Approved oil for Mazda 6 Skyactiv

Status
Not open for further replies.
We own a 2016 Mazda 6 Sport and I understand that only two brands of oil are recommended by Mazda for this vehicle, the Mazda brand and Castrol 0W-20 MG [with Moly].

However, according to Pennzoils website they list three Pennzoil oil that are claimed by them to meet the requirements.

Is there a chance that any of these Pennzoil formulas may contain the required Moly?

The most expensive of the three is the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 0W-20 which is like $52 US for a 5 quart jug. Does this oil possibly meet Mazda specs? Or should a moly additive be added and if so what specifically?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NevadaSmith
We own a 2016 Mazda 6 Sport and I understand that only two brands of oil are recommended by Mazda for this vehicle, the Mazda brand and Castrol 0W-20 MG [with Moly].

However, according to Pennzoils website they list three Pennzoil oil that are claimed by them to meet the requirements.

Is there a chance that any of these Pennzoil formulas may contain the required Moly?

The most expensive of the three is the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 0W-20 which is like $52 US for a 5 quart jug. Does this oil possibly meet Mazda specs?

What is the spec?

What Mazda "recommends" as far as brand is irrelevant, the specification is important.

Disregard the Moly mention. Mazda does not require any specific additive, and brand recommendation is due to contractual agreements between the vehicle and oil manufacturers. Any oils meeting the Mazda required specs of, for example API SN / ILSAC GF-5 will suffice.

BTW, Pennzoil 0W-20 has Moly... as does Mobil1, Castrol, Valvoline, SuperTech, Quaker State etc.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG. Use any shelf oil that meets the specifications in your manual.

There is no need to use high Moly or something that "Mazda Recommends".
Plenty of Mazda owners here running all sorts of stuff. See the UOA section.

Here is what it says: http://www.mazda.ca/en/digital-owners-manual/2016/mazda6/contents/07030400.html

U.S.A. and CANADA
Use SAE 0W-20 engine oil.
Mazda Genuine Oil is used in your Mazda vehicle. Mazda Genuine 0W-20 Oil is required to achieve optimum fuel economy.

For maintenance service, Mazda recommends Mazda Genuine Parts and Castrol® (U.S.A. only).
Only use SAE 0W-20 oil "Certified For Gasoline Engines" by the American Petroleum Institute (API).
Oil with this trademark symbol conforms to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel economy requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC), comprised of U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers.

Except U.S.A. and CANADA
Use SAE 5W-30 engine oil.
Oil container labels provide important information.
A chief contribution this type of oil makes to fuel economy is reducing the amount of fuel necessary to overcome engine friction.

Last edited:
According to the owner's manual I found online for that vehicle, it says:

If that's the case then the cheapest 0W-20 you can find at Walmart is the way to go.

I don't go along with that. It MUST be a formula that contains moly or at least I saw that on a previous forum and the Mazda oil is designated as containing moly.

In this day of direct injection and the problems it causes and the different ways that manufacturers deal with it, I wanted to be sure.

Last edited:
Would this be the spec?

API SG/SH/SJ/SL/SM/SN or

ILSAC GF-II/GF-III/GF-IV/GF-V

Yes, The SN and GF-V are the latest specs and actually SN Plus is a little newer. All gasoline oils have these specs. SAE 0W-20 can only be had in either a synthetic blend or full synthetic. Just about every 0W-20 will be SN Plus / ILSAC GF-5. That makes it easy.
Again, almost everything has some Moly in it now but that is not something that's necessary. If you "don't go along with it", you can buy the Mazda branded oil at the dealership which will cost you much more than something that will get you the same results for much cheaper.

Originally Posted by wemay
Disregard the Moly mention. Mazda does not require any specific additive, and brand recommendation is due to contractual agreements between the vehicle and oil manufacturers. Any oils meeting the Mazda required specs of, for example API SN / ILSAC GF-5 will suffice.

BTW, Pennzoil 0W-20 has Moly... as does Mobil1, Castrol, Valvoline, SuperTech, Quaker State etc.

Thank you. It seems that ILSAC GF-5 qualifies. That's all I need to know. Thanks again.

Would this be the spec?

API SG/SH/SJ/SL/SM/SN or

ILSAC GF-II/GF-III/GF-IV/GF-V

For the US it says this:
Recommended Oil
U.S.A. and CANADA

Mazda Genuine Oil is used in your Mazda
vehicle. Mazda Genuine 0W-20 Oil is
required to achieve optimum fuel
economy. For maintenance service, Mazda
recommends Mazda Genuine Parts and
Castrol® (U.S.A. only).

Only use SAE 0W-20 oil "Certified For Gasoline Engines" by the
American Petroleum Institute (API). Oil with this trademark symbol conforms
to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel economy
requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval
Committee (ILSAC), comprised of U.S.and Japanese automobile manufacturers.

SAE 0W-20 with any API certification is the only thing that could be construed as "required" in that statement, although seeing it is headed by "Recommended Oil" one could make a convincing argument that isn't even required.

It does say elsewhere that the OLM is calibrated to Mazda and Castrol oil but that doesn't mean it would necessarily be inaccurate with a different brand.

Thanks wemay,
I was only concerned because I had purchased the Pennzoil a number of months ago, and lacked total certainty.

I don't go along with that. It MUST be a formula that contains moly or at least I saw that on a previous forum and the Mazda oil is designated as containing moly.

In this day of direct injection and the problems it causes and the different ways that manufacturers deal with it, I wanted to be sure.

Well it also says this:
NOTE
Changing the engine oil should be performed
by an Authorized Mazda Dealer

Are you planning on changing it yourself?

Just curious as to what Mazda would put in if you requested an oil change at the dealer. Do we think they would put in the Mazda brand 0w20 or what ever the least expensive 0w20 the oil distributor was able to sell the shop last month?

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Just curious as to what Mazda would put in if you requested an oil change at the dealer. Do we think they would put in the Mazda brand 0w20 or what ever the least expensive 0w20 the oil distributor was able to sell the shop last month?

yes

Last I checked, the vast majority were using Castrol GTX SynBlend 0w20. However, that seems to have disappeared from their website. Perhaps they've switched to their bulk to Magnatec?

That will vary widely. Like most dealerships, you will get a generic jobber oil for the standard service. If you choose their synthetic service you will get whatever brand they have on contract. Castrol pays Mazda to be represented in their manuals and such but I've heard of dealers using Pennzoil, Castrol, or even Valvoline. The actual Mazda Moly oil is a hit and miss.

Pennzoil Platinum has some moly, just not a high amount like some other oils have.
Oils that have very high moly content: Mazda Genuine Oil 0w20, Toyota Genuine Oil 0w20, Idemitsu Zepro 0w20, Eneos Racing Street 0w20, all Japanese companies (I use Eneos from Amazon.com, where Zepro is available too.) See http://elit-oil.io.ua/files/0001/21/00012167.pdf if you're into finding out why these oil makers are interested in boosted, high levels of moly.
Most oil formulators go with about 80 ppm moly (Pennzoil, Mobil1, etc. typical), yet the Japanese oils listed above go with around 10 times that much. Amsoil 0w20 & Schaeffer 0w20 uses moderately high levels of moly. ... Racing oils usually have a ton of moly. M1 Racing 0w30 has 1300 ppm moly for example.

It could go either way. Technically, any SN GF-5 0w20 oil, any brand, will be fine in a Mazda. GM's dexos1 spec is a higher performance standard on top of SN GF-5. Not required but dexos1 is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back