Approved Olive Oils

These days they say some olive oils are cut with other oils, but this website supposedly has brands that have been tested and are authentic olive oils.
I now use only olive oils approved by this website.

NAOOA Certified Olive Oils

I like California Olive Ranch 100% california grown.

Target sells it 9.99/ .5liter
sams club has it sometimes 1 liter for 11.98
just used some tonight on my pan fried pork chops and baked(roasted) asparagus.
1648862194418.png

Their regular "mild" variety is quite good too if you like lower flavor.

Frequently Asked Questions​

How does the AboutOliveOil.org Seal Program work?

Participants in the AboutOliveOil.org Seal Program must agree to have us randomly test their products, which we sample from store shelves, and submit the samples to certified independent laboratories. The oils are tested to ensure that they meet or exceed the physico-chemical standards set by the International Olive Council to ascertain purity and quality. Participants pay a fee to participate in the program and license the AboutOliveOil.org Seal for use on their packaging. It does not mean that we test every bottle or even every lot. However, the penalty for getting caught is severe. If we can confirm that a product we have tested is not authentic, the company is required to conduct a recall of the licensed products from all stores across North America.

Do you test all brands?

No. We only test bottles of companies that agree to take part in the program. The program is currently only open to members of the North American Olive Oil Association.

Does the fact that an olive oil does not have your seal mean that the olive oil is not authentic?

The answer is emphatically no. According to a study conducted by scientists from the FDA in a study published in 2015 that the risk of purchasing a bottle of adulterated EVOO is low (less than 5%). The scientists randomly sampled 88 bottles of EVOO that they purchased from supermarkets and online stores, and did not find a single instance of adulteration. We invite you to read more stories related to olive oil quality on our blog. So even if a product does not have a certification seal, you should feel confident you are getting authentic products, especially if you buy from a retailer that you trust, select a brand that you know, and/or do not pay a price that is “too-good-to-be-true.”

The brand I usually buy does not have your seal…when will you test it?

We only test brands that agree to be part of our program. Please inquire with the brand and suggest that they might join.

I just purchased a bottle from a company whose name is listed on your webpage of certified brands, but the bottle does not have the seal on the label. Does that mean it is not authentic?

No. There are a couple of reasons why this may be the case. First, the AboutOliveOil.org Quality Seal program is product specific—not company specific. Companies have to pay the fee for each separate named product. A company might agree to pay the fee for their best-selling item, e.g., “Premium EVOO,” but not for a product that does not have wide distribution or high sales, e.g. “Organic Limited Edition EVOO.”

Second, companies in the program are not required to put the AboutOliveOil.org seal on their labels. Many are content just to have the seal listed on the website or share the information with retailers because labels get crowded and they may wish to use the space for other information.

Last edited:
This is good to know. My favorite gun holster maker advises applying a very thin coat to their holsters if the surface becomes too dry.

These are all NAOOA Certified Olive Oils.

I've decided not to consume "light tasting" or "light" olive oil any more. I also will only buy EVOO in dark tinted glass bottles, not plastic.
All of the health benefits are in EVOO, and the more you choose to pay for EVOO, the more benefits you may receive. Some of it may be overpriced and not worth the cost.

I used to make mayo with light tasting olive oil, it makes good mayo, but I'd rather just drizzle pure EVOO on my food and get more health benefits. Some people actually consume a whole liter of EVOO per week. I probably use about 1 TBS of EVOO per meal now.
EVOO makes a good oil for sautėing also. I love the odor of heated EVOO in a frying pan, it reminds me of home 50 years ago.
EVOO is supposedly much healthier than saturated fats for things like skin problems.

Star EVOO is IMHO an excellent EVOO and is priced very fairly and comes in a nice, thick green glass bottle. I got this 17 oz bottle of it on sale for $5.
But at least I'm now using what are probably better EVOOs than some out there.

So EVOO is the best (if it's authentic). "Pure olive oil" is like a by product of EVOO, and "light tasting" olive oil has only a fraction of the health benefits of EVOO.

P2170611.JPG

Last edited:
These days they say some olive oils are cut with other oils, but this website supposedly has brands that have been tested and are authentic olive oils.
I now use only olive oils approved by this website.

NAOOA Certified Olive Oils
A number of years ago The New Yorker published an article about this happening with Italian Olive Oil. Like mixing Turkish and North African Olive Oil with Italian and passing it off as Primo. This is presently being addressed. Have not heard about this happening in the U.S. Like California wine Olive oil is blended from various sources. NAPA, Sonoma, etc wines are mixed 30% with San Joaquin Valley wines unless they are stated as not. Are you saying "Estate", premium Olive Oils are being blended with others?

Here in Texas somebody comes to an Olive Orchard a mile from my house and processes the oil with a mobile unit and I can buy it diredt from the grower. While maybe not profitable, Oilives only begin to produce the best after 100 years.

A number of years ago The New Yorker published an article about this happening with Italian Olive Oil. Like mixing Turkish and North African Olive Oil with Italian and passing it off as Primo. This is presently being addressed. Have not heard about this happening in the U.S. Like California wine Olive oil is blended from various sources. NAPA, Sonoma, etc wines are mixed 30% with San Joaquin Valley wines unless they are stated as not. Are you saying "Estate", premium Olive Oils are being blended with others?

Here in Texas somebody comes to an Olive Orchard a mile from my house and processes the oil with a mobile unit and I can buy it diredt from the grower. While maybe not profitable, Oilives only begin to produce the best after 100 years.

All possible souces for the oil will be listed on the bottle. If they're not, that would be fraud. Often I see a long list - often printed in dot matrix on the bottle. Now I suppose it might be possible to cut it with some other oil, but legally that has to be listed on the bottle.

I've decided not to consume "light tasting" or "light" olive oil any more. I also will only buy EVOO in dark tinted glass bottles, not plastic.
All of the health benefits are in EVOO, and the more you choose to pay for EVOO, the more benefits you may receive. Some of it may be overpriced and not worth the cost.

Uh - no. Most claims about "extra-virgin" are about the taste. There are dubious claims about extra-virgin beyond this.

Extra-light has its place, as it's often second or third press and then processed to make it neutral. That makes it a better choice as a neutral cooking oil. It's mostly monounsaturated, but doesn't burn as easily as canola oil. Also doesn't burn as easily as extra-virgin, as many of the compounds that give it its flavor and color burn at a lower temperature.

View attachment 94863

View attachment 94863

If not Avocado oil this is the one we use in my house. Good flavor balance.

Cutting olive oil with any other oil and selling it as 100% olive oil is illegal. But some overseas manufacturers, especially outside Europe, play games with the labeling by placing the other oil in smaller type.

There are also games with extra virgin, which is a premium oil.

If you're cooking, especially frying, with olive oil, you don't normally want to use extra virgin. Its smoke and flash points are too low, and it can leave the food overly oily. Use a different grade of olive oil for frying and sauteing. Even pomace olive oil (the "last pressing") works just fine for cooking.

Queen Creek olive Mill in southern Arizona is really good as well. All local to Arizona. The 45 minute tour is definitely worth going on.

Back