Apple introduces world's thinnest laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw that $1749 starting price, IIRC.

Unfortunately, all ultra light models are compromises in one way or another, and the more full-featured ultra lights (I have a new Sony VAIO SZ, for example), arent really all that light...

I kind of have come to decide that my old 14.1" IBM laptop is the best way to go for battery life, reliability, ruggedness, etc... though it is a bit heavier...

And I travel A LOT.

JMH

As a student, I respect the idea of an ultraportable, easy to carry Mac. Although it does not have enough ports for me (especially a lack of Firewire for my ext. HD).

I will stick to my old iBook G3 for now. I will probably opt for the much more powerful iMac for less $$ personally.

Give this Air a couple of product cycles and it will become great.

It is nice as far as it goes but there is too much stuff missing. For example you have to buy an external CD/DVD drive for more money. Again, a nice tiny computer but too much stuff missing. Sort of like the MacMini which comes without a keyboard, mouse, or monitor. For about $600.00 you should at least get a keyboard and a mouse.

Best deal Apple has in my opinion is the iMac. Although I have heard complaints about the keyboard and the display. Maybe the best deal of all is the MacBook Pro which is also really in demand. Apple is selling all kinds of small portable computers. If you could find a good used one maybe it would not be too expensive. And a MacBook Pro should sell easily used if you decide you don't like it.

curious - didnt see it... will this have a docking station of sorts that allows all of the other hookups?

If so, for an ultraportable, only one memory stick port and the software I require is what Id want.

JMH

If the price is $1749.00 they can keep it. It may be super small and cute but for that price you could probably have about enough money for a MacBook Pro. There is huge demand for the MacBook Pro.

I think a built in CD/DVD drive is a waste @ this point; I have used the one on my work laptop (which i carry back and forth) twice in 3 years. I back up data on network drives and even if I were using a laptop @ home, I would use a thumb drive or NAS. CDs are clumsy, slow, prone to damage.

As for music there are mp3's.
and for loading software, does anyone do this "on the road?"

Apple jettisoned the 3.5" floppy YEARS before anyone else did and it didn't seem to bother many people.

Last edited:
Well, if you are downloading a lot of photos to your laptop while on the road it is sort of nice to be able to burn the photos to a CD-R or a DVD-R. I suppose if you have a big enough hard drive it would not matter. Photos in RAW or TIFF format take up a lot of space.

Does this tiny computer have a large enough hard drive? If the hard drive is just a few GBs it would fill up pretty quick.

I just setup a Dell D430 lightweight for a client with the SSD drive and XP. Very nice system for the $$$. 3 USB, firewire, SD Card slot, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back