Anyone following IRMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in Pinellas County water supply is running out, gas stations are packed full of cars waiting in line with gas running out.

Last edited:
Exactly boiburner. It is still difficult five days out to totally nail down track but it appears Labor Day Hurricane track may well be what happens here. In terms of intensity at day five afterwards it appears that upper level winds are going to get stronger. This will weaken the system IF this happens. A major hurricane cat 3 or 4 at landfall is still very likely.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
Here in Pinellas County water supply is running out, gas stations are packed full of cars waiting in line with gas running out.

A coworker told me of a big fist fight at a gas station cause people are getting frustrated at the long lines.

I filled up all our tanks Sunday morning, I just wanted to play it safe.

I'll take tornadoes to a major hurricane any day, and just come down there to vacation from time to time. No offense.

Up here everyone is like "I'd love to live on the southern coasts!!!" But seeing what residents of the coastal areas have to deal with when a Big One spins up, no thanks. I respect your ability to withstand these storms.

Yes, family in direct path of the cat 5 section... It hits them tomorrow starting early... they'll see 185+.

This is where all the [censored] about needing a big generator for AC and to watch TV, and a full gas tank to drive a guzzler around at speed for convenience and "just because" goes out the window. Living on an island means logistics and long, long durations where survival is key... food and water... Running on sparse fuel, being awake until the fuel runs out and then resupplying when you can.

Hopefully the roof will hold. I think they've got a strong one, knock on wood. They're 800 feet up too, which is good. We know folks on another nearby flat island that is even more in the path, looking at a 12ft surge. That means most of the island will not be there for a while, the highest point is only 28 ft.

800 ft high maybe a bad thing... Winds increase with height. So it could well be a negative if someone lives up in elevation. Especially if they are near the coast and the wind has no natural block to it so that it comes from the ocean unimpeded.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Yes, family in direct path of the cat 5 section... It hits them tomorrow starting early... they'll see 185+.

This is where all the [censored] about needing a big generator for AC and to watch TV, and a full gas tank to drive a guzzler around at speed for convenience and "just because" goes out the window. Living on an island means logistics and long, long durations where survival is key... food and water... Running on sparse fuel, being awake until the fuel runs out and then resupplying when you can.

Hopefully the roof will hold. I think they've got a strong one, knock on wood. They're 800 feet up too, which is good. We know folks on another nearby flat island that is even more in the path, looking at a 12ft surge. That means most of the island will not be there for a while, the highest point is only 28 ft.

Yikes, 185 mph sustained is pretty crazy... I think I'd give up on our upper and main floor, and just reinforce the walkout cellar just to have a place to hide with a couple weeks of food until it was over. That wind would blow away some cars wouldn't it?

I sincerely hope your family stays safe during the storm!

Yikes!

All of the sudden the typical construction style in the islands begins to make sense: concrete block walls, slab floors with ceramic tile throughout. Minimal use of structural wood. If I understand it correctly. Educate me if not... I'm a northerner.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
All of the sudden the typical construction style in the islands begins to make sense: concrete block walls, slab floors with ceramic tile throughout. Minimal use of structural wood. If I understand it correctly. Educate me if not... I'm a northerner.

Puerto Rico has done this for years; all new construction is concrete w/ no structural wood I believe.

This is where all the [censored]

Is hopping a plane and an impromptu visit to family anywhere else an option? American is flying extra flights to handle excess demand.

Or is weathering Cat 5 storms part of island experience and living. I wish them the best.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
what are they thinking at 28ft. elevation during hurricane season?

Some people live on small islands and it is their home, not much place to go but another island in the same storm path.

They build different than they do here.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Correct. The wood used for the roof is much heavier than you'll find in the states, and tied down into the block walls filled with concrete and rebar..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back