feel right.

They seem more reliable than they used to be. I think as Hyundai as a brand builds vehicles affordably, but they do not last. If I see a old Hyundai around, the headlights are all hazed yellowed, but it is rare to see a older model on the road.

Short term they are a good value, buy to keep? They are not a good value.
Maybe you're not noticing. I see lots of pre-GDI twenty plus year old cars on the road, especially since they weren't big selling brands in 2002. If only they'd kept the pre-GDI World Engine in those cars rather than trying to squeeze that little bit extra out of the power train we'd all be better. Of course many brands went down hill in reliability during the teens.

Back