API finds nearly half of certified oils have issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose this is another benefit of UOA - if your oil is non-compliant you might catch obvious issues like the viscosity being out of grade, insufficient TBN or unexpected additives.
Incidentally, when I started using Camguard for my airplane I saw a difference in UOA with slightly higher Ca and P.

Interesting story; very disheartening, also. Thanks for the info Tom!

It would have more merit if they actually showed which samples were deficient. It's one thing to tell us there's a problem, but it's more important to show us which ones!
- Are there trends?
- Is it only a few lube blenders, or a general market problem?
- Is it prevalent more in the low-end products, or all across the board?
- Is this a consistent problem, or did it rear its ugly head more so during the pandemic when supply chain issues were very common?
- They indicate the API is working with the blenders to correct these issues; which ones are cooperative? Are there any that balk?
- etc ...

Hey, Mr. ALIA ... Don't just tell me there's a problem. Help me understand the depth and breadth of the issue!

Last edited:
Ya but the brands we deal with are premier blenders and but a small niche of brands available worldwide.
Do you remember the BITOG darling of the past. They come and go as you know. Cheapness often rules the day at BITOG

Looks like much of it points toward Asia and counterfeiting according to the article referenced.
Looks like 92% tested were legit.

“He also highlighted instances of licensing trademark misuse and counterfeiting, particularly in the Asia-Pacific region. While a significant majority (92%) of sample oils were fully licensed with API, 4% were licensed companies with an unregistered brand, and 3% utilised API trademarks without proper licensing.”

I am somewhat tempted to just revert back to the costlier boutique route. I think you get what you pay for in what may be instances of overkill for most applications. It makes you wonder just how good the quality control is with the large suppliers. I think you stand a better chance of receiving what is advertised with an Amsoil or Red Line. I hate to think that all my diligent maintenance routines are undermined by some bean counter or test shaving at a multinational conglomerate.

What were we getting during the height of cv19? Shortages were in every industry.
The machining materials I was getting then were all seconds they stored away and now put back on the market. I just started getting premium materials again 6 months ago. Most of that stuff was pure junk
I never thought of that. Thankfully I found BJs had RGT on clearance in April 2020, and I bought everything they had on the floor. I have one oil change left from that score... I am assuming that batch of RGT entered the market before the world shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back