Anyone here vape?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wag123
Originally Posted By: Astro14
"Follow the money"
IMO irv is correct, the tobacco companies and government are very likely conspiring to undermine the credibility of vaping because they are loosing money and tax revenues. Shannow hit the nail on the head when he stated that the vape industry doesn't have the money to fight back.

If you’re going to follow the money, at least do a credible job...

The “Vape Industry” has received huge investments from Big Tobacco. The “Vape Industry” isn’t the plucky little hero standing up to the “Big Guys”...it IS the big guys...Reynolds alone has invested tens of millions in Vape research and production. That investment is old news, it happened years ago.

You’re just as addicted, just as dependent, on this new product as you were on the old.

Works out well for those companies.

Not so much for you...

My little family-owned vape store down on the corner mixes their own vape liquids right in front of me and doesn't get any money from Big Tobacco. This is the norm in the vape business, they are mostly small mom-and-pop operations. Perhaps Big Tobacco is involved in the manufacturing of nicotine concentrate liquid, I don't know. Regardless, it doesn't appear that there are very high profit margins in the business. My costs went down by a factor of 8x compared to when I was smoking cigarettes (another big advantage to vaping).
I don't think that the Chinese vape hardware manufacturers are working for Big Tobacco either.
It DOES work out well for me, I am no-longer smoking!

You’re still addicted to nicotine.

Your money is still going to companies like Altria and Reynolds. They’re still making record profits.

If you think that is “working out well” for you, I certainly can’t dissuade you. But I certainly cannot agree.

No kind of smoke (products of combustion) is good to breath, no matter what the source.

Example, there are 100s of wildfires burning throughout the west and in Canada right now, and the air quality is hazardous in many places. The particulate in the smoke is around 2 microns, which takes a HEPA filter to trap, so basically everyone is breathing this smokey air where exposed. Experts say people exposed to that level of fire smoke can develope cancers etc from excessive exposure. Kind of funny seeing a smoker conderned about breathing wildfire smoke, but then light up a cigarette and surpercharge a man-made "wildfire" into their lungs.

No smoke from combustion is going to be healthy to breath. Breathing cigarettes, vaping smoke, tailpipe emissions, wildfire smoke, etc, etc will have effects that could cause health issues. Humans need air filters just as much as engines do.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
No kind of smoke (products of combustion) are good to breath, no matter what the source.

Example, there are 100s of wildfires burning throughout the west and in Canada right now, and the air quality is hazardous in many places. The particulate in the smoke is around 2 microns, which takes a HEPA filter to trap, so basically everyone is breathing this smokey air where exposed. Experts say people exposed to that level of fire smoke can develope cancers etc from excessive exposure.

No smoke from combustion is going to be healthy to breath. Breathing cigarettes, vaping smoke, tailpipe emissions, wildfire smoke, etc, etc will have effects that could cause health issues. Humans need air filters just as much as engines do.
grin2.gif

Vaping is NOT smoke! Nothing is burning, there isn't any combustion. That is the whole point of it. There are so many misconceptions about what vaping actually is.

Vaping is an alternative pathway to get chemicals into your blood.

Those chemicals, and the carrier chemicals present in the vapor, are damaging to your lungs.

But it’s not smoking.

Big Tobacco provides the nicotine for vaping.

But it’s not smoking.

Big tobacco makes a lot of money off the users

But it’s not smoking.

Users are addicted to nicotine, just as they are when other vehicles (smoke) are used to convey the chemicals.

But it’s not smoking.

Any misconceptions in there?

Last edited:

Your money is still going to companies like Altria and Reynolds. They’re still making record profits.

If you think that is “working out well” for you, I certainly can’t dissuade you. But I certainly cannot agree.

Yes, I am a nicotine addict and have been for over 40 years. Nicotine is one of THE most addictive substances on the planet. Unless a person has been addicted to it, they have NO idea what getting off of it entails. Nicotine in-and-of-itself is NOT the part of smoking that is harmfull, it is the poisonous tobacco combustion byproducts. Vape liquid doesn't contain any tobacco and there isn't any combustion.

