Anyone consider Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We used VPB in a truck once because it supposedly cleans better. There was something wrong with the truck due to lack of maintenance on the engine (former driver never took it in for servicing). I don't know if it worked or not, but the cleaning ability is supposedly the big difference for a diesel engine.

I've never used Premium Blue, but I have successfully used Valvoline's Heavy Duty Diesel 15w40 in a GL1100 and FJR1300. Worked fine, no problems at all.

Same goes for Delvac and Rotella and Delo in 15w40. However, I won't use Delo again. Not because it's bad oil, but rather because I got my worst ever speeding ticket on the FJR with Delo in the sump. Delo is scientifically proven to be bad luck!

FWIW, the GL1100 just got an oil change with Delvac and the FJR is running a 50/50 mix of Delvac and some old Mobil 1 15w50 I bought on clearance years ago. The Japanese bikes seem pretty flexible--I'll run 5w40, 10w40, 15w40, 15w50, or 20w50, synthetic, conventional or a blend. Whatever. They've all been fine.

The worst engine problem (but not a true disaster by any means) I've ever had was while running Mobil 1 15w50 "red cap" in an ST1100 years ago. Coincidence? Maybe, I don't know. The bike has 80k on it at the time, and I got it to 101k before selling it, so the M1 wasn't all bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back