CRV VTC actuator issue

2012 CRV with the Never ending VCT actuator issue. I have read that if I thickened the oil from the 0w-20 it might stick to the actuator and not have that nasty grinding noise on a cold start. I saw a suggestion for the liqui Molly 22606... Any thoughts on dumping a bottle of that in there and seeing what happens. I've already changed that **** VCT actuator three times it isn't cheap. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Good luck. I quit worrying about it.
Traded it in on a gas guzzling all American Chevrolet Silverado. 👍
Had 140k and ran like new besides the cold rattle……

I have always run 30 weight in my honda's even though they started calling for 20 weight. I am assuming you are using full synthetic?
Thanks for replying...I have stuck (no pun intended) with the 0W20 full synthetic Honda recommends at the moment but after reading how a thicker viscosity may "stick" to the VTC, that may mitigate the grind?

I tried every weight oil. from thin to think. That dont work. There is a TSB on it. It MIGHT be under the 150000 mile TSB. if not replace the VCT actuator

I tried every weight oil. from thin to think. That dont work. There is a TSB on it. It MIGHT be under the 150000 mile TSB. if not replace the VCT actuator
TSB 09-010...They are claiming by VIN I am not included///What a shocker.

2012 CRV with the Never ending VCT actuator issue. I have read that if I thickened the oil from the 0w-20 it might stick to the actuator and not have that nasty grinding noise on a cold start. I saw a suggestion for the liqui Molly 22606... Any thoughts on dumping a bottle of that in there and seeing what happens. I've already changed that **** VCT actuator three times it isn't cheap. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
My 2012 accord ran M1 0/40 from day 30 changed every 5-7k miles. Never an issue ever. Never even did a valve adjustment. Sold the car at 280k and had the original clutch.

There are YouTube videos about how to fix this problem. About the only thing you really need is a new gasket and the Torx bit, note that torx bits come in 5 and 6 point. So you have to make surue you get the right one. He mentions which one to use in the video. There is an African-American gentleman who shows how to disassemble the actuator and remove the spring, stretch it a little bit and put it back together and the problem is solved. Look for that YouTube video. One of the things he emphasizes is to put Rags down before disassembling the actuator so that if a part drops you do not have it drop down into the engine. It looks like a job that wouldn't take more than a couple hours maximum even if you took your time and you really don't have to buy a new actuator.

There are YouTube videos about how to fix this problem. About the only thing you really need is a new gasket and the Torx bit, note that torx bits come in 5 and 6 point. So you have to make surue you get the right one. He mentions which one to use in the video. There is an African-American gentleman who shows how to disassemble the actuator and remove the spring, stretch it a little bit and put it back together and the problem is solved. Look for that YouTube video. One of the things he emphasizes is to put Rags down before disassembling the actuator so that if a part drops you do not have it drop down into the engine. It looks like a job that wouldn't take more than a couple hours maximum even if you took your time and you really don't have to buy a new actuator.
Wish I had known this when I had mine. I didn’t trade it off for that reason but it sure BUGGED me…….

The 2015 and 2016 are more likely to have the timing chain tensioner be the thing that's causing the problem and not the variable cam system. There are YouTube videos about how to replace the timing chain tensioner also. And, there is a Improvement to be made on that tensioner by indexing the teeth one tooth so they press harder against the timing chain. I have a 2016 and I've only heard the startup rattle once. If I hear it quite a few more times frequently then I will either do the timing chain tensioner myself or get somebody to do it, but I may also include the Improvement by indexing the gear teeth one notch more towards pushing on the timing chain.

Back