Anyone runDunlop Roadsmart 3

Having a difficult time getting the tires I want, the Dunlops mentioned are available. My riding could be classified as sport touring. If any of you could give me some feedback I’d appreciate the comments.
Application in signature
Thanks
Smoky

I have an older set of RoadSmart II's on my ZX14R and love them. They're a very good sport touring tire and seem to last about 6000 miles in my application. I do intend to try the RoadSmart IV's for my next set. Dunlop just seems to make an incredible tire.

I don't have experience with the RoadSmart 3 but I'm sure it will live up to the Dunlop reputation. The price is right too.

I have run RS2, RS3 and RS4 on my ZRX1300. Fantastic tires, no need to look anywhere else. It's picking nits when comparing more modern sport touring rubber.

Just installed an RS4 on the front 3,000 miles ago. Showing little wear visually or with a tread depth gauge. It's matched up with a rear RS2 I picked up because that was the only rear I found in stock in 2021 when I needed a tire. When the rear RS2 wears out sometime next spring/early summer the rear RS4 in the garage is going on the rear.

I have a set of RS3 in my garage at the moment, I can't pass up a good deal on tires. However creates a conundrum that they will be in a black sealed plastic trash bag for another year or so before I use them.

I only recommend to my customers the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP (Sport
Production) V2... whereas Dunlops usually weight more and are wider than spec...

Warning... Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa are so good they make Dunlops feel like mere rim protectors...

PirelliSupercorsaSP1.JPG

I ran a set of Michelin PR4 GT on my ST1300. Great handling, but wore out too quickly on the heavy sport tourer (about 6500 miles on the rear).

I then put on a set of Bridgestone T31s front and rear. Awesome tires! Good wear so far. I installed my second rear before a long trip this summer. I had 9500 miles on the rear and I didn't think it could make the 2500 mile trip, so I replaced it. Still running the same front.

I have the T31s on both of my motorcycles. I have a replacement set of T32s waiting for my smaller bike to try (on sale, in stock). I will purchase the T31 again when I need tires for the big ST1300 sport tourer.

Anyone run Dunlop Roadsmart 3?

Sorry no.

But I was agonizing for weeks what tyres to get and after long consideration bought Dunlop Roadsmart IV GTs for my RT. Got them on yesterday so not much experience of them yet. But first impressions are that they do feel really nice.

I ran the original roadsmart, did not like their lazy steering & handling. Not a problem if your riding is upright.

Metzler roadtech gets very high rating as does pirelli angel

I ran the original roadsmart, did not like their lazy steering & handling. Not a problem if your riding is upright.

Metzler roadtech gets very high rating as does pirelli angel
I agree, my Ninja 650 came with the 2's but I recently upgraded them to the latest ones and the steering does take a bit of effort to get it to initiate the lean. It's almost like riding a water buffalo, I visited a Triumph demo event and I didn't look to see what tires they came with but the difference was definitely there, didn't take hardly any effort at all to get them to lean over to start the turn. I would've went with the Michelins but the cost kept increasing for those and the Dunlop's hadn't budged.

Other than that they seem to be a really good tire and do hold up well.

BLS, pay attention to what the damm threat is about. The RS line of tires is a sport touring tire. Pure sport tires have nothing to do with the thread.

Have you ridden on the Road Smart 3? What's your experience to say it is a mere rim protector? Come on, fess up or shut up.

It is you talking again, so you can throw two cents in. Hoping maybe someday, somehow, some soul who happens upon this thread not knowing your history on this forum can see how "wise" you want them to think you are.

That is you recommendation for sport touring tires?
YES...
I tell my customers this... if you want the lightest and best feeling
hoops money can buy there is no equal to the number 1 ranked Pirelli
Supercorsa SP... it delivers an astounding level of grip and road feel
which breeds rider confidence... couple with 1.50 lbs lighter in
weight they feels more athletic than Dunlop... Here are the perfect
tires for that extra sexual corner activity...
2015MotoUSA(11).jpg

Last edited:
Have you ridden on the Road Smart 3?

I can't afford too Dunlops are too heavy and too wide... maybe if they progress to 6 they
will become smart enough to equal Pirelli...

Dunlop Road Smart 3
Dunlop Road Smarts 4
Dunlop Road Smarter 5
Dunlop Road Smartest 6

Last edited:
BLS
From pirelli Supercorsa (race) is a track/ road tyre not sport touring.
Rosso is the road orientated range, II, IV and IV corsa.
I do not see why the laptime table includes michelin PP3:unsure:. I currently run these and they are not in the same class. I rate them as sport touring and not sport

YES...
I tell my customers this... if you want the lightest and best feeling
hoops money can buy there is no equal to the number 1 ranked Pirelli
Supercorsa SP... it delivers an astounding level of grip and road feel
which breeds rider confidence... couple with 1.50 lbs lighter in
weight they feels more athletic than Dunlop... Here are the perfect
tires for that extra sexual corner activity...
View attachment 117930
99% of touring riders are not looking for this.

I had lived out west in Colorado for 30 years. I can guarantee you 99% of the riders here and definitely throughout the majority of the country don't run those tires on their sport touring rigs. There is hail and snow and crappy road conditions in the middle of July going over mountain passes where tires with minimal tread are a stupid choice.

But it is a nice picture of folks out for a Sunday ride, don't see enough luggage to hold a pillow to take a nap with on the side of the road much less cover a thousand miles on a trip.

The RS3 is a very good tire. Sharper steering than a PR4GT. Maybe too sharp and neutral. But you really should run BusyLittleShop's Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP to keep him busy mounting new tires every 2000 miles.

6500 miles on a rear PR4GT? One shifts hard? Downshifts hard between gears? Upshifts hard too? Slams throttle shut a lot?

I get 9,000 to 10,000 miles on rear PR4GT with a heavier FJR1300. I don't find a difference in tire life between Michelin PR4 and PR4GT, but I find a significant longer life of Bridgestone T30 Evo GT vs T30 Evo. My favorite front tire was a T31GT which ran 9500 miles and handled same as new to the very end. No longer available so I have a T32GT mounted now, PR4GT rear. For some reason I like the mushy PR4GT on rear and stiffer T32GT on the front. I really do not like PR4GT on front. And for some reason I don't like T30 or T31 on rear.

Having said all that, a set of new RS4s is waiting for when my current tires show cords.

Back