any test results with with rotella t6 in a 6.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjm

help me out just bought a 6.0L with 205k on it have no idea whats been used before. Trying to descide what to run a 15w40 brad penn or the rotella t6 regardles gonna stick to 5k changes. Just want whats best for the way the oil is used in these engines. Does rotella keep from shearing better or brad penn?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
the egr cooler and headbolts are the problem with that engine and not oil brand

well actually it's sediment inside the block from the casting which cloggs the oil cooler which then starves the egr cooler of coolant causing it to overheat and crack.

but honestly to answer your question I think regular 5,000 mile oil changes with the correct oil is the best you can do for that engine. I don't know how cold it gets in ohio but I'd say if it gets below 10 degrees frequently up there I think synthetic would be a good benefit otherwise just stick with good ole 15w40.

The only thing that kept me from going in there and reporting that little incident was the fact that a car was next to me making it so I couldn't turn in.

Oops wrong thread. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: wjm
help me out just bought a 6.0L with 205k on it have no idea whats been used before. Trying to descide what to run a 15w40 brad penn or the rotella t6 regardles gonna stick to 5k changes. Just want whats best for the way the oil is used in these engines. Does rotella keep from shearing better or brad penn?

Did you really need to start another thread? You already have several going about this same topic ...

Please use the search button; there are plenty of "test results" in the UOA HDEO forum that you can review. You'll find all the answers you need there.

I'll note that if you're sticking to 5k mile OCIs, you have zero need for any synthetic product.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've noticed that too.

FIVE separate threads now, all on the same general topic . . . BP 15w-40 vs. T6.

Actually the 6.0 psd injectors perform much better during colds starts with a 5W40 synthetic oil vs a 15W40 conventional oil.

A synthetic oil is highly recommended by some of 6.0 psd experts who know these injectors and how they work.

Last edited:
Just for info; the 10w-30 T5 has the same cold crank rating as the T6 5-40. And in OH, the dino 10w-30 will suffice very well; my neighbor has had great success with such in the Rotella line, and roadrunner has great success with the JD 10w-30. One does not "need" a syn for such application.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Just for info; the 10w-30 T5 has the same cold crank rating as the T6 5-40. And in OH, the dino 10w-30 will suffice very well; my neighbor has had great success with such in the Rotella line, and roadrunner has great success with the JD 10w-30. One does not "need" a syn for such application.

I agree 100%, for whatever reason(s) the "synthetic oil is NEEDED for a diesel or turbo application" has proliferated itself to the point of unbelievable proportion.

The current offerings of diesel engines in domestic pick-ups have proven through UOA's to do just fine with dino HDEO's, with evidence here in our HDEO UOA section.

I actually had higher wear numbers when I switched to a 5w-40 from a 15w-40 several years ago. I then went to a 10w-30 dino and the wear numbers settled back to where they were with 15w-40 or a little lower.
I have no issue running my 6.0 out to the owners manual recommended 7,500 OCI with 10w-30, with UOA evidence to back me up.

depends on where in ohio too
I see -5F to 100F every year.

but not too many days of below 0

usually it will dip down abit right before dawn then pop up to teens during day.

so there isnt really a "DAY" where its below 0

Last edited:
I had and 2006 F-250 with a 6.0 I got the best UAO with Schaeffer 15w-40 Supreme 7000. I tried Rotella, Mobil Delvac and Ford Oil and Schaeffer was the best. Still use it today in my 2012 Dodge 2500.

Last edited:
Is "best UOA" defined as singular excersises in experimentation? That is flawed logic, if so.

If you have significant sequential UOA data streams with those four lubes, please post them in the UOA section and provide link(s) to the data for review.

Originally Posted By: ozzmann
I had and 2006 F-250 with a 6.0 I got the best UAO with Schaeffer 15w-40 Supreme 7000. I tried Rotella, Mobil Delvac and Ford Oil and Schaeffer was the best. Still use it today in my 2012 Dodge 2500.
thanks i used to use schaeffers products and really liked them espically after u c one of their test that they do its pretty impresive.

Originally Posted By: wjm
thanks i used to use schaeffers products and really liked them espically after u c one of their test that they do its pretty impresive.

If you have ready access to Schaeffers Oils, I would use them. I've used them, and they're great. Their Supreme 9000 5w-40 is as good as T6.

The only reason most folks run T6 instead of 9000 is that the latter usually requires a substantial pre-order from a distributor, while the former can be grabbed at any Walmart.

In fact, if I can confirm VW 507.00 compliance with it, I might just start using the 9000 again myself, as all our vehicles would then be able to use one oil.

Schaeffer's 9000 does NOT meet this spec, though one could argue that you can run it without damaging your vehicle.

Below is a direct quote from one who knows.

"The VW 507.00 is associated with the ACEA C4 specification along with specific engine sequence tests that are only specific to Volkswagen. The ACEA C4 specification have specific chemical limits such as a sulfated ash content of 0.5% or less, a sulfur content of 0.2% or less and a Phosphorus content of 0.09% or less in order to protect the after-treatment devices that are used on their light duty diesel and gasoline powered vehicles. The ACEA C4 specification also requires that the engine oil be formulated from Group III type basestocks."

Schaeffers Tech Dept.

That's the same as when I last checked a couple of years back.

It's understandable for the fleet class oils to not have 507.00 approval; why pay for a test sequence for engines completely outside their target market. Perfectly reasonable.

T6 isn't 507.00 approved either. But I strongly suspect both are otherwise better than most of the oils that paid the cost to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back