Anyone know anything about Subaru FF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ZDDP and moly levels in the "5W30" Subaru factory fills have been up and down over the years. A few years back, all Subaru FF UOA's had consistently high ZDDP and moly. About 2 1/2 years ago the ZDDP levels in all 5W30's, except for the STI, dropped down to GF5 levels and moly was down a bit as well.

If these uoa's are accurate I suspect that the factory was having Idemitsu tinker with the formula. That's the only thing I can think of and was unsuccessful on getting any further details from ILAC. You can see the ZDDP and moly changes in the 2015+ uoa thread on NASIOC. There are less 0W20 FF posted these days, but FT86 club had quite a few back when those cars were new.

Holy moly Batman!
This looks like it could have some from a Honda K24.
Copper seems high, but that seems to be common with early life UOAs from these engines with the same being true of the high silicon level.
Iron looks pretty darn good for FF.
I am now given more food for thought.
Maybe I'll go ahead and drain the FF at 3K and then use something with lots of moly, not the weak levels found in most current API/ILSAC PCMOs.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Where do we get these ideas? Engine that consume oil is from manufacture or design.

Exactly. And the OP purchased a vehicle by a manufacturer that has some per-centage of an increased chance of oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: CT8
Where do we get these ideas? Engine that consume oil is from manufacture or design.

Exactly. And the OP purchased a vehicle by a manufacturer that has some per-centage of an increased chance of oil consumption.

Sure guys.
Break-in, oil used, maintenance over the miles and vehicle operation in use have nothing at all to do with future oil consumption or engine life.
Some engines are doomed from build, like those rod throwing Kia/Hyundai motors or those piston slapping GM and FCA V-8s.
Others are golden with any maintenance at all, like all of the timing belt Honda four cylinders.
Most fall somewhere between these two extremes and a little careful thinking applied to early life engine maintenance can make the difference between an engine that lives for many miles with no bad noises or high oil consumption and one that doesn't.
Of course I'm a little concerned about how best to treat this engine from new.
Any halfway sensible owner would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back