Any difference between AC Delco and Supertech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most ST filters I've seen are good quality for basic oil changes. Basic grade AC delco is about the same quality.

Nothing wrong with ACDelco filters - I have one on my 95 Silverado at the moment. I wouldn't hesitate to use any ACDelco filter on any GM product for the factory recommended OCI.

I'll probably use a Royal Purple or AMSOIL filter in the future, though.

Last edited:
Since this is for an older GM vehicle with block bypass, the ST and ACDelco PF47e construction would be very similar, same. As compared to the PF47 "classic" metal endcap, obviously different.

If this was for a newer GM which now spec a filter bypass, the ACDelco and ST equivalent would be different. GM has said no combo valve in their ACDelco oem ecores, they use standard poppet type dome bypass. The ST equivalent use a nitrile combo valve.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Most ST filters I've seen are good quality for basic oil changes. Basic grade AC delco is about the same quality.

+1

Originally Posted by Corollaman
2011 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6 filter construction looks exactly the same. E-core plastic inside.

They are the same filter. This was confirmed by Motorking a while back, I think.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
GM has said no combo valve in their ACDelco oem ecores, they use standard poppet type dome bypass.

They must not be very confident in the combo valve operation.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
GM has said no combo valve in their ACDelco oem ecores, they use standard poppet type dome bypass.

Pure speculation, the eCore with combo valve uses the leaf spring and area of the bypass holes to set the bypass setting. Most of the eCore with combo valve are set at 12 PSI. When GM wanted to increase the bypass settings for selected engines they could not do it with a combo valve. Therefore, they chose to use a dome end relief valve. It uses a separate spring.

I am sure the bypass setting with the independent valve would be more consistent.

Last edited:
^^^ Yeah, probably no combo valve because of the 22 psi bypass requirement. And yes, I'd say a combo vavle's consistency would be in question, especially at very cold temperatures when you really need a bypass valve to operate correctly.

That would be my take. This much certain, unlike the separate poppet type bypass used now in the for GM ACDelco, a combo valve is the cheapest design available and thus only seen on lower/lowest tier of filters. Also true, when GM spec'd ecores before like the OP's anecdote, because of block bypass no combo valve. So for GM at least, a combo valve is a no go in their ACDelcos for GM. And even now stipulated, a separate poppet type bypass more "consistent" and thus more reliable and accurate for bypass psi by design.

As mentioned many times this subforum, a nitrile adbv can and does lose pliability over time and with temperture change. When bypass function is part of that, much more critical than just controlling some oil drain back.

Back to topic, as noted in the OP's case the ST and ACDelco construction are the same. Would not be the case for newer GM vehicles where ACD has a separate poppet type bypass, ST equivalent would use the cheaper combo valve.

The Champ brand gm spec ecore filter I cut open had a dome end bypass so my guess is it has to do with the speced pressure. That makes sense with the typical lower tier filters consolidation of numbers that are close enough.

The ops application doesn't use a bypass in the filter anyways so it is a moot point.

Last edited:
….The Champ brand gm spec ecore filter I cut open had a dome end bypass.....
I've never seen a "Champ brand" ie., Champ labeled ecore with separate dome bypass. Be interested in seeing that filter or a link to the specific Champ filter application. Only ecore filter anecdotes/pics with separate poppet dome bypass posted or seen here have been for GM, ACDelco labeled filters. Those are made by Champ to GM ACDelco specs.

One example of the difference between ST and ACDelco for newer GM is current Super Tech ST10060 vs the ACDelco PF48E. Both have same can and element size, difference ST uses a combo valve, ACDelco has the aforementioned poppet type dome bypass. The same true of other Champ made aftermarket filters like the Service Champ equivalent OF222, also using a combo valve.

And while the point of the difference may not be specifically relevant to the OP's application, important IMO to point out that such is not the case across all GM vehicle applications like newer model GM.

….The Champ brand gm spec ecore filter I cut open had a dome end bypass.....
I've never seen a "Champ brand" ie., Champ labeled ecore with separate dome bypass. Be interested in seeing that filter or a link to the specific Champ filter application. Only ecore filter anecdotes/pics with separate poppet dome bypass posted or seen here have been for GM, ACDelco labeled filters. Those are made by Champ to GM ACDelco specs.

One example of the difference between ST and ACDelco for newer GM is current Super Tech ST10060 vs the ACDelco PF48E. Both have same can and element size, difference ST uses a combo valve, ACDelco has the aforementioned poppet type dome bypass. The same true of other Champ made aftermarket filters like the Service Champ equivalent OF222, also using a combo valve.

And while the point of the difference may not be specifically relevant to the OP's application, important IMO to point out that such is not the case across all GM vehicle applications like newer model GM.

I am fairly sure that mine had a dome end bypass. It was a PH48. The pic I found of one on the internet shows a combo valve but I am fairly sure I have never had a combo valve filter till the lubeguard ecore I put on my garden tractor this winter. I don't have any pictures of the filter I cut though. I know I cut it and it looked better that some PF48Es I have had. I could be completely wrong and talking out of my butt though.

Few years ago member CapitalTruck posted a side by side comparo of the aforementioned Champ PH48 with the ACDelco48E, difference in bypass design as noted.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3606623/Side_by_Side:_CHAMP_PF48_vs_AC

So afaik, if or when a non ACDelco 'standard' ecore with separate dome bypass posted, it will be the first. I qualify with the word 'standard' because ST very recently introduced a 'hybrid', ecore cage with metal endcaps and separate bypass. That takes the place of it previous classic all metal ST9688. However, that not topic ecore comparison in discussion.

^^^ Yeah, probably no combo valve because of the 22 psi bypass requirement. And yes, I'd say a combo vavle's consistency would be in question, especially at very cold temperatures when you really need a bypass valve to operate correctly.

Factory PF63 and PF63E (and a new E next to XG10575)

1083A4CF-901E-463A-A58E-9A7BE2C5ACC1.jpeg

08ADC381-EE6B-455E-996B-215BF8A2A9A3.jpeg

7F152C8A-BE33-40FE-95FB-F6780E373622.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back