Any reason NOT to go with Aisin TKT024 vs OEM Toyota?

Has anyone ever had any issues using Aisin timing kits and not using OEM Toyota timing parts? This would be for my 2000 Camry V6 (1MZ-FE). I’ve purchased everything OEM up to this point and don’t mind piecing parts together over time, but I like the convenience of the “all-in-one” Aisin kit plus the cost savings to boot.

Secondly, I know that the Aisin kit contains a Mitsuboshi belt, NTN and Koyo pulleys, and Aisin WP. I’ve learned through my 5 month ownership of a Toyota that just because a part’s manufacturer brand is an OEM supplier doesn’t necessarily mean that that same supplier making a part under their name, spec’s it like how Toyota requests them to do i.e. KYB struts vs OEM Toyota struts made by KYB.

Has anyone encountered any issues like that with Aisin timing kit parts? And for those of you who’ve used Aisin timing kits, do they last and perform just as good if not the same as OEM?

Thank you all as always.

IMG_6238.jpeg

Has anyone ever had any issues using Aisin timing kits and not using OEM Toyota timing parts? This would be for my 2000 Camry V6 (1MZ-FE). I’ve purchased everything OEM up to this point and don’t mind piecing parts together over time, but I like the convenience of the “all-in-one” Aisin kit plus the cost savings to boot.

Secondly, I know that the Aisin kit contains a Mitsuboshi belt, NTN and Koyo pulleys, and Aisin WP. I’ve learned through my 5 month ownership of a Toyota that just because a part’s manufacturer brand is an OEM supplier doesn’t necessarily mean that that same supplier making a part under their name, spec’s it like how Toyota requests them to do i.e. KYB struts vs OEM Toyota struts made by KYB.

Has anyone encountered any issues like that with Aisin timing kit parts? And for those of you who’ve used Aisin timing kits, do they last and perform just as good if not the same as OEM?

Thank you all as always.

View attachment 215087
I have had experience with Toyota Strust vs KYB, on my Toyota Celica, they both failed around the same mileage, in fact I got 5k more from the KYB, so I don't see the whole OEM supplier is not as good as OEM Toyota parts.

I buy Denso, and Aisin whenever I can, unless you have evidence, I have never had a failure...

I have had experience with Toyota Strust vs KYB, on my Toyota Celica, they both failed around the same mileage, in fact I got 5k more from the KYB, so I don't see the whole OEM supplier is not as good as OEM Toyota parts.

I buy Denso, and Aisin whenever I can, unless you have evidence, I have never had a failure...
How long ago did you buy your Toyota struts? The supplier for Toyota on my car are KYB for the rear and Sachs for the fronts..

As long as it's name brand, how bad can it be?

I did buy TBK to do my timing belt on my last car. Then again, it was non-interference, so I had little to lose... Name brand parts, just packaged up by TBK.

How long ago did you buy your Toyota struts? The supplier for Toyota on my car are KYB for the rear and Sachs for the fronts..
2014 the Toyota dealership installed it for me, it has lifetime parts and labor warranty...

but it was a waste of time getting Toyota to warranty it, and I just replaced it with some KYBs myself, and the issue was resolved...

Aisin has been my goto for Subaru, Toyota, Hyundai (older elantras) and never any problems. A few here have reported water pump issues if I recall, but those are still very rare occurrences. Early in my hobby with Subaru I was using Gates but I never will since they cheapened on their water pumps and rollers.

As long as it's name brand, how bad can it be?

I did buy TBK to do my timing belt on my last car. Then again, it was non-interference, so I had little to lose... Name brand parts, just packaged up by TBK.
That was a huge factor for me when buying a Japanese car. The 1MZ being non-interference helped me choose that over a manual Accord from the same generation.

Aisin has been my goto for Subaru, Toyota, Hyundai (older elantras) and never any problems. A few here have reported water pump issues if I recall, but those are still very rare occurrences. Early in my hobby with Subaru I was using Gates but I never will since they cheapened on their water pumps and rollers.
Glad to hear more and more people liking the Aisin kits

I installed Aisin kits in every J series Honda engine I touched, and never had an issue. In fact, I used Aisin for just about everything, if it was available for the application.

Thank you all as always.

View attachment 215087
My Aisin timing kit for our Honda crapped out in 15k kms.....
The new water pump started leaking.

The Mitsuboshi belt in the kit isn't exactly like the OE belt from the Toyota dealer, but it is still high quality. There is nothing wrong with using the Aisin kit :)

Also, your 1MZ is non-interference, so you don't have to worry about that :sneaky:

Get the Mahle valve cover gaskets and, if you can find them, Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion spark plugs, part #4501 or 4503. They are different by one heat range, but either will work. Get the NGK wires.

Yeah, the Bosch plugs seem like a gimmick, but they are THE BEST plugs to use on a 1MZ if you don't want to do this job all the time! They are the ONLY multi-prong iridium made for wasted spark engines! OE is a 2-prong platinum for 60k, so a 4-prong iridium is a big upgrade and should last at least 100k!

The Mitsuboshi belt in the kit isn't exactly like the OE belt from the Toyota dealer, but it is still high quality. There is nothing wrong with using the Aisin kit :)

Also, your 1MZ is non-interference, so you don't have to worry about that :sneaky:

Get the Mahle valve cover gaskets and, if you can find them, Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion spark plugs, part #4501 or 4503. They are different by one heat range, but either will work. Get the NGK wires.

Yeah, the Bosch plugs seem like a gimmick, but they are THE BEST plugs to use on a 1MZ if you don't want to do this job all the time! They are the ONLY multi-prong iridium made for wasted spark engines! OE is a 2-prong platinum for 60k, so a 4-prong iridium is a big upgrade and should last at least 100k!
Thanks a lot slacktide! Luckily I already changed out the valve cover gaskets and plugs with OEM Toyota back in January of this year, but next time around I’ll try out the Bosch plugs as you recommended. Hoping whenever I have to tackle this the car goes easy on me 🤣

Last edited:
Thanks a lot slacktide! Luckily I already changed out the valve cover gaskets and plugs with OEM Toyota back in January of this year, not next time around I’ll try out the Bosch plugs as you recommended. Hoping whenever I have to tackle this the car goes easy on me 🤣

Bosch stopped making the Ir Fusion plugs awhile ago, so they're not that easy to find even if you want to use them :sneaky:

Glad you did the valve cover gaskets already :)

Back