Those chemicals, and the carrier chemicals present in the vapor, are damaging to your lungs.

But it’s not smoking.

But it’s not smoking.

But it’s not smoking.

Users are addicted to nicotine, just as they are when other vehicles (smoke) are used to convey the chemicals.

But it’s not smoking.

The nicotine in eliquid is the same as that used in pharmaceutical NRT. Much of it is extracted from a member of the tobacco family, but not from the same plant as used for smoking tobacco. I assume that Big Tobacco is probably involved in this.
Nicotine can also be synthesized in a laboratory. One source of lab synthesized nicotine is the ‘non tobacco nicotine’ (NTN) from the HiLIQ company (not connected to Big Tobacco), and is now available to consumers. Besides offering the advantage of not being in any way part of the "dreaded" tobacco, NTN also is more pure than nicotine extracted from tobacco. My corner vape store uses NTN in it's vape eliquid mixtures.

Last edited:

But it’s not smoking.

But it’s not smoking.

But it’s not smoking.

But it’s not smoking.

The nicotine in eliquid is the same as that used in pharmaceutical NRT. Much of it is extracted from a member of the tobacco family, but not from the same plant as used for smoking tobacco. I assume that Big Tobacco is probably involved in this.
Nicotine can also be synthesized in a laboratory. One source of lab synthesized nicotine is the ‘non tobacco nicotine’ (NTN) from the HiLIQ company (not connected to Big Tobacco), and is now available to consumers. Besides offering the advantage of not being in any way part of the "dreaded" tobacco, NTN also is more pure than nicotine extracted from tobacco. My corner vape store uses NTN in it's vape mixtures.

HiLIQ appears to be a distributor/blender based on their website? NextGenerationLabs claims to be the developer of the purest non-tobacco nicotine:

Originally Posted By: NGL
TFN® Nicotine is the purest, cleanest nicotine available not derived from tobacco leaf, stem, or waste dust. All current E-cig/Vaping brands and e-liquids use tobacco derived nicotine. TFN® Nicotine is devoid of many of the impurities that tobacco derived nicotine contains. Most important, TFN® Nicotine is virtually tasteless and odorless, dramatically improves e-juice flavors, while providing the same biological impact as tobacco derived nicotine. With TFN® Nicotine, there is no need to mask the foul flavor and aroma of the nicotine. TFN® Nicotine will allow you to craft a truly tobacco free vaping product!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

HiLIQ appears to be a distributor/blender based on their website? NextGenerationLabs claims to be the developer of the purest non-tobacco nicotine:

TFN® Nicotine is the purest, cleanest nicotine available not derived from tobacco leaf, stem, or waste dust. All current E-cig/Vaping brands and e-liquids use tobacco derived nicotine. TFN® Nicotine is devoid of many of the impurities that tobacco derived nicotine contains. Most important, TFN® Nicotine is virtually tasteless and odorless, dramatically improves e-juice flavors, while providing the same biological impact as tobacco derived nicotine. With TFN® Nicotine, there is no need to mask the foul flavor and aroma of the nicotine. TFN® Nicotine will allow you to craft a truly tobacco free vaping product!

NextGenerationLabs claims that HiLIQ's nicotine is not synthetic. Regardless, neither company or Spectrum Chemical (who also claims to manufacture synthetic nicotine) are owned by or connected to Big Tobacco. The FDA has also stated that synthetic nicotine would not be regulated by the FDA as a tobacco product.

NextGenerationLabs claims that HiLIQ's nicotine is not synthetic. Regardless, neither company or Spectrum Chemical (who also claims to manufacture synthetic nicotine) are owned by or connected to Big Tobacco. The FDA has also stated that synthetic nicotine would not be regulated by the FDA as a tobacco product.

Yeah, NGL claims that the Chinese product from HiLIQ is not synthetic and is in fact Tobacco-derived:

http://www.nextgenerationlabs.com/ntn-from-hiliq-proved-not-to-be-synthetic-nicotine/

A suite of validated scientific tests involving High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), Carbon Dating and nicotine isomer optical rotation, indicate that NTN nicotine – manufactured and sold by Chinese company HiLIQ – in NOT synthetic nicotine, but is a distilled form of tobacco-derived nicotine.

