Any other CX-9 owners here?

I took the CX-9 back to the Mazda service dept. today to have this leak checked out. They pulled the bottom cover off and the area that was covered in fluid last time was dry as a bone this time. The last time I had it in they put a dye in the motor oil, and then I drove it for about a week and half before they rechecked it. They have some type of a special light that makes the dye show up really when when it leaks out, but they said they didn't see anything. Before I bought the vehicle I had my personal mechanic check it out and he found motor oil on the engine. He said it could have come from a leak, or a sloppy oil change. It appears the oil on top of the engine, along with the oil we saw on the bottom of the transfer case was from a sloppy oil change. I'm guessing the previous owner took it to some Jiffy Lube kind of place to get the oil changed and the goober doing it spilled a bunch of oil on the engine in the process. I hate these places! The good news is there's nothing wrong with this vehicle!

That's a relief. If you can do your own changes, I'd recommend it. If you do go to a quick lube, Valvoline Instant oil change is pretty good.

That's a relief. If you can do your own changes, I'd recommend it. If you do go to a quick lube, Valvoline Instant oil change is pretty good.

I agree. The oil change is very easy on this vehicle. You just need to get some clearance underneath to get to the access panel.

Yes, I've always done my own oil changes on all my vehicles. This one was easy. I changed its oil shortly after I bought it. Drive it up on the ramps, remove access panel, spin off/on filter, and drain. Refill with 5 qts full syn and done. It's amazing how so many people can't/won't/ don't want to do this themselves...it's so simple, and this way I know it's done right. I did have one of the techs at the dealership ask me if the filter I installed (Wix) had a check valve in it. I told him I didn't know, but I do know it's listed as OEM compatible, so I'm guessing it has to meet the same specs as the OEM one, but do any of you how I could check to make sure?

That I don’t know. There was a lot of discussion early on in the SkyActiv era that one had to use the Mazda Roki filters because they were the only ones that met the psi requirements for the engines. That has been disproven and I do know the Wix and the M1 108A are suitable. But this is a different beast.

For peace of mind you could put a Roki on there and be done.The amount of oil lost would be minimal. Those filters are tiny. You might have to buy a quart just to top off a little.

That I don’t know. There was a lot of discussion early on in the SkyActiv era that one had to use the Mazda Roki filters because they were the only ones that met the psi requirements for the engines. That has been disproven and I do know the Wix and the M1 108A are suitable. But this is a different beast.

For peace of mind you could put a Roki on there and be done.The amount of oil lost would be minimal. Those filters are tiny. You might have to buy a quart just to top off a little.
Dealer is awesome, and they of course use the correct JDM filters. Just more annoying than I care to deal with to do it myself. Especially when I get free coffee while they lube the chassis, doors, etc.check water content of brake fluid, gauge tires, rotate tires, detail the car, etc. That's a whole afternoon for me, or 1.5 hours at the dealer while I browse their lot and speak with friends. YMMV drastically based on dealer.

I replaced the filter today with an OEM Mazda filter. Took 15 minutes and about 1/3 of a qt of oil. I don't wanna mess around whit this turbo, so I'm using good oil and the recommended filter...I plan on driving this vehicle for a long time!

I replaced the filter today with an OEM Mazda filter. Took 15 minutes and about 1/3 of a qt of oil. I don't wanna mess around whit this turbo, so I'm using good oil and the recommended filter...I plan on driving this vehicle for a long time!
I use mobil 1 5-30 EP. Its dexos 1, g2, and htO06 cert. Excellent for a Di turbo car. Change it every 5k miles, JDM filter.

I use mobil 1 5-30 EP. Its dexos 1, g2, and htO06 cert. Excellent for a Di turbo car. Change it every 5k miles, JDM filter.
That's exactly the oil I use. Not that expensive either when purchased in the 5 qt jug at Walmart...That's also the OCI my mechanic recommended for this vehicle...

Reactions: Ws6
I talked to the mechanic and he thinks the fluid we see on the transfer case is engine oil. The said the transfer case uses the same fluid as the tranny, which is blue. The fluid that's leaking out is a goldish color. He put a dye in the motor oil and I'm taking it back Tuesday, they are going to see if they can trace out the source of the leak. I have been keeping an eye on the oil level and haven't noticed it dropping yet, though it is a slow leak and I probably wouldn't be able to see a level change on the dipstick...

Just want to correct what you were told. The transmission uses a specific AT fluid. The transfer case and rear diff use a specific gear oil. The transfer case oil is not blue.

Just want to correct what you were told. The transmission uses a specific AT fluid. The transfer case and rear diff use a specific gear oil. The transfer case oil is not blue.
If you want to argue with the Mazda tech, be my guest. I would think it's his job to know what goes where on this vehicle...

@grampi, VQ is correct as far as I know. The SkyActiv transmission takes a specific blue colored fluid. The transfer case or ptu is something else all together. I think that tech misspoke.

I just checked my owners manual for my 2017 CX5. I believe everything is the same but double check for the CX9.

SkyActiv transmission - Mazda Genuine ATF-FZ

Transfer case oil - Mazda Longlife Hypoid Gear Oil SG1

Rear differential - Mazda Longlife Hypoid Gear Oil SG1

@grampi, VQ is correct as far as I know. The SkyActiv transmission takes a specific blue colored fluid. The transfer case or ptu is something else all together. I think that tech misspoke.
VQ and Pim are correct. My CX5 has the same engine and transmission your CX9 has.

Fun story. I took my Z06 to the dealership for an oil change. Their Z06 tech was out, but the owner assured me every tech was capable of changing the oil. I requested to watch. The first thing the tech tried to do was unscrew the oil cap on the valve cover. Literally did not even know where to PUT the engine oil in a Z06. Techs are good, but they are not infallible. I went to school for nearly half a decade to do what I do, and I literally hold people's lives in my hands. I have a decade of experience in my field and am very successful within it. When someone with no knowledge of my field, and a 6th grade education asks me to verify something---I STOP AND VERIFY IT. I can make errors. Everyone can. When you find someone who cannot, you've found a true idiot and a liar.

I just checked my owners manual for my 2017 CX5. I believe everything is the same but double check for the CX9.

SkyActiv transmission - Mazda Genuine ATF-FZ

Transfer case oil - Mazda Longlife Hypoid Gear Oil SG1

Rear differential - Mazda Longlife Hypoid Gear Oil SG1

Thank you.

VQ and Pim are correct. My CX5 has the same engine and transmission your CX9 has.

Fun story. I took my Z06 to the dealership for an oil change. Their Z06 tech was out, but the owner assured me every tech was capable of changing the oil. I requested to watch. The first thing the tech tried to do was unscrew the oil cap on the valve cover. Literally did not even know where to PUT the engine oil in a Z06. Techs are good, but they are not infallible. I went to school for nearly half a decade to do what I do, and I literally hold people's lives in my hands. I have a decade of experience in my field and am very successful within it. When someone with no knowledge of my field, and a 6th grade education asks me to verify something---I STOP AND VERIFY IT. I can make errors. Everyone can. When you find someone who cannot, you've found a true idiot and a liar.

Thank you.

Okay, so VQ35DE is correct? I guess I don't understand his point. Does he want me to go back to the service center and tell the tech he's wrong? I don't really care what fluid goes where, as long as it isn't leaking...which it isn't...

No not at all. Just wanted to correct the incorrect info that was posted on this forum for the people that do care. That was the point.

Reactions: Ws6
Back