anyone have a Ford Flex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Lyle. I'm 6'2" and actually fit in the 3rd row of the Flex. It was a little tight but for, say up to an hour I think I would have been fine. It is HUGE inside and nowhere like a CRV - way more space. It's limo quality in the inside and me and the wife really liked it.

The boxy shape means you get tons of useable storage space - IIRC a 4x8 sheet of plywood will fit inside with all the seats folded down.

With the Ecoboost it's a mid 6 second to 60 wagon/crossover and will surprise most. The 3.5 is no slouch either. The AWD while not RWD biased is quite good and there is little to no torque steer. (It's the same AWD system as in the SHO.)

It's really a great car - I think the wife may get one when she is ready to replace her Escape.

IMO youre downplaying the interior of the CRV... And you know Im no Honda fan.

It just has a ton of USEFUL space. I fit fine in the back row, which even reclines and slides back there.

Is the flex bigger? Sure, I dont think anyone is denying that. But for the useful interior space compared to the massive exterior, IMO the CRV is more space efficient.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
But for the useful interior space compared to the massive exterior, IMO the CRV is more space efficient.

Strongly disagree, the Flex for its somewhat diminutive appearing exterior (especially standing next to it) is simply cavernous inside. The Flex's boxy exterior shape results in excellent space efficiency. As already stated, the CRV's interior is downright tiny in comparison. Even the Pilot seems cramped compared to the Flex, especially in the 2nd and 3rd rows.

The 2011 Explorer isn't in the Flex's league in this regard at all, IMO.

Sorry, I had my models crossed. I was thinking Ford Edge, not flex...

Thing is, at 16/22 MPG, I might as well just buy a suburban and truly have maximum space.

17/24 (16/22 is for AWD and EcoBoost AWD) and they have no problem beating that in the real world. One of my best friends went from an '08 Expedition EL to a '09 Flex as the family ride and the gas savings were huge.

He averaged around 26 MPG on a trip from MS to VA going ~80 MPH.

And the 16/22 rated EcoBoost Flex runs like this:

This guy went a best of 14.25@97 with his stock Flex, and [email protected] with a tune.

The expedition is rated poorer than the suburban in terms of MPG, which is 17/21 in 4wd trim on the sub. Im really not looking to run the 1/4 in a station wagon. That doesnt impress me in any way, and frankly considering what I'd be looking for in a family hauler, it is highly wasteful.

Id prefer that the ecoboost from the explorer be in there with a 28 MPG rating, then we would be talking.

I was going to jump in on the CR-V to Flex comparison, but it looks like there was a mix-up of models. As much as we love our CR-V, it in no way compares to the size of the Flex. And I would agree on the Pilot...our built-on-the-same-chassis Acura MDX would not compare to the amount of interior space in a Flex. The Flex is simply a larger vehicle.

The Pilot and Acura do offer 3rd row seats, and we utilize ours a lot...but for young'ns only. You can fit an adult back there, but it's exceedingly cramped.

I was getting confused on the CRV comparison too, glad we got that cleared up...
regarding the expedition/suburban/etc comparison, the Flex is a lot lower to the ground; I was trying to avoid that kind of truck based SUV.
I still like the GM Lamdas too (outlook, acadia, etc) and that's what my wife prefers, but I would like to test a flex.

I can see a Flex in my family's future as well. The only thing I find funny about them is that the driver must sit a bit low in them as short people look tiny inside and some must have way over a foot of headroom.
A buddy bought one in the first model year and he's been very happy with it, with no major problems.

If you look at a new Odyssey or Town & Country, I think they'll drive a lot better than you think. The Town & Country actually out-handles the Odyssey now, which is backwards from what the situation used to be. It sounds like people room and cargo room is your priority, and minivans still can't be beat for that. The sliding side doors are wonderful for parking lots as well.

Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Love the style and concept of the Flex. Its high-priced compared to the Edge, seems like the Flex starts out pretty highly optioned. Have heard nothing but good from the few people I know who own them.

Big drawback for me: FWD. And yes, I know AWD is available, but it still has the weight/balance issues of an AWD based on a FWD platform instead of a RWD platform. Give it RWD and I'd have ranked it right up there with the Magnum, which I miss greatly.

I understand, but I've had FWD's for so long now I'm used to them and know how they drive and react.
I liked the magnum in concept, but not in execution. I think the roofline was too low. I think they missed the boat by trying to make a wagon sporty, instead of emphasizing the utility of it.
but whatever. there's a reason I don't collect a paycheck from their marketing dept.

I absolutely LOVED the Magnum, low roofline, aggressive stance and all. About the only thing I didn't like was the small rear side windows that resulted from the roofline. But I think your view is more common and that's why its not being built anymore. Maybe you SHOULD be the one collecting the paycheck from their marketing dept! ;-)

How does Flex compare with a minivan for the 3rd row seating? If you use the 3rd row for seating, do you have any luggage space left? We are in the process of determining if we can buy something other than a minvan but if we occasionally need the 3rd row and the luggage space, are we stuck with a minivan or can go with a Flex or something like that?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
How does Flex compare with a minivan for the 3rd row seating? If you use the 3rd row for seating, do you have any luggage space left? We are in the process of determining if we can buy something other than a minvan but if we occasionally need the 3rd row and the luggage space, are we stuck with a minivan or can go with a Flex or something like that?

it looks like there is still alot of space behind the 3rd row (which is lacking in my Mazda5)but I need to go look at one myself.

With the third row up you do not have a lot of cargo space, nothing compared to a minivan like the odyssey.

There is not minivan-like space behind the 3rd row, but there is more space than you might realize. It all depends on what will work for you. It's narrower than a minivan and not as tall, but it all works for me, and I'm the only one I have to satisfy. As for carrying 4 x 8's back there, forget it. I had a '95 Grand Caravan and in the 13 years I had it, I never loaded any 4 x 8's back there so that wasn't a consideration for me. Other than the Sienna, no minivan has AWD and no minivan has 350lb/ft of torque at 1500rpm.

I LOVE the Flex! One of the coolest little wagons out there.

At almost 4900 pounds it better have some serious HP/Torque! I still can't believe how heavy it is.

And the average driver isn't getting these stupid high economy numbers quoted either. Eboost is great tech, but you still have a tick less than 5000 pounds to move!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id prefer that the ecoboost from the explorer be in there with a 28 MPG rating, then we would be talking.

I believe it will be in 2013.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
And the average driver isn't getting these stupid high economy numbers quoted either. Eboost is great tech, but you still have a tick less than 5000 pounds to move!

Those "stupid high economy" numbers I quoted were for a '09 Flex FWD with the N/A 3.5.

I'm getting 17mpg driving back and forth to work, running errands, driving kids to lessons, etc. I did 3-400 mile trips up to our lake place not towing the pwc's this summer and each trip got 25mpg or slightly better. This was with the cruise set at 74. Oddly, I seem to get the same mpg "gettin on it" or driving more sanely. I tell my wife that the Ecoboost is most efficient when it's pumping a lot of air, so I have to make it pump a lot of air. Not for one nanosecond is she buying it, but I'm trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back