Any harm running Castrol edge 10/40 in diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well aware it had roller lifters...they quit turning...and the cam and lifters turned to junk. I took it apart...figured if the rollers weren't round anymore and the cam had grooves in it that, in my opinion, that was bad. Good Luck.

Originally Posted By: BlackBeard
As usual I stock up on auto zones end of year oil clearance and they only had this Castrol edge 10/40, I know it’s a great oil but will it harm anything in a diesel? One of my vehicles is a 7.3 powerstroke that I’d like to put the cheap oil in. I’m familiar with the detergent additives difference but this motor never turns oil black anyways.

Why would you use an inferior oil based on the requirements of your vehicle?
Makes no sense at all.

You can use SUPERIOR rated Supertech from Walmart for your vehicle and it cost $2.36 a quart, comes in 1 gallon container = $9.44

I don't understand but maybe I am missing something .. :eek:)

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
As usual I stock up on auto zones end of year oil clearance and they only had this Castrol edge 10/40, I know it’s a great oil but will it harm anything in a diesel? One of my vehicles is a 7.3 powerstroke that I’d like to put the cheap oil in. I’m familiar with the detergent additives difference but this motor never turns oil black anyways.

Makes no sense at all.

You can use SUPERIOR rated Supertech from Walmart for your vehicle and it cost $2.36 a quart, comes in 1 gallon container = $9.44

Can you explain what makes it inferior?

Originally Posted By: PiperOne
Well aware it had roller lifters...they quit turning...and the cam and lifters turned to junk. I took it apart...figured if the rollers weren't round anymore and the cam had grooves in it that, in my opinion, that was bad. Good Luck.

Then you had some other serious issues at play.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Both Mobil 1 and Shell Rotella have CJ-4 AND SN ratings. It's 2018 fellas. SN standard is pretty strict, last time I checked. I'm sure diesel spec oil may be formulated to handle Diesel engines a bit better but there's no way an engine will Grenade itself from running SN oil for half the recommended internal.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Makes no sense at all.

Can you explain what makes it inferior?

I think he means please use a HDEO oil that’s rated cj4 or CK4 or whatever the diesel spec is. SN ratings are for GAS engines, NOT DIESEL engines. Pretty easy to understand eh?

Pretty interesting; I don’t see a CJ4 or CK4 spec here
21.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
21.gif

This is exactly why I mentioned I don’t need readers replying. I can read the bottle like everyone else. I’m looking for educated responses only. The Mobil 1 turbodiesel carries an an certification as does the edge. Based on VOA and research I don’t find any harm. I’ve been a lurker on this forum for years and assumed I would receive intelligent and debate worthy responses. It’s dissapointing seeing so many closed minded users. The whole point of this forum is to educate ourselves outside of what label marketing sells us. So again if it’s not constructive please refrain from replying. I’m all for hearing why it won’t work but I have yet to see any actual intelligent reason why.

Originally Posted By: Artem
I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Both Mobil 1 and Shell Rotella have CJ-4 AND SN ratings. It's 2018 fellas. SN standard is pretty strict, last time I checked. I'm sure diesel spec oil may be formulated to handle Diesel engines a bit better but there's no way an engine will Grenade itself from running SN oil for half the recommended internal.

Thank you!

21.gif

This is exactly why I mentioned I don’t need readers replying. I can read the bottle like everyone else. I’m looking for educated responses only. The Mobil 1 turbodiesel carries an an certification as does the edge. Based on VOA and research I don’t find any harm. I’ve been a lurker on this forum for years and assumed I would receive intelligent and debate worthy responses. It’s dissapointing seeing so many closed minded users. The whole point of this forum is to educate ourselves outside of what label marketing sells us. So again if it’s not constructive please refrain from replying. I’m all for hearing why it won’t work but I have yet to see any actual intelligent reason why.

You have a diesel pickup truck. If the EDGE HM 10w40 HM said CK4 or CJ4 or had a Diesel engine spec like your pickup REQUIRES; it would be a different story.

I’ll let you choose to use the wrong oil in your truck. You already ignored the informed responses from mechanics here so go ahead

The Mobil 1 turbodiesel carries an an certification as does the edge. Based on VOA and research I don’t find any harm. I’ve been a lurker on this forum for years and assumed I would receive intelligent and debate worthy responses. It’s dissapointing seeing so many closed minded users. The whole point of this forum is to educate ourselves outside of what label marketing sells us. So again if it’s not constructive please refrain from replying. I’m all for hearing why it won’t work but I have yet to see any actual intelligent reason why.

The Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel also carries the requisite Diesel approvals. That fact that it also passes SN (which Mobil can self-certify for) is entirely meaningless to this discussion, as SN has no bearing on whether the product is appropriate for your application.

An oil formulated for diesel use will have appropriate levels of dispersants and detergents to deal specifically with soot, something a gasoline oil will not have, because soot is not an issue in a gasoline engine. In contrast, these additional dispersants and detergents when a diesel lube is used in a gasoline engine, despite being unnecessary and without benefit, don't cause any issues and there is nothing "missing" in these oils that a gasoline engine might benefit from.