Next Generation Labs’ test results are supported and further verified by a separate third party test conducted by Enthalpy, which also revealed HiLiQ NTN nicotine is tobacco-derived.

Which is pretty [censored].

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
No kind of smoke (products of combustion) are good to breath, no matter what the source.

Example, there are 100s of wildfires burning throughout the west and in Canada right now, and the air quality is hazardous in many places. The particulate in the smoke is around 2 microns, which takes a HEPA filter to trap, so basically everyone is breathing this smokey air where exposed. Experts say people exposed to that level of fire smoke can develope cancers etc from excessive exposure.

grin2.gif

Vaping is NOT smoke! Nothing is burning, there isn't any combustion. That is the whole point of it. There are so many misconceptions about what vaping actually is.

Liquid heated to the point of vaporization ... yeah, not combustion technically. Guess it's safe as [censored].
smile.gif

Yes, I am a nicotine addict and have been for over 40 years. Nicotine is one of THE most addictive substances on the planet. Unless a person has been addicted to it, they have NO idea what getting off of it entails. Nicotine in-and-of-itself is NOT the part of smoking that is harmfull, it is the poisonous tobacco combustion byproducts. Vape liquid doesn't contain any tobacco and there isn't any combustion.

You still suffer from nicotine addiction, however, and its multitude of deleterious effects, including hypertension.

Further, the long-term damage to lung tissue has yet to be determined, so, while you’re not getting smoke, you’re trusting the folks who brought you formaldehyde in drywall to provide you with a “safe” set of carrier chemicals.

Some lung damage has been observed in other studies, after short-term use.

Safer than cigarettes? Perhaps.

Safe?

Not even close...

Look, I enjoy a good cigar now and then. I get the nicotine rush.

But many proponents of vaping fail to see that it is still an addiction, and can still harm them. “Popcorn Lung” is already identified as the result of vaping...and long term vaping will no doubt see other maladies directly caused by the inhalation of unknown, untested, chemicals in the eliquid.

By the way, Big Tobacco already knows all of this and is spending huge amounts of money (hundreds of millions if my intel is correct) on medical research to make vaping safer.

Why spend all that money?

Well, again, follow the money.

Addicts who live longer will buy more nicotine products over those longer lives.

Last edited:

You still suffer from nicotine addiction, however, and its multitude of deleterious effects, including hypertension.

Further, the long-term damage to lung tissue has yet to be determined, so, while you’re not getting smoke, you’re trusting the folks who brought you formaldehyde in drywall to provide you with a “safe” set of carrier chemicals.

Safe?

Not even close...

But many proponents of vaping fail to see that it is still an addiction, and can still harm them. “Popcorn Lung” is already identified as the result of vaping...and long term vaping will no doubt see other maladies directly caused by the inhalation of unknown, untested, chemicals in the eliquid.

By the way, Big Tobacco already knows all of this and is spending huge amounts of money (hundreds of millions if my intel is correct) on medical research to make vaping safer.

Addicts who live longer will buy more nicotine products over those longer lives.

You can get popcorn lung from smoking cigarettes and the ingredient associated with it is a lot prevalent in cigarettes than it is in vape juice.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/vaping-causes-popcorn-lung/

Originally Posted By: irv

Safe?

Not even close...

You can get popcorn lung from smoking cigarettes and the ingredient associated with it is a lot prevalent in cigarettes than it is in vape juice.

Vape away, Irv.

I don’t care. I’m not paying your health care.

If you want to convince me that it’s safe, you’ll need a lot more than Snopes.

The medical research isn’t all in, vaping hasn’t been around long enough, but I will tell you that Big Tobacco knows that Vaping kills, and wants to make it safer so that they can continue to push their product.

I’m certain that Big Tobacco would like to keep e-cigs from exploding in their user’s faces as well. I know that the FAA has banned them from cargo holds so that they don’t blow up airplanes, either...

