AR-15 Prices

Last night I was looking at AR-15 prices on my favorite firearms website, GRAB A GUN. They definitely have jacked up the prices on AR-15's. My 2 favorite level entry rifles are the Ruger AR556 (Model #8500) and the S&W Sport II. When I bought my AR556 back in 2016 I paid $469. It is now $799! SERIOUSLY? :oops:
What's your favorite entry level AR-15, and how much is it now compared to what it was before this pandemic?

Shop around . Purchase a complete upper of your choice . Purchase a stripped lower . Purchase a stock of your choice . Purchase a lower parts kit of your choice . Purchase a punch set for roll pins .

There are several instructional videos on the internet . Check Brownells or Midway or do a google search . ( Hint - might purchase a few spare detents and springs . ) Purchasing a complete upper takes care of most of the work .

God bless
Wyr

Shop around . Purchase a complete upper of your choice . Purchase a stripped lower . Purchase a stock of your choice . Purchase a lower parts kit of your choice . Purchase a punch set for roll pins .

There are several instructional videos on the internet . Check Brownells or Midway or do a google search . ( Hint - might purchase a few spare detents and springs . ) Purchasing a complete upper takes care of most of the work .

God bless
Wyr
Thank you WT.
My AR building days are over. I have built 7 AR-15's using most parts bought from PSA. I sold all but 2; My Ruger AR556 and a built 300 Blackout.
BTW, I only use ToolCraft BCG's.

Last night I was looking at AR-15 prices on my favorite firearms website, GRAB A GUN. They definitely have jacked up the prices on AR-15's. My 2 favorite level entry rifles are the Ruger AR556 (Model #8500) and the S&W Sport II. When I bought my AR556 back in 2016 I paid $469. It is now $799! SERIOUSLY? :oops:
What's your favorite entry level AR-15, and how much is it now compared to what it was before this pandemic?

I'm interested in how this topic goes for multiple reasons but I need to ask a question.

What do you consider an "entry" level AR?

Such as qualifications, attributes, finish, features, stock, grips, guards, etc.?

I know that's an individual floating answer- I'm hunting a consensus if possible

I'm interested in how this topic goes for multiple reasons but I need to ask a question.

What do you consider an "entry" level AR?

Such as qualifications, attributes, finish, features, stock, grips, guards, etc.?

I know that's an individual floating answer- I'm hunting a consensus if possible
An AR that's put together by a company and introduces it as a new firearm available to the public.
That's the best I can come up with. What's your outlook on an entry level AR? :unsure:

What's your outlook on an entry level AR? :unsure:

I'm looking to base "my" outlook on what my eventual customer base thinks it is ( along the lines that if you put only things you would buy in your inventory- you will be the only one shopping there)

In a few more years I'll be back in the firearms business full time for retirement as a Type 10/Class 3 so I have a vested interest in the answers.

I would call an entry level the literally cheapest possible functional AR ( caliber specific), no frills stock, sights, barrel, finishes/coatings and hand guard. It would hold 1" MOA and that's about it.

Yet would be fully customizable up to a match grade tack driver or fully armor plated field weapon.

In my mind, that would give a buyer a full range of options.

I'm looking to base "my" outlook on what my eventual customer base thinks it is ( along the lines that if you put only things you would buy in your inventory- you will be the only one shopping there)

In a few more years I'll be back in the firearms business full time for retirement as a Type 10/Class 3 so I have a vested interest in the answers.

I would call an entry level the literally cheapest possible functional AR ( caliber specific), no frills stock, sights, barrel, finishes/coatings and hand guard. It would hold 1" MOA and that's about it.

Yet would be fully customizable up to a match grade tack driver or fully armor plated field weapon.

In my mind, that would give a buyer a full range of options.
I think pretty much all of that is right on target. Except the 1 MOA part. I don't think it's very common to pick up a $500-650 AR15 and shoot 1 MOA with it. And I don't think most people would expect it to either.

Not that shooting 1 MOA is a bad thing! Just seems like a lofty goal for a budget/entry level AR. I guess I might be equating entry level with lower priced......

Seriously guyS the gun itself ain’t much of a sniper rifle. All the gov issues I ever carried were about the same build quality as any of the ones you build yourself. They probably won’t hold up to pray and spray long term but then you’re not gonna be doing that anyway. As for triggers I never saw a Really good one on a GI 16 ever .Everything is pretty much the same in any of them.

Not that shooting 1 MOA is a bad thing! Just seems like a lofty goal for a budget/entry level AR. I guess I might be equating entry level with lower priced......

This is currently a WIP under development and ultimately the cost to manufacture will have a significant bearing on the baseline weapon.

That being said, I also want something "high end" ( probably not the best words but something to establish a brand distinction and let people know they are not buying junk) to carry the baseline design and I'm willing to do some barrel and receiver modification to achieve that. ( coat depending)

I don't want low price to be synonymous with bad quality as it often is

I bought my AR556 in the summer of 2016...paid $680 for it. I've seen them as low as $500 but you're right, $800 is the going price. Makes me feel like I got a bargain.☺

Don't forget, every manufacturer of a complete rifle/carbine has to pay the Federal 11% excise tax. Buy that rifle as a complete upper with charging handle and BCG, and a complete lower and the seller saves that 11% and can pass the tax savings on to you.

I may change my tune when I finally get to the range and shoot my Ruger AR556 and compare it to my Frankenbuilds. Based on the feel of the trigger action though, I dont think the Ruger will rank well unless I replace the trigger group. Even the non-polished PSA group feels much better.1

Don't forget, every manufacturer of a complete rifle/carbine has to pay the Federal 11% excise tax. Buy that rifle as a complete upper with charging handle and BCG, and a complete lower and the seller saves that 11% and can pass the tax savings on to you.

I may change my tune when I finally get to the range and shoot my Ruger AR556 and compare it to my Frankenbuilds. Based on the feel of the trigger action though, I dont think the Ruger will rank well unless I replace the trigger group. Even the non-polished PSA group feels much better.1
I installed a BCM PNT trigger with JP Enterprises 3.5 lb. springs, in my AR556. I can shoot a gnat off of a fleas arse at 100 yards! :cool:

Back