Using this oil in your application is not ideal. However, as another poster pointed out, it at least carries the ACEA rating that means it may have low levels of diesel-specific additives for that purpose. I don't personally think you are going to have an issue using it, but it isn't an experiment I'd care to replicate by choice.

If it's A3/B4, it won't be an issue with a 7.3 of your vintage. After all, that's the base spec for a whack of European diesel engines on North American roads, at least before the C sequences became more relevant and DPF and the like took over.

It would be fine, but in the grand scheme of things, there are much more cost effective options over the long term. Now, this is a clearance special, so if you got some, use it up. I wouldn't seek it on a regular basis, though. There are more suitable options.

If you're looking for something you can see in a VOA to determine an oil specification, you're not going to find it. And, as Overkill points out, SN tells you absolutely nothing about suitability for a diesel engine. The only thing of any use here, not just for this lube, but in a more general sense, would be the B4 part of A3/B4. If it said CF on the back, it might be something, too, but CF wasn't fantastic, and probably was the spec before or two before what your 7.3 calls for. The B4 is the only thing you have going for you.

21.gif

You have a diesel pickup truck. If the EDGE HM 10w40 HM said CK4 or CJ4 or had a Diesel engine spec like your pickup REQUIRES; it would be a different story.

I’ll let you choose to use the wrong oil in your truck. You already ignored the informed responses from mechanics here so go ahead

Again I haven’t seen any informed reccomendations against just flat out opinions. I truly appreciate the responders posting the specs thinking it’ll be ok. My 460k mike 7.3 is going to get this tomorrow for an oil change and if it blows up I’ll let you say I told you so. If it doesn’t I’d hope you would be more perceptive to ideas then such a close mind.

Also, stop calling the members that offered SOLID ADVICE to you “close minded” as you are being mean and offensive

Interesting how when someone doesn't get a plateful of the answers they want they turn to disparaging and personal comments.

I remember when you posted this a while back:

I've been an oil fanatic for some time now but I can't get one theory though my head. I'm sure someone here can explain it in simple terms for me. I'll get to the point:

5w-20 oil is very thin. Almost a consistency of water

10-49 oil is very thick compared to 5w-20. So in my mind the number 20 stands for a thinner index than the number 40w,
Here is where I get confused. When the oil is cold it's rated as a 10, when hot it's rated at a 40 weight. But in real world when you have that cold oil it's much much thicker than when it's hot. So how does the number system work because it doesn't make sense to me. And go ahead and get technical I've been a mechanic and engineer most my life this is just one theory that has me stumped. I like to visualize answers in my mind and I can't get over the fact that a 29 weight oil is so thin and a 40 weight so heavy yet when Cold that 10-40 is no where near 5-20 consistency even though it's cold rated at a. 10 weight

So you are saying you've progressed from that entirely clueless post to now being able to discern through a VOA and "research" whether an oil is an effective substitute for a properly rated and certificated oil?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Interesting how when someone doesn't get a plateful of the answers they want they turn to disparaging and personal comments.

I remember when you posted this a while back:

I've been an oil fanatic for some time now but I can't get one theory though my head. I'm sure someone here can explain it in simple terms for me. I'll get to the point:

5w-20 oil is very thin. Almost a consistency of water

10-49 oil is very thick compared to 5w-20. So in my mind the number 20 stands for a thinner index than the number 40w,
Here is where I get confused. When the oil is cold it's rated as a 10, when hot it's rated at a 40 weight. But in real world when you have that cold oil it's much much thicker than when it's hot. So how does the number system work because it doesn't make sense to me. And go ahead and get technical I've been a mechanic and engineer most my life this is just one theory that has me stumped. I like to visualize answers in my mind and I can't get over the fact that a 29 weight oil is so thin and a 40 weight so heavy yet when Cold that 10-40 is no where near 5-20 consistency even though it's cold rated at a. 10 weight

So you are saying you've progressed from that entirely clueless post to now being able to discern through a VOA and "research" whether an oil is an effective substitute for a properly rated and certificated oil?

You remember when i posted that or looked through my contacts and dig up an old post? Either way I have no shame. Everyone starts somewhere and since I joined this site I’ve learned a lot on oils and owning a fleet of vehicles and putting that knowledge to the test is what really helps. Either way if you expect everyone to come on here as an expert you’ll always be disappointed. And I’m not belittling anyone comments it’s quite the opposite. I’m frustrated that people don’t take the time to read what they’re replying to and just post facts from a label. I simply asked for anyone more knowledgeable in the certifications and cross checking them. I got my answer and the a3/b3 cert it carries holds well enough for European Diesel engines even common rail designs so I am content with going ahead and running it. If you can explain to me why an oil will work in a car diesel and not a light truck I’m all ears

Also, stop calling the members that offered SOLID ADVICE to you “close minded” as you are being mean and offensive

I didn’t see any solid advice. Not one negative statement has been backed with anything other than opinion

Here I’ll post this straight from the certifications site. Maybe this will help you guys out as it’s a ACEA a3/b3 oil. All I’m asking is anyone opposing this please provide a valid reason. It’s not hard. I wouldn’t suggest against anything if I wasn’t factually informed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back