Are Hyundais reliable?

$20k could still buy a decent Rav4 or CR-V. It just wouldn't be as new. I would lean in that direction. I've personally had good luck with the Hyundai products that I have owned but it's undeniable that the manufacturer has had some significant issues lately. I wouldn't rule them out as a contender but you have to do some due diligence on what years, engines, etc. are problematic.

If it’s just NA engine-then yes. Otherwise, no.

Best bet long term are the base models that still have a NA engine in them……

Four Kia's and a Hyundai plus others in family. No real problems. The GDI's of the teens burned oil. Lots of Souls owned by eighteen year old girls who ask "what does the teapot light mean?" I continue to yell at my kids, "check the **** dipstick". Hopefully they will. Not putting a chip in keys so as to save a few bucks was dumb, dumb, dumb. My '23 has push button start but I often put a brightly colored steering wheel lock so the idiots won't smash the window first and look later.

now i understand the other thread.... you're using CRV as an abbreviation for Crossover... but most of us are thinking of the Honda CR-V model....

You have to do your research on specific models and years OP. There is NO brand imho, that you can give a general 'reliable' or 'unreliable' rating across all their vehicles. All makers have made some great cars, and some terrible ones. It;s up to the buyer to do their research on specific models and years. I would never buy a model I knew absolutely nothing about because it had lot's of great features and drove nice. You have to do your research or risk expensive problems later. Good luck.

Anyone think the Santa Fe or Tuscon are reliable CRV'S. Looking at low mileage 20-21 that future daughter inlaw likes. I favor Toyota or Honda but she only has 20K to work with out the door.
Of those two, I would pick the Tucson. The base Tucson uses a standard automatic transmission. The Santa Fe uses a DCT.
Add a low mileage VW Tiguan to the list for consideration.
Look at the Chevy Equinox too.

I've learned it's best not to butt in with vehicle recommendations to family and friends at this point. Reliability seems to be the only concern with some people.

What about comfort? What is comfortable for you might suck for someone else.

The 2020 Tuscon has limited thigh support that could be problematic for some people. And it might not show up on a 6 minute test drive. The center console hems in the driver’s right knee on it, too.

As an avid VW and Jeep owner H/K is a bridge to far for me lol. That being said I have never had problems with my VW or Jeep and have taken many to 150+ miles with bitog level maintenance lol.
I think that is where many average H/K owners drop the ball and run them in the ground.

As an avid VW and Jeep owner H/K is a bridge to far for me lol. That being said I have never had problems with my VW or Jeep and have taken many to 150+ miles with bitog level maintenance lol.
I think that is where many average H/K owners drop the ball and run them in the ground.
It’s interesting to me that members here don’t suffer the internet statistics bcs we really PM and drive our vehicles with care - yet many will reach and grab internet fluff as confirmation bias in motion …

Back