Anybody Run A Different Winter Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the above topic states - anybody run a different oil viscosity or brand during your winter fill versus your summer fill ?

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Synthetic 5W30 summer/0W20 winter.

same on `06 Odyssey

other cars I run recommended grade year long. 4Runner 0w-30 year round.

In the Camaro, 5w30 year-round, but for a few winters in the past, I used 0w30.

In the Ram, 15w40 conventional April-November, 5w40 synthetic December-March.

I do in the Toyota's, thicker conventional for warm weather, thinner synthetic when frigid.

5w20 summer, 0w20 winter on all three vehicles. Usually QSUD or PP/PUP, depending what's on sale when I stock up.

Whatever the summer choice is, if you live in snow states that go sub zero there is a huge benefit from using the 0 winter rated oil. Whether you just stay with that or not through the year is an individual choice, but watch the youtubes out there on cold flow oil tests. On viscosity charts it usually only shows a -5 benefit from 0 to 5 winter rating, but I believe that to be very short sided. the benefit imo is at least -15f. So using a 0 winter rated oil buys you -15 in the bank. Want even more int he bank, look at the heaby pao/ester formulas.

I don't switch, but I know three serious oil guys that live up north that all use different winter and summer oils.

Got some PUP 0W-20 HM at Walmart for $14 and change a jug and got the $10 rebate as well it will be going in late next month for my October OCI. Yes I switch things up. What's on sale with a rebate is King!

for the first couple years with the sable, Stuck with 5w20, but did a name brand conv.(whatever was on sale for cheap) for the summers, then store brand Syn in the winter.
then I got a deal on synpower 0w20..the engine "felt" better/stronger that oci, so every oci after that was store brand 0w20.

Last edited:
No. that's why they make multi-viscosity motor oils. And that's why I use 0W-xx motor oils.

The Outback has always used 0W-20, but when the last jug in my stash is gone, she is going to start getting 0W-30 in hopes of reducing oil consumption.

The SL550 gets 0W-40, and she is a daily driver so the 0W is important to me for winter conditions here in Northern Utah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back