Anyone use or have experience with pento high performance 5w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve never heard of this oil brand but I’m looking for some better options compared to Liqui-Molly oil. I get my oil off FCPEURO so at the end of the day, it’s either Pento, Liquimolly or genuine BMW oil (they only have 0w-30 weight).

It is old German company that makes probably most famous steering fluid CHf 11.
They are now owned by Fuchs, largest manufacturer of industrial lubricants in Germany.
It is good oil. Is it any better than Liqui Moly? Not sure.
Their 5W30 Super Performance III is seriously good stuff.
And you are overthinking this as I have told you before.
If you want free stuff, you are stuck with these oils. But, as someone told you before, there is no such thing as free lunch.

It is old German company that makes probably most famous steering fluid CHf 11.
They are now owned by Fuchs, largest manufacturer of industrial lubricants in Germany.
It is good oil. Is it any better than Liqui Moly? Not sure.
Their 5W30 Super Performance III is seriously good stuff.
And you are overthinking this as I have told you before.
If you want free stuff, you are stuck with these oils. But, as someone told you before, there is no such thing as free lunch.
I just read another post there it seems like liqui molly changed something in there oil? I’m not even 100% sure 😂z

So, is a lower Noack percentage better?
Of course. But it shows also potentially what base stocks are used etc.
5W40 oils should theoretically have lower Noack than 0W40 oils, all things being equal. M1 0W40 and Castrol 0W40 both have Noack lower than that LM. That means their chemical composition is much better. Noack is evaporation loss.

Check PROJECT FARM! I enjoyed watching all of his videos. I think the general person could learn from watching his videos.
He does a good job of Testing 5W 30 motor oil’s. I hope it corresponds to 5W-40 oil’s also.

Check PROJECT FARM! I enjoyed watching all of his videos. I think the general person could learn from watching his videos.
He does a good job of Testing 5W 30 motor oil’s. I hope it corresponds to 5W-40 oil’s also.

A worthless video to accompany this thread. Grade, brand and useless tests aren’t what’s important here, not at all. But it’s what some people focus on apparently.

You can’t learn squat from that video.

Those "tests" are for entertainment only, they provide no technical value.

A worthless video to accompany this thread. Grade, brand and useless tests aren’t what’s important here, not at all. But it’s what some people focus on apparently.

You can’t learn squat from that video.
Please explain why the test are not important and useless. What tests are important and useful and more accurate? Thank you.

Those "tests" are for entertainment only, they provide no technical value.
Please explain and show what test provide more accurate and better technical value for comparison. What should we do as non-motor engine oil chemist and experts read and view to be correctly informed with comparison? Thank you.

Please explain and show what test provide more accurate and better technical value for comparison. What should we do as non-motor engine oil chemist and experts read and view to be correctly informed with comparison? Thank you.

The ones already run on engine oils to pass the various sequences they are approved against. That's why "ship your oil to project farm and have it run through irrelevant contraptions" isn't a sequence for the API, ACEA or OEM's.

Cold temperature performance moved away from Pour Point to CCS and MRV (specific tests developed to gauge performance in terms of Cold Cranking impact and pumpability) because Pour Point was proven to be wildly inaccurate. An oil that was rated for -38 point point for example might not actually pump at anywhere near that temperature, but you'd never know that unless it was tested for, hence MRV.

There is nothing you can do at home that's going to provide additional value beyond what is already tested for. Furthermore, Joe Average lacks the statistical and controls knowledge to produce meaningful results even if there was.

This is an example of a valuable test sequence:
Porsche A40 testing procedure: This test will last 203 hours.
The engine, and the oil, will go through:
- 4 times the simulation of 35 hours of summer driving,
- 4 times the simulation of 13.5 hours of winter driving,
- 40 cold starts,
- 5 times the simulation of 1-hour sessions on the “Nürburgring” racetrack,
- 3.5 hours of “running-in” program

Measurements on the engine and on the oil will be done at regular intervals, and the following parameter will be taken into account to grant the approval or not:
- torque curve (internal friction),
- oxidation of the oil,
- Piston cleanliness and ring sticking,
- Valve train wear protection. Cam & tappet wear must be less than 10 μm.
- Engine cleanliness and sludge: after 203 hours, no deposits must be visible.
- Bearing wear protection: visual rating according to Porsche in-house method.

Please explain why the test are not important and useless. What tests are important and useful and more accurate? Thank you.
OVERKILL has answered that pretty well, in addition there are more than a couple epic threads where it has been explained in exact detail.

Every aspect of that useless test is a fail, from using an inappropriate ASTM test as the basis, to having non-conforming test equipment, to laughable data acquisition, and to non-existent data reduction and analysis. There isn’t one thing of value.

The one thing you can go by however are the approvals, specifications and licenses the oil holds. Those are real-world tests that conclusively determine the quality of an oil. One does not need to run a poorly executed, inappropriate test to characterize motor oil or to discover some previously uncharacterized aspect of that oil.

Last edited:
I posted a video comparing motor oil in a, seems fair test. What each oil was tested on and how was done acr the board. The results also were easy to understand and easy to understand how a ranking.
Please provide us with videos and or written information, that does a more fair and accurate comparison of multiple synthetic oils, that does not take combined degrees in law, mechanical engineering, chemistry and physics... to understand and come away with a ranking.
thank you.

Last edited:
I posted a video comparing motor oil in a, seems fair test. What each oil was tested on and how was done acr the board. The results also were easy to understand and easy to understand how a ranking.
Please provide us with videos and or written information, that does a more fair and accurate comparison of multiple synthetic oils, that does not take a degree in law, combustion engine, chemistry and physic.
thank you.
If you search the site for the threads I mentioned and read the responses in this thread you’ll have the information you need. I think you can figure it out.

Yes it is a little complicated, so goes the nature of proper material characterization and statistically meaningful tests. But that’s where PF fails, he has no clue what he’s doing or what he’s supposed to be doing.

Have you searched and read those other threads? Lots of detailed detail there and no degrees needed to understand. Also try to comprehend the responses given in this thread.

Watching his videos or video would help immensely. He shows an tells you what and how he does it
Just so you know, edyvw and everyone else on here have seen his videos tens if not hundreds of times. What you're posting is nether new nor is it anything revelatory, if you did some searching like I suggested you'd see what I mean. PF isn't the only one pushing this useless test for motor oil either, just one of several.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back