Any reason Honda would deny warranty coverage on this 2019 Civic R transmission?

I don't know if these cars have a flash counter but the dealer should be able to find out.
Looks like Honda has Service Diagnostic Recorders.

Service Diagnostic Recorders

This vehicle is equipped with service-related devices that record information about powertrain performance. The data can be used to verify emissions law requirements and/or help technicians diagnose and solve service problems. It may also be combined with data from other sources for research purposes, but it remains confidential. Some diagnostic and maintenance information is uploaded to Honda upon vehicle start up.

I guess it can store data like when the engine exceeds red line or maybe misses a shift? Wonder if there is a way for owners to access what is stored and how long its stored. I think VW has a similar system because so many people were blowing engines.

Make an appointment with service and we'll take a look at it. No dealer will give an over the phone diagnosis.
Good point. I would still call and ask "I'm considering buying this car but the trans is blown up, what do you think of my chances of warranty repair are?" At least you can feel around and see if the service advisor will say anything eluding to "oh yeah we get these a lot because kids blow them up" or "there's a TSB for that".

The information can prep you for how you will handle the service appointment, because you will have only 1 chance to squeeze this warranty repair in convincingly since the advisors documentation will make or break any future transmission repair consideration.

Could also be that the previous owner attempted a warranty repair and was denied, this information can be helpful.

Wonder if there is a way for owners to access what is stored and how long its stored. I think VW has a similar system because so many people were blowing engines.

The website won't provide service diagnostic data but you can get some limited information about service history. Register your VIN and see what comes up.

All depends on the specific Honda dealer IMO.

It's their word and presentation to Honda corporate that moves the process along of getting it covered or not.

Looks like Honda has Service Diagnostic Recorders.

Service Diagnostic Recorders

This vehicle is equipped with service-related devices that record information about powertrain performance. The data can be used to verify emissions law requirements and/or help technicians diagnose and solve service problems. It may also be combined with data from other sources for research purposes, but it remains confidential. Some diagnostic and maintenance information is uploaded to Honda upon vehicle start up.

I guess it can store data like when the engine exceeds red line or maybe misses a shift? Wonder if there is a way for owners to access what is stored and how long its stored. I think VW has a similar system because so many people were blowing engines.

From what I could find, general service at the dealership won't find out if the ECU has been flashed but any work requiring higher approval will find out that the ECU has been flashed.

Overall this makes sense to me since other popular tuner cars have the same thing so folks don't flash their modified cars back to stock before taking it in for warranty repairs. There's also other nifty ways the dealer can find out if it's been modified like looking at the bolts and clamps of popular replaced parts like the intake and exhausts; that's how mitsu was able to tell if any Evo was taken in for warranty repair. The ECU would also save any over-rev conditions and that would also immediately null the warranty; the over rev code could only be removed via a MUT3 scanner.

Last edited:
Honda synchros still garbage? Tried to buy a used S2000 and second and third dogs were toast.
Well same thing with used BMW (Bee-Em-Vee - not double you!) Coupe; only the M were good.

Gotta keep up with fresh trans lube when they show signs of getting balky otw it will be toasted fast,

It is a Type R, supposed to be driven hard. Should be covered.

What is the trans fluid renew requirement in the O.M.? 12k 24K 60K?

I did my hondas yearly with the proper juice.
If no record of trans service that may be a sticking point.
Also going in cold to a dealer who is not familiar with you is taking a chance.

My snotty local honda dealer, to whom I tossed a few good service bones, would not even fix my molded in armrest on a 2 year old Fit sport.

They said I put too much weight on it! No, it was just a poorly injection molded doorcard with too much re-grind plastic and filler and fabric glued over it. Cheap.

Try some AC Delco Friction Modified mtf in it to see if it helps; or ask the dealer service department if there's a tsb to use that for the 2nd gear grind.
Not the first time Honda has gone this route. First time was with the 05-07 Accord V6 manuals (and Acura TL). You can read more about it on the Accord forum, www.driveaccord.net. Some Honda techs are over there also who may help.

Good point. I would still call and ask "I'm considering buying this car but the trans is blown up, what do you think of my chances of warranty repair are?"
Good idea.
Could also be that the previous owner attempted a warranty repair and was denied, this information can be helpful.
I do have a service invoice from a Honda dealer where the customer states problems with 2nd gear. But that was 2 years and 14,000 miles ago. Tech says it needs a clutch for $2700 and a transmission for $13,200. There was no charge on the invoice.

Clutches are wear items like brake pads. That's why there is no warranty on them. A clutch wearing out at 44,000 miles on a high performance car isn't unusual nor indicative of abuse. And how would they even know it was replaced?
Yes they're waer items but there's still a point where an automaker can claim excessive wear/abuse. I don't know what that is with Honda. BMW clutches don't die at 44k miles. I'm just shotgunning potential reasons for denying a claim over a known issue.

Good idea.

I do have a service invoice from a Honda dealer where the customer states problems with 2nd gear. But that was 2 years and 14,000 miles ago. Tech says it needs a clutch for $2700 and a transmission for $13,200. There was no charge on the invoice.
That’s your answer. If another dealer was unwilling to warranty the transmission 2 years ago, they definitely won’t warranty it now. That info will be in their centralized system. Though, it’s pretty slow right now, so…

Well, I obviously wouldn't take it to that same dealer. Unless there was a warranty repair, I'm not sure that info leaves that dealer. Will have to find out.

Gather up the Google reviews for the local dealers and go roll the dice. I wouldn’t mention the clutch work either unless they ask.

Back