Anyone care to talk about wrist watches?

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I think basic Tag stainless steel watches looks the best.

Indeed!

thumbsup2.gif

I have a 1986 Heuer 1000 Professional and a 2015 Tag Heuer Formula 1 McLaren Limited Edition- both gifts from my lovely bride.

I don't currently own a Rolex and maybe never will. However, should I ever happen to own a Rolex watch, I don't want the one we see on billboards or display windows. I don't want the typical Presidential, Submariner or Daytona. I'd want a e.g., Rolex Date1500 watch on a leather strap, that looks much like any regular watch but, it's a Rolex, without screaming "ROLEX"!
smile.gif

For most Rolex owners, and many luxury watch owners in general, that's the entire point.
smile.gif

It's a known quantity, part of the uniform, and projects the "right" image.

Just like the masses who shop for cars, with the badge as the most important feature.

They are fine watches, and to their credit, they do their own movements, but for that kind of coin, there are a lot of more interesting options, IMO.

But as the poster above says, buy what makes you happy.

Last edited:
Had a Seiko 5 good watch for quite a while. The Malaysian one I bought to replace it didn't last long. Don't know what a good no nonsense mechanical watch is these days.

Had a $3 Walmart LED watch that I impulsively bought in the mid eighties
Feather light and it lasted three years. I often forgot I had it on. I got certified to scuba dive and accidentally took it to 66 foot depth. No problem.

JustN89, did you get a second band with your watch? I see these in the mall all the time. I thought about springing for one but, I really want an automatic/mechanical.

miden851, I just introduced my buddy to Victorinox. He got the new INOX that he now wears most days.

A mechanical watch isnt about timekeeping, and yes a cheap quartz will always do a batter job, but they hold their value about like a used hand grenade.

There are hundreds of movements on the market and a very large number of mechanicals use inexpensive ETA/swatch movements.

Then you have mechanicals that uses an in house movement - this separates the men from the boys.
These a rare creations these days and the market is very robust for them and select few brands hold and or appreciate n value and can be considered investments.

Watches like this are about your relationship with time vs simply telling what time it may be.

I have a modest collection.

Hamilton Rodney - grandpas 25 year watch.
Lecoultre memovox alarm
Omega memomatic alarm
JLC reverso duo GMT
JLC reverso sport chrono
Rolex Submariner

Then I have a high end clock called an atmos which is the closest device man has created to a perpetual motion machine.

All these devices have appreciated considerably since original purchase.

UD

Nobody called me on the closest thing to perpetual motion yet claim eh?

Not usually like bitog. Usually that comment spurs a few good discussions.

Noted.

UD

Last edited:
JustN89, did you get a second band with your watch? I see these in the mall all the time. I thought about springing for one but, I really want an automatic/mechanical.

miden851, I just introduced my buddy to Victorinox. He got the new INOX that he now wears most days.

Yeah, it came in a box with a second band, tool to swap the bands with, and a certificate of authenticity. First Bulova watch that I've owned and must say, it's a pretty good watch.

I've always liked watches though I've only owned inexpensive 'cheap' ones. I bought a Seiko5 off Amazon a few months ago [$62 shipped]along with a blue Barton gel band to match, and it keeps good time to be a cheap automatic. I did have my 1967 Bulova Accutron 214 serviced a couple of months ago and it's humming right along. I have a Fossil quartz and a cheap Invicta quartz and both keep great time. My every day watches are a Victorinox quartz and a couple of Timex Expedition quartz watches. I set my 15 year old $25 hack featured Timex Expedition with the world clock on my ipad 2 months ago, and it has lost a total of 5 seconds since.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I've always liked watches though I've only owned inexpensive 'cheap' ones. I bought a Seiko5 off Amazon a few months ago [$62 shipped]along with a blue Barton gel band to match, and it keeps good time to be a cheap automatic. I did have my 1967 Bulova Accutron 214 serviced a couple of months ago and it's humming right along. I have a Fossil quartz and a cheap Invicta quartz and both keep great time. My every day watches are a Victorinox quartz and a couple of Timex Expedition quartz watches. I set my 15 year old $25 hack featured Timex Expedition with the world clock on my ipad 2 months ago, and it has lost a total of 5 seconds since.

Thats the cool thing about watches - there is something to be had for everyone - at every price point.

They can be inexpensive functional jewelry, rugged outdoor aids, business tools (yes) or investment quality pieces and everything in between.

UD

Last edited:
Uncle Dave,
What do you mean by perpetual motion?
I have 2 perpetual date watches however they're both quartz.

*Seiko Mile Marker/Map Meter
*Elgin World Timer from '94-'95. This has a Citizen movement as is identical to the SkyHawk.
I'll post pics.

In the case of the atmos I mean runs "forever" without being externally wound or powered by any other devise aside from the mechanism inside the clock itself.

I has a 1000 year sweep hand.
A moon phase / day of month indicator good to 1 day every 3000 years.
A month indicator wheel
-and of course it keeps time.

Its powered by a sealed bellows filled with ethyl chloride that expands and contract to wind a mainspring 1 degree of temperature change creates enough energy to power the clock for 3 days and since pretty much every room in any house will vary by that much temp wise the machine is in effect indefinitely powered.

In that it does require passive input and in that the mechanism is incredibly efficient it creates a very close approximation to a perpetual motion machine.

In that nothing can be this device is very close.

Its an incredible piece.

UD

Originally Posted By: gman2304
UD, does the ATMOS ever gain or lose time, thus needing to be set?

Yes Ive had it do both. It does have an adjustment on it, but adjusting to perfect is probably not actually possible , so I set it to run a tiny bit fast and shut it off for a few minutes once a year and a half or so.

UD

Originally I wanted an Oris mechanical watch but settled down for less expensive watch Victorinox;
Victorinox is fairly inexpensive watch that screams value; mine displays correct time all the time, it doesn’t run slow nor fast for several months; I paid $400 at the time; extremely happy with my purchase!

Ahhh, I see what you're saying Uncle Dave(perpetual motion)!
I've been messing around with wrist watches for over 40 years(nothing high end) and I'm still learning something everyday.

Thanks,

CB

Back