Anyone bought or shopped for a Ford based Sprinter type Class B vanahome ?

A Transit RV? Let’s see, lots of weight, non-HD drivetrain… Not sure how well that would go… I’m not sure even Amsoil lubricants could keep that transmission & rear axle together!

A Transit RV? Let’s see, lots of weight, non-HD drivetrain… Not sure how well that would go…
Actually the Transit comes in a 350 "one ton" version. It's used extensively in the RV industry. And the chassis gets very good reviews. Even can be had with a "dualie" rear axle.

I give up

All these are junk
If you refer to the RV industry of late, as a generality, I'd very much agree.
It's not so much an issue with the chassis/van, but the conversion leaves a lot to be desired. The RV industry was bad before CVD, and since then it's pretty much a crapshoot at best. The horror stories from folks resounds all across the industry regardless of brand.

You might consider this sister-site .... https://rvthe.us/community/
You'll recognize several of the names there.

Actually the Transit comes in a 350 "one ton" version. It's used extensively in the RV industry. And the chassis gets very good reviews. Even can be had with a "dualie" rear axle.
Danger-it’s still the same transmission (10R80 on the newer ones) that we’ve had trouble with. I can’t vouch for the dually rear axle, we haven’t had any (although the dually tires are EVEN SMALLER than the puny SRW ones). The GDI/port injected engine (3.5 Ti-VCT) is a plugger, but they work hard under a load. The Class C cutaway chassis still use the Econoline drivetrain-they’re somewhat tougher. My vote is the GM cutaway Class C-not perfect, but better than Ford. I have roughly 850,000 miles in 27+ years in Ford & GM 2500/3500 cargo vans, plus hearing of the issues we had in other areas-company has spent a few $ on them…

You can worry a thing to death if you're not careful. The recommendation about renting first is still the best idea, and if you like then buy one with the understanding that it will probably wreck one or more of your holidays if you use it long enough. Comes with the territory. But as someone who has been camping and rving my entire life, I wouldn't stop just because you're worried about possible failures. Preventative maintenance still goes a long way.

at work we bought 2 that had 30k on them and they’ve been nightmares ever since. constant electrical problems. you can park them and then 3-4 hours later the headlights and wipers will come on sometimes and others the battery is just dead. i would stay away.

Back