Approved Olive Oils

I think Star was one of the brands that was caught cutting their olive oil a few years back. From what I remember a well-known PBS chef had them as a sponsor but dropped them as a result. They also use clear bottles which is a bad thing as light isn't good for olive oil.
I think you're mistaken.
Star EVOO is NAOOA certified and they don't use clear bottles, they use thick dark green bottles.
Check back a few replies and I posted a photo of it.

The california olive ranch delicate is still EVOO(a blend from several countries).. just not as much flavor if you are looking for something more neutral tasting.

Metal cans are the best followed by tinted glass, then clear glass then plastic as far as containers.

That being said a couple smaller glass bottles is better than a 1 gallon metal can that is going to sit there for a year.

I purchased some Pompeiian today.

I used to like Filippo Berio.

My goal is to consume one capful before going to sleep, until my $7 bottle is empty.

Every other bottle cost more than $7.

I think you're mistaken.
Star EVOO is NAOOA certified and they don't use clear bottles, they use thick dark green bottles.
Check back a few replies and I posted a photo of it.

Star is more or less an importer. There are some products they actually make or at least package, but for the most part they buy from suppliers.

Still - I think it's kind of silly to believe that there has to be any kind of "certification" for olive oils. If I like it, it shouldn't really matter. Honestly the best olive oil I've ever had was one I picked up from a farmers market and sold by the bottler/grower. He had a farm near Orland, California in the upper north of the Central Valley although the owner lived in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm not sure how he handled all of that. But it was unique and frankly I don't think a small-time source like that can afford to pay anyone a certification fee.

But it was unique and frankly I don't think a small-time source like that can afford to pay anyone a certification fee.

It makes me wonder how much the fee is.

The NAOOA buys the oils they test.

The North American Olive Oil Association (NAOOA) conducts the nation's largest and most complete olive oil testing and certification program. We purchase olive oil from supermarkets in the USA and Canada and test multiple times per year for adherence to the physico-chemical standards set by the International Olive Council (IOC) for both purity and quality. The olive oils listed below are currently certified. Look for our About Olive Oil.Org quality seal when shopping for olive oils.

It makes me wonder how much the fee is.

The NAOOA buys the oils they test.

The North American Olive Oil Association (NAOOA) conducts the nation's largest and most complete olive oil testing and certification program. We purchase olive oil from supermarkets in the USA and Canada and test multiple times per year for adherence to the physico-chemical standards set by the International Olive Council (IOC) for both purity and quality. The olive oils listed below are currently certified. Look for our About Olive Oil.Org quality seal when shopping for olive oils.

They have a very short list. I'm certainly not going to limit my purchases to it. Besides that, even they say that the risk of "adulteration" is low. And their FAQ notes that there's a fee for each product, and they're only tested at the request of the seller. The reason why they buy the oil from stores seems like they're thinking of the possibility of a company making special samples just for them. It has nothing to do with the costs to the company.

The brand I usually buy does not have your seal…when will you test it?
We only test brands that agree to be part of our program. Please inquire with the brand and suggest that they might join.​
I just purchased a bottle from a company whose name is listed on your webpage of certified brands, but the bottle does not have the seal on the label. Does that mean it is not authentic?
No. There are a couple of reasons why this may be the case. First, the AboutOliveOil.org Quality Seal program is product specific—not company specific. Companies have to pay the fee for each separate named product. A company might agree to pay the fee for their best-selling item, e.g., “Premium EVOO,” but not for a product that does not have wide distribution or high sales, e.g. “Organic Limited Edition EVOO.”​
Second, companies in the program are not required to put the AboutOliveOil.org seal on their labels. Many are content just to have the seal listed on the website or share the information with retailers because labels get crowded and they may wish to use the space for other information.​
********​
I just purchased a bottle from a company whose name is listed on your webpage of certified brands, but the bottle does not have the seal on the label. Does that mean it is not authentic?
No. There are a couple of reasons why this may be the case. First, the AboutOliveOil.org Quality Seal program is product specific—not company specific. Companies have to pay the fee for each separate named product. A company might agree to pay the fee for their best-selling item, e.g., “Premium EVOO,” but not for a product that does not have wide distribution or high sales, e.g. “Organic Limited Edition EVOO.”​
Second, companies in the program are not required to put the AboutOliveOil.org seal on their labels. Many are content just to have the seal listed on the website or share the information with retailers because labels get crowded and they may wish to use the space for other information.​

Why would metal be better than glass? don't metal cans contain toxic sealants like BPA?

Tin plated cans contain plastic sealants (as well as aluminum), but BPA is being increasingly phased out. I believe the general idea with cans is that they protect against light better than glass or plastic. Exposure to light will degrade many of the compounds, like how clear glass bottles are rarely used for beer.

They have a very short list. I'm certainly not going to limit my purchases to it.
I have a bottle of Cento EVOO in a dark green glass bottle and it tastes good to me. It's not on this list.

I'm going to get a bottle of California Olive Ranch EVOO some day, and Walmart has an organic EVOO from Tunisia I might try.
I'm also going to try Colavita and others.

One good thing about EVOO in cans is the price.
It's more economical than bottled EVOO.

If the plastic they use to make EVOO bottles isn't toxic any more, then the quality of EVOO in plastic bottles is as good as the EVOO in glass, or close to it. EVOO in plastic jugs is priced lower than EVOO in glass bottles.

I may get a 1.5 liter plastic jug of Star EVOO for about $14.

If the plastic they use to make EVOO bottles isn't toxic any more, then the quality of EVOO in plastic bottles is as good as the EVOO in glass, or close to it. EVOO in plastic jugs is priced lower than EVOO in glass bottles.

I may get a 1.5 liter plastic jug of Star EVOO for about $14.

I've purchased olive oil in plastic bottles. It's almost universally made with PET (polyethylene terephthalate) plastics, which are what's used in lots of food packaging as well as bottled water. It's generally considered safe with no leaching of anything considered harmful.

Back