Anyone fix appliances?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than go through a long post I was hoping someone here is familiar with repairing a clothes dryer. If so I'll post the details, or PM you if possible.

Many thanks,
Frank D

The first thing to do is make sure it's not clogged up with lint.

Just post the details. You have a bunch of folks probably wondering what up with your dryer.

Thanks, I should have figured you guys would know. The dryer is marking up the clothes, because it appears the drum is wobbling due to some kind of worn felt gasket at the front of the drum, behind where the door closes. The clothes get stuck in there and get a mark from the drum rotating.

Looking at it, I was wondering if there is a felt gasket I can buy and try and re-do what appears to have flattened out. They want stupid money for the gasket, and I am not 100% certain that it will resolve the issue.

Thanks!
Frank D

this is a common problem on dryers, it sounds like one of the idler wheels has worn out, they sell a stud and wheel kit that is very cheap, under $5.

you have to pop the front of the dryer off i used a flat bladed scraper to do mine, take the belt off the idler pulley, that pulley is near the motor. then the drum will pull out toward you.

at the back are two black wheels one or both of those are bad.

when i did mine i replaced the belt and the idler pulley for the belt as well as the drum wheels

the hardest part of the job is getting the darn front off, two clips on the top and bolts at the bottom

good luck and feel free to pm me if i can help

I fixed my 13 years old dryer, it needed a new motor and a fuse, but other than that still working fine. BTW it is a coin op one that is in an apartment complex, paid for itself within the first 2 years and after that pure profit.

If the felt gasket doesn't include it you may also need a plastic strip that acts as a bearing. As it wears the clearance between the drum and door increases and ends up catching clothes. It seems to be a common, cobby design.

Originally Posted By: 1sttruck
If the felt gasket doesn't include it you may also need a plastic strip that acts as a bearing. As it wears the clearance between the drum and door increases and ends up catching clothes. It seems to be a common, cobby design.

On our former cheaper dryers the felt/plastic thing was never the issue, my wife managed to kill several dryers before we bought the infamous Neptune Maytag-team. Now we just retro-fit the washer with upgraded parts from time to time.

On the last cheap dryer I had a zipper on it. Found out that steel spade terminals are needed ..and not to use the aluminum that I had sitting around. Kept wondering why the element kept burning out near the spade terminal ...

..anyway ..her 3 overloads a day wore the rear bearing ..which appeared to be a steel ball sitting in a nylon "socket" that had grooves in it that ran the rotational plane. The new one (she sheared the ball clean off at its neck) came with some type of grease.

I thought that the markings on the clothes were pieces of the drive belt somehow getting into the drum interior.
21.gif

I had a zipper on that thing. I think I was down to about 2 or 3 sheet metal screws.

Is she doing this for a business? 3 loads a day seems to be much higher than typical household usage. I only have 3 load in the entire family for the week, maybe not even that.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Is she doing this for a business? 3 loads a day seems to be much higher than typical household usage. I only have 3 load in the entire family for the week, maybe not even that.

It's a genetic characteristic of the family. Even my BIL's wife commented that she never knew there were so many uses for water until she married David. I witnessed my FIL washing stuff that I never knew got dirty (watched him concoct toxic mixtures for the grooves that the shower door slid in and such
54.gif
). He'd also clean all the dishes in scalding hot water by hand before putting them in the dishwasher.

If it hits the floor it's in the wash. She also appears to find most items ..disposable ..not in a "throw it away" ..but allowing it to get messed up. Hence two or three changing's a day were not uncommon when the kids were toddlers.

It's sorta a natural magnet for neurotic behaviors.
21.gif

Now ..with a near empty nest...we're down to a load every other day or so. If she needs a "fix" she'll tear apart the bed ...including the mattress pad and comforter ..and make an "event" out of it.

I tore it apart today, it was the felt gasket with the plastic alignment strips $40 for a part that looks like a $2 item. I guess it beats the [censored] out of buying a dryer. Seems to be working fine. The parts place had that "felt alignment gasket". The gasket comes in 2 parts, the alignment gasket, and for the remaining area a felt gasket. He didn't have the felt gasket but said mine was OK. I thought it was worn. I might go to Home Depot and get some felt weather stripping and make my own for the rest of it, just because I am a little OCD.

Thanks for the help!

Frank D

Glad to hear you figured it out. It's not practical anymore to have a repair person come out, with their service charge, parts mark up, labor charges, etc..

IF you have the time to mail order on future repairs, you can often get parts delivered for less than half of what the local shops charge. The net shops have complete parts diagrams and often provide diagnostic/tear down steps. Ebay and Amazon often have parts too.

Hope it all works out fine.

My brand-new Maytag is making clothes hot but not dry....my wife keeps putting them in for 3 x 60 minutes and still nothing, I need to go in there and see what is what. Dryer is less than 3 months old, from Best Buy (had a 10% off card plus another sale).

It's electric.

It should still have a warranty. Get a repair guy out to do it.

It should have an auto setting that integrates the humidity level. If that's a 3hr session ..
21.gif

Sounds like the "air fluff" setting needs to be on "regular". That would be my first stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back