Last edited:
I always get a kick out of the vaping guys right outside storefronts. You vape, we get it.

Take your steaming electric goose call somewhere else. Nobody wants to smell that crap.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I always get a kick out of the vaping guys right outside storefronts. You vape, we get it.

Take your steaming electric goose call somewhere else. Nobody wants to smell that crap.

Drives me nuts when I'm stuck driving behind one in-town with low traffic speeds and they exhale a massive cloud of *insert odour here* that I then have to smell. It's almost as bad as somebody beside you smoking a dart and the smoke and smell wafting into your vehicle. I can't wait until the pot law comes into effect and the same folk will be taking hauls off of huge fatties and myself and my kids will be exposed to that
smirk.gif

wag123 said:

Safe?

Not even close...

Vape away, Irv.

I don’t care. I’m not paying your health care.

If you want to convince me that it’s safe, you’ll need a lot more than Snopes.

The medical research isn’t all in, vaping hasn’t been around long enough, but I will tell you that Big Tobacco knows that Vaping kills, and wants to make it safer so that they can continue to push their product.

I’m certain that Big Tobacco would like to keep e-cigs from exploding in their user’s faces as well. I know that the FAA has banned them from cargo holds so that they don’t blow up airplanes, either...

Drives me nuts when I'm stuck driving behind one in-town with low traffic speeds and they exhale a massive cloud of *insert odour here* that I then have to smell. It's almost as bad as somebody beside you smoking a dart and the smoke and smell wafting into your vehicle. I can't wait until the pot law comes into effect and the same folk will be taking hauls off of huge fatties and myself and my kids will be exposed to that
smirk.gif

You guys seem to be on an anti-vape crusade, and you sound like a bunch of old women as well. No offense.
11.gif

Truth of the matter is, like I said, it isn't the best thing out there but it beats the alternative of smoking cigarettes, and, imo, is a great aid/cessation product for people trying to quit smoking like most are who use them.

With that in mind, you guys should be happy that people are actually trying to quit smoking, which, as you know, or ought to know, kills thousands of people annually and is a huge drain on our health care among other things.

Also, not once since I have started vaping has anyone ever said they disliked the smell. Most go, Mmm, what flavor is that, does it ever smell good, etc.
The smell of cigarette smoke and the stench it leaves on your clothes and breath far outweighs the smell of vape juice and many smokers and non smokers will also tell you the same.

Hop in a vehicle of a smoker then into one of a vaper. Night and day.

Since I have quit, (despite the current relapse) I no longer have a cough and I have more energy. The bonus on top of my health is the money I am saving. I never kept track but it would be into the hundreds easily.

Last edited:
As addictive as nicotine is, the mind can be stronger than nicotine and the physical body dependance. That is the key to stop smoking, or doing anything addictive that's bad for you. When someone is [censored] bent to really quit, then the mind will prevail.

You guys seem to be on an anti-vape crusade, and you sound like a bunch of old women as well. No offense.
11.gif

Honestly, it isn't the vaping that bugs me. I think it is significantly better than smoking, so if somebody has that addiction and decides to make the leap to vaping instead, with the acknowledged caveat that it isn't as good as just full-on quitting, then I'll give them the proverbial clap on the back for the effort. Addiction is a hard thing to beat for some people.

I have a very good friend who is ADHD and has an addictive personality. He used to smoke like a chimney and quit by switching to vaping. He lives in Quebec so I don't see him often but I remember vividly the first time back and him visiting me and we were down in my basement searching for some car parts IIRC and he just starts vaping in my house. Didn't ask, nothing, just fired that puppy up and I was like WT*? I was quite put off and when I said something his response was "it's just vapour dude, not like smoking" as if it wasn't anything even worth talking about. Since then, I've noticed this attitude is quite prevalent in the vaping community: People that, due to the public disdain for smoking, wouldn't dare light up a dart, will, feeling like the same sort of courtesy need not apply, fire up their vape with impunity and completely blow you off if you say something. I can only imagine the feigned indignation we are going to experience with the pot law passing.

