Any RR L322 gurus here? Common Transmission leak points?

I walked over to our neighbor’s this afternoon and noticed this new development under his early L322 spare car.

C12D7245-8D45-4F3A-A9AA-19548CAFC949.jpeg

I am wondering if anyone has a handle on common problems on these transmissions as they age. I believe it’s a 2003; I know it has the BMW engine and ZF5HP. I have fixed a few things on the beast for him over the years, engine and (various) electrical, but am by no means expert on these particular vehicles. It’s 95 degrees here today and the next few days so I’m not going underneath it before the weekend or next week; I thought I would try to collect tips on any unique things to look for on them. Hopefully it’s not a main seal. I honestly didn’t realize my navigator had photo-bombed the pic until I just uploaded it.

That looks like a lot of fluid. Doubt its the front seal. Id guess either a cooling line or a hole in the pan.

That looks like a lot of fluid. Doubt its the front seal. Id guess either a cooling line or a hole in the pan.
Agree. It wasn’t like that the last time I walked through there, like two weeks ago. It’s not going anywhere until I fix it or we at least diagnose it. I was also thinking more about it and agree w/you, too much fluid probably for the front seal.

Back