Anyone care to talk about wrist watches?

Not a collector, but wanted a decent watch. Love my custom Tag Monaco Calibre 12. Had it custom made with a metal strap from the Monaco LS. It is a mechanical self winding chrono. Just uses an Eta movement.

Last edited:
I stopped wearing watches for a while but came back to the fold in 2015.

Timex and G-Shock mostly, but I did spring for a Seiko Kinetic last year. Not completely happy with it. My experience is basically that it has the accuracy of a quartz with the neediness of an automatic, and you can't use a normal watch-winder to keep the thing charged when not wearing it.

If you haven't already found them Long Island Watch is pretty good for online purchases. I've gotten some really good deals off the site and Marc (the owner) seems to be really into watches. He also has a series of "Watch and learn" videos on YouTube that cover all sorts of topics.

I love unique watches. I've never got into high end watches, but I have a few nice ones.

I have a Seiko Kinetic that was a gift from my son. I just recently had to have the "battery" replaced in it. I love the technology of it.

I also have a Pulsar Solar that I've had for about 17 years. Also cool technology. the face is the solar panel, although you would never know it by looking at it. And the entire face is also an "Indiglo" style lit. No button. It just lights. But not for very long after going into dark.

Then I have a Bulova Accutron. I remember when they were introduced the Accutron was the most accurate watch in the world. A few years later, quartz watches were introduced and Accutrons quickly became old news. But I love mine for sentimental reasons. It was my fathers. I remember going with my mother to the jewelry store when she bought it as a gift for my father.

The battery only lasts about 6-9 months. And finding people with the skills to work on an Accutron is becoming increasingly difficult.

All three of these watches are unique in their technology. I love that about them. Because of a strict no jewelry policy on the production floor at work, I don't get to wear my watches as much as I would like. I wear it to work, and take it off when I get to my desk. Then I put it back on when I leave for home. But I do love unique watches.

Modern smart watches such as the iWatch have absolutely no appeal to me. They have almost no mechanical design. And they have planned obsolescence designed right into them. Just like smart phones, as new models come out the old smart watches already end up stuffed in the back of a dresser drawer. In the near future, LTE4 will be replaced with newer technology, and current smart watches will become no more useful than a paperweight. After residing in the drawer for a few years, they will end up in a landfill.

Last edited:
I don't wear a watch very often these days, but when I do, it's this Blue Mako...

36551293266_23a37a53ef_o.jpg

I received this Zenith as a wedding gift, but it's too nice to wear.
smile.gif

39062545172_af74af6164_o.jpg

I got this Citizen a couple years ago after a few decades of not wearing a watch. The one I got has the rubber band which helps at work by having some give. I purchased the metal band separately so I could dress it up when necessary. I have a small wrist so I had to be careful not over sizing it. Can't stand the (hopefully over!) fad of HUGE watches that look like WWII sea mines with lots of knobs. This one is plain and simple, but still has a bit of classy pop to it IMO.
http://dive-watch-connection.com/shop/en/buy-citizen-watches/6017-bn0100-51e.html

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I love the TITANIUM/gunmetal!
smile.gif

Is that Gold or Rose?

I think the gold colored metal is also Ti. It was sold as a two tone Ti watch.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Kind of a lost art now with cell phones. I dont usually wear one as they usually irritate my skin. Granted the most expensive Ive worn is a Fossil watch..i have a couple Kenneth Cole unlisted (cheap) watches. I typically only wear them on special occasions if I remember to!

Of course, the reason to wear a watch remains, even in the world of cell phones. It's jewelry for men, it always has been. I must say, done properly, it looks darn good too. Wear a suit with a watch, they go well together. Wear a suit with a bracelet and expect some looks...

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Of course, the reason to wear a watch remains, even in the world of cell phones. It's jewelry for men, it always has been. I must say, done properly, it looks darn good too. Wear a suit with a watch, they go well together. Wear a suit with a bracelet and expect some looks...

That's really the best way to describe it. A cheap quartz watch will keep better time than the most expensive of watches, and not require any maintenance aside from battery changes.

Like diamonds and precious metals, a lot of the value ascribed is perceived, not intrinsic.

And while there is an overall artistry involved, it's but a handful of basic movements that are used in everything from cheap watches to the most expensive, in varying levels of dress, parts upgrades, and added complications.

I can still appreciate a fine watch, but the intangibles are what prop up the market.

I tend to like watches for some specific reason, like the movement, history, or other feature. I have a Speedmaster for the history, another watch for the tritium markers and hands, a bunch of G-Shocks (all solar/atomic), a Bulova Precisionist for the smooth movement, then a bunch of Seikos (mostly SKX models).

My every day watch is a Casio PRW-3000 or a Hamilton Khaki Mechanical.

I wear pretty much everything on a NATO.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Wal-Mart had a Seiko 5 23 jewel automatic made in Japan I got for $58 when they were new to online sales about 15 years ago. I never cared about metal watch bands,
so I gave it to my brother.

I had a Seiko5 21 jewel auto from the early 80's. It ran great and I liked it very much. However, I did end up giving to a young(just out of college)engineer from a temp agency, whom I had worked with prior to my retirement.

He was leaving our company for a permanent job with another company. No one gave him a goodbye party or even a card. This is how my company treated "Temps".
frown.gif

He had always admired the watches I wore at work and I thought he was deserving of this Seiko5.

I love Long Island Watch!
I am looking all the time at Orient watches for their beauty and value. I will get one soon. There are other watches that I want as well(Victorinox automatic(s) come to mind).

One reason I am not jumping into any new watches at this time is that I currently own >70 watches and need to part with some as to get others.
wink.gif

I had two rectangular Citizen watches that I really liked. Rectangular watches don't bind when I bend my wrist. Both had mechanical failures. I'll never buy another. I now own two Skagens, and one Grenen (same company). All three are round, but I still prefer rectangular.

I don't currently own a Rolex and maybe never will. However, should I ever happen to own a Rolex watch, I don't want the one we see on billboards or display windows. I don't want the typical Presidential, Submariner or Daytona. I'd want a e.g., Rolex Date1500 watch on a leather strap, that looks much like any regular watch but, it's a Rolex, without screaming "ROLEX"!
smile.gif

The 1500 is not the Rolex watch that people come up to you and ask, "is that a real Rolex"?
smirk.gif

They're the watch that people will ask, "oh, what watch are you wearing"?
smile.gif

And when you show them, they say, "Oh Wow, it's a ROLEX"! Who would guess?
laugh.gif

And for the sake of questions/curiosity, I do realize that Rolex is the designer of their own style watches and look like no other brands. It's other brands that look like Rolex's.

Last edited:
I dunno, for me a watch has always been a tool, and until this watch not really a piece of jewelry. I wore cheap Timex and some Casio watches for most of my life, and have a nicer Citizen dress watch that was a wedding gift.

This is my daily driver now. It was my dad's and is probably from the 1960s or 70s. A new mainspring and a good cleaning and even the self-winding feature works. The Speidel twist-o-flex band works well.

My Seiko quartz railroad watch has ran continuously for thirty five years except when five batteries were replaced. The problem now is that the gasket between the battery hatch and the watch back has deteriorated and seized the hatch so tight that it can't be removed. The slotted milled in the watch back has been wallowed out trying to rotate the hatch. Bah Humbug

Variant_S
That's a great looking watch! I can picture your watch with a brown leather or lizard band. And because of the white dial(face), maybe even a band with white contrast stitching.

My '58 -39 jewel Benrus (silver) has a very similar look. I replaced the stretch steel band with a grained leather
band and, OH MAN, does it look great. A leather band can take some watches to another level.

Back