Any good oil thickener

@Redland1 you have asked similar questions in other threads before.

I can appreciate oil and additives are cheaper than a rebuild, but that said oil and additives only delays the inevitable. You might want to consider addressing the root cause of your problem if at all possible.

Just my $0.02

Here's my thought on using lucas products. If they were really bad for your engine, the company would have been sued out of existence a long time ago. People that say, my friend, brother, cousin, father ,uncle, used lucas in their engine and the engine blew. Well it was probably gonna blow anyway, and they were just putting their hope into something to extend it's life for a while. If wanting to use a oil thickener to slow down consumption is the goal of the op, it might do that if there isn't too much wear or damage. I have found using a thicker grade oil, to have slowed down the consumption in my wifes car. It didn't stop it completely, but helped. I can't ask for more than that, or expect more than that from anything in a can.,,,

Lucas Oil Stabilizer is a low cost and low quality viscosity improver, sold at huge markup. When you replace 10% to 20% or more of your motor oil with Lucas, you have that much less anti wear additives, less detergents and dispsants, and so on. Just cutting down ZDDP, friction reducers, and detergents & dispersants, is good enough to effectively destroy the bearings inside a turbo in a diesel engine. After that, the piston rings will wear out, because Lucas is a magnet for dirt, and also likes to create deposits. The rings will have so much wear that when remove them, you can use them for shawing. The rod and main bearings in a big Diesel engine will go last, because these bearings are so big. You probably will have to rebuild your engine before they let go, because of the increased blowby and decreased power, and probably because you're tired of replacing turbos because... you keep using Lucas. Some folks never learn.

In a personal vehicle with a gas engine Lucas will do some serious damage. It prevents oil from getting where it needs to be, fast enough, by clogging up passage ways that are narrow, like those inside an oil-coolant heat exchanger for example. That's why Lucas came out with a thinner version of their crud and dubbed it "Synthetic", whatever that means ... for what it really is.

But hey, if you, or anyone else wants to use Lucas, or keep using it, by all means. It's not my problem, and I won't suffer the consequences of such a bad decision, you will.
Still waiting for proof.

Would STP be considered a thickener?
1705772233457.jpg

@Redland1 you have asked similar questions in other threads before.

I can appreciate oil and additives are cheaper than a rebuild, but that said oil and additives only delays the inevitable. You might want to consider addressing the root cause of your problem if at all possible.

Just my $0.02
Cummins ISX15 - Wasn't that the motor that Valvoline created the Premium Blue Restore for with warranty issues?

Maybe start with that and then go to something like HPL version that fits to keep cleaning while lubricating correctly.

Mrs. Butterworth.....It gives a nice sweet smell from the exhaust....that will make you hungry for pancakes... :)

2004 ISX15 cm870.530HP,and about 700k miles.
Original miles, or since it was rebuilt the last time?

You don't need an oil thickener for that engine, unless you want to destroy it.

If you're running it at higher temperatures than normal, then go up to a 15W-50. Otherwise, just run a good 15W-40.

You will do more good by installing a Spinner filter than by messing with useless additives. That Spinner filter will actually remove soot and other crud from the oil.

If you experience an oil pressure drop that is consistent, it means that you have a mechanical problem that has to be addressed. Using thicker oil isn't the solution.

Something as small as a camshaft bearing that is out of spec can drop your oil pressure by 10 PSI. Consistent wear and tear over time will also drop your oil pressure, bit by bit, over time.

No matter what you do, and depending how you use and maintain that engine, at some point it will require a rebuild. You could go as fat as 1.5 million miles, but it will still need to be rebuild. The blowby alone will become a bigger problem than oil pressure. Of course, other stuff will fail until then, like fuel injectors, turbo, etc.

Last edited:
Back