Any downside to using a larger filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filter fits and has the same bypass pressure as your regular filter but is much longer.

Plusses would be more holding volume. Lower flow rates through the media should allow more to be trapped. Extra oil capacity for better cooling.

Any downsides?

It will lower oil pressure. Unless you are using a filter that is many multiples larger than the standard one, it'll be a marginal drop.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
Filter fits and has the same bypass pressure as your regular filter but is much longer.

Plusses would be more holding volume. Lower flow rates through the media should allow more to be trapped. Extra oil capacity for better cooling.

Any downsides?

What vehicle ?
Some filters do not have bypass valves, such as filters for 6.7 Cummins.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Yeah, on a large bump it will hit your lower control arm and get punctured.

Only if you're me, though.

Hate to laugh, but DANG. Bet that's a good story lol

The primary downside is that in the very unlikely event of a filter failure causing engine damage, the manufacturer will deny any warranty because you've used a filter not listed in their application guide for the engine.
A better question might be what's the upside?
There is almost nothing to filter out of the oil in any healthy engine after break-in in sizes that a full flow filter is capable of catching.
The teacups specified for most newer engines are there only because experience has demonstrated that nothing more is needed.
Having written this, I've gone way off the reservation from time to time and used much larger than spec oil filters, but the only reason to do so is if you find a larger filter that will fit that's too cheap to pass up, assuming that your application has room for it.

Very good point fdcg27. The tiny 51358 Wix almost $4 more than the 57356. And the Carquest Premium oil filter is $4 more for the smaller one vs the larger one.

Originally Posted By: dparm
It will lower oil pressure. Unless you are using a filter that is many multiples larger than the standard one, it'll be a marginal drop.
How does a larger filter lower oil pressure?

Originally Posted By: CT8

It doesn't.

If one compares a system with no oil filter, then the same one with a large filter, it's pretty clear what a larger filter will do to system pressure.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: CT8

It doesn't.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
If one compares a system with no oil filter, then the same one with a large filter, it's pretty clear what a larger filter will do to system pressure.

Only time a filter will effect what you see on the oil pressure gauge is if the pressure sensor is located before the filter. Every vehicle I've seen has the pressure sensor after the filter, so the pressure reading is just showing the engine's resistance to flow.

Only time a filter would effect the pressure reading when located after the sensor is when the positive displacement oil pump hits pressure relief. A more restrictive filter will result in lower engine oil pressure when the pump hits pressure relief. But any time the pump is not in relief you won't see an difference in engine oil pressure.

That looks nice!
smile.gif
two at once does that lower or raise your oil pressure?

Last edited:
I don't understand why anyone would want one. Change your oil regually with quality oil and a quality filter. You will never have any issues of that filter catching so much dirty you need more filtering media.

Cut open a few filters and you will understand. Modern engines run so clean.

Originally Posted By: BigJakeChevy
Never have any issue with my setup.

That is a beautiful engine bay. How many miles on your truck? If I didn't have such a huge oil stash I would try to run something like that on my vehicles too.

The downside is that the filter may not flow as well as an oem filter. Go with the flow....use the oem. .02.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back