Personally, I could care less if somebody wants to smoke crack in their living room. As long as their activities don't intrude on my life, they can do whatever the heck they want. When they start breaking into vehicles to fund the habit, that's over the line. When they leave their heroin needles in the public parks for kids to step on? That's over the line. When some douche-nozzle is sucking a big 'ol dart at an intersection and blowing his lung contents into my vehicle, even by accident, that's over the line and that same line of reasoning applies to somebody hauling on a vape. I don't care if it smells like strawberry Sherbert, I don't want to be inhaling that garbage and I shouldn't have to. We had to leave a concert last summer due to the oblivious potheads a few rows up whose selfish actions made the situation intolerable for others. Just like I'm not discharging my 12-gauge 2ft from their eardrums because it may not be an enjoyable experience, them sucking back joint after joint when there are children present is discourteous and frankly, downright inappropriate at a venue geared at being "family friendly". I don't force people to participate in my habits or pastimes and I simply expect the same in return.

11.gif

Honestly, it isn't the vaping that bugs me. I think it is significantly better than smoking, so if somebody has that addiction and decides to make the leap to vaping instead, with the acknowledged caveat that it isn't as good as just full-on quitting, then I'll give them the proverbial clap on the back for the effort. Addiction is a hard thing to beat for some people.

I have a very good friend who is ADHD and has an addictive personality. He used to smoke like a chimney and quit by switching to vaping. He lives in Quebec so I don't see him often but I remember vividly the first time back and him visiting me and we were down in my basement searching for some car parts IIRC and he just starts vaping in my house. Didn't ask, nothing, just fired that puppy up and I was like WT*? I was quite put off and when I said something his response was "it's just vapour dude, not like smoking" as if it wasn't anything even worth talking about. Since then, I've noticed this attitude is quite prevalent in the vaping community: People that, due to the public disdain for smoking, wouldn't dare light up a dart, will, feeling like the same sort of courtesy need not apply, fire up their vape with impunity and completely blow you off if you say something. I can only imagine the feigned indignation we are going to experience with the pot law passing.

Personally, I could care less if somebody wants to smoke crack in their living room. As long as their activities don't intrude on my life, they can do whatever the heck they want. When they start breaking into vehicles to fund the habit, that's over the line. When they leave their heroin needles in the public parks for kids to step on? That's over the line. When some douche-nozzle is sucking a big 'ol dart at an intersection and blowing his lung contents into my vehicle, even by accident, that's over the line and that same line of reasoning applies to somebody hauling on a vape. I don't care if it smells like strawberry Sherbert, I don't want to be inhaling that garbage and I shouldn't have to. We had to leave a concert last summer due to the oblivious potheads a few rows up whose selfish actions made the situation intolerable for others. Just like I'm not discharging my 12-gauge 2ft from their eardrums because it may not be an enjoyable experience, them sucking back joint after joint when there are children present is discourteous and frankly, downright inappropriate at a venue geared at being "family friendly". I don't force people to participate in my habits or pastimes and I simply expect the same in return.

I understand those entirely, Overkill. There is a time and place for everything.

The thing that got me about one of your comments was, vape smoke coming back into your vehicle waiting in traffic. Although I agree that is discourteous, imo, and only my opinion, I would rather smell that than cigarette smoke, and that was even when I was smoking.
Many smokers will tell you the same thing, although they smoke, they also hate the smell of it if they aren't currently having one themselves.

At our work, where we have designated smoking areas, those are also the only place for vapers to use as well. Although I have seen many sneak a haul here or there with their vapes, it is viewed the same as smoking so anyone caught will suffer the same consequences as them.

I am not sure if that is the case everywhere, but I assume it will be before long if vaping continues to grow in popularity?

The thing that got me about one of your comments was, vape smoke coming back into your vehicle waiting in traffic. Although I agree that is discourteous, imo, and only my opinion, I would rather smell that than cigarette smoke, and that was even when I was smoking.

Certainly, cigarette smoke is worse, and sticks around far longer. I would simply rather have neither coming into my vehicle when I'm in traffic, that was my point, I wasn't trying to draw a parallel between the two in terms of severity, which I hope I've now clarified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back