Side by Side: CHAMP PF48 vs ACDelco PF48

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I wanted to see what the differences were between the garden variety CHAMP PH48 filter and the GM spec'd ACDelco PF48. Both of these filters are indicated for GM LS engines, my 4.8 Silverado engine included.

IMG_20150120_173559_419_zpsa32bb4a6.jpg

IMG_20150120_174813_583_zps4319a5dd.jpg

IMG_20150120_175311_966_zps9bbff50d.jpg

Below is a side by side. Notice the traditional button bypass valve (with metal spring) on the ACDelco. The CHAMP has a Bypass/ADBV "combo valve"
IMG_20150120_175749_001_zpsbdc8e340.jpg

Again, the major difference.
IMG_20150120_175851_370_zps42eba070.jpg

The seals and baseplates are EXACTLY the same except for one feature (see next photo).
IMG_20150120_175806_663_zpscb4fb452.jpg

What makes the CHAMP filter have a "functional" combo valve? The CHAMP (top plate) has an additional circle of holes on the baseplate in close proximity to the threaded outlet.
IMG_20150120_175837_580_zps5c3fb63e.jpg

My thinking is that if the element gets clogged, the oil to be forced exclusively through the inner holes where it is looped around (via a little carved out section of the rubber (not visible) and discharged through the threaded stem. This is the best explanation I can come up with. It also indicates that even when in normal operation some oil is probably always "bypassed" through the inner holes.

Closeup of the media and plastic cages. The media and cage were absolutely identical in both products. This judgment on the similarity of the media is based only upon feel and light transmission through the media. However, I have great confidence that they're the same. The media was extremely well secured in the fibrous end caps. I have no doubt in the integrity of the media in that respect.
IMG_20150120_175925_020_zps0a56da48.jpg

The only real concern I have is the relatively large spacing of the pleats that they both exhibit on the media joints. This seemed particularly apparent on the ACDelco. However, it wasn't egregious and it is relatively consistent between the two filters. I think they would survive a normal drain interval.
IMG_20150120_180049_629_zps88077262.jpg

I may run the PF48E on my Silverado when I use the last of my regular PF48s (one). However, I might use a Mobil 1 instead. I have a couple of UPF48R's on order, I'm going to compare that filter and the Mobil 1. I have heard they are both the same. Time will tell. I will say though that I don't have a high degree of confidence in the setup of the CHAMP combo valve. I can see why GM would spec the cartridge-end button style. I think with a decent bypass valve there is a reduced chance of media blowout. Perhaps Filterking could advise on the operation/reliability of the combo valve. I'm not real keen on it.

Last edited:
Regardless of which filter(s) you ultimately fit, I hope they’ll lessen if not entirely eliminate the startup noise you’ve unfortunately experienced with its current PF63.

Kindly keep us updated.

On further examination, I have no idea how this combo bpv/adbv works. Is it possible that the thing just shuts off entirely and completely closes the inlet to the filter? So instead of a bypass valve the whole filter is shunted off?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
On further examination, I have no idea how this combo bpv/adbv works. Is it possible that the thing just shuts off entirely and completely closes the inlet to the filter? So instead of a bypass valve the whole filter is shunted off?

I don't trust combo valves. In this particular design, I think when the delta-p across the filter becomes great enough, the seal over the inner holes on the rubber combo valve piece starts to let oil flow past it and through the inner holes and out to the engine. The delta-p must force the rubber lip to lift some more and uncover the inner holes.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I don't trust combo valves. In this particular design, I think when the delta-p across the filter becomes great enough, the seal over the inner holes on the rubber combo valve piece starts to let oil flow past it and through the inner holes and out to the engine. The delta-p must force the rubber lip to lift some more and uncover the inner holes.

Yikes, I'm with you. I'm quite sure that's why GM demanded the button top valve.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Double ugly.

I don't think the ACDelco one is too bad. I felt pretty good about it to be honest. One area of weakness that I didn't think about at the time is the possibility of leakage between the spring and the media. I.e. oil might squeeze past the "seal" between where the spring and the media come together at a lower pressure point than it takes to open the bypass valve. This would also be a problem with the traditional Frams. Obviously this isn't a problem with any filter that has metal endcaps.

Of course, I just got a couple of the UPF-48R's in the mail. After looking at them the PF-48E looks positively primitive as heck.

Last edited:
One area of weakness that I didn't think about at the time is the possibility of leakage between the spring and the media. I.e. oil might squeeze past the "seal" between where the spring and the media come together at a lower pressure point than it takes to open the bypass valve. This would also be a problem with the traditional Frams. Obviously this isn't a problem with any filter that has metal endcaps.

You must be talking about the seal between the metal leaf spring and the end cap around the center tube. Typically, you will see an impression of where the seal is, due to the pressure of the leaf spring clamping all the guts of the filter together. IMO, there probably isn't any real leakage there ... look and see if you detect the seal impression in the fiber end cap or not.

Right you are. Additionally, in hindsight, all of these springs in these filters are under major pressure, hence low chance of leakage. One almost can't push the two pieces of a cut-open filter canister back together due to the resistance of the spring.

Yep, the two sets of baseplate holes indicate the PH48 uses a combo valve. But bottom line as I noted in the other threads on the topic, the new GM ecore does not use a combo valve. They use and promote the new "poppet" type bypass. Basically it's a version of Champ's/(Fram) typical coil spring wrapped nylon dome bypass with leaf retainer.

The only question one should ask in their mind is, if GM doesn't/won't use a combo valve for the new ecore, why should I?

And remember many/most older GM have a block bypass so that function is not left to a combo valve. No longer the case with newer GM, thus the choice now to go the dome "poppet" style bypass. I 'might' feel a bit better about using the Champ PH48 with a block bypass and basically have the nitrile valve function as an adbv.

But overall I'd still prefer the 'classic' metal construction with separate metal coil spring bypass, either thread or dome end. If Champ made, something like M1.

Don't like that cheap plastic bypass valve on the Delco and the lack of one on the Champ. I would throw both of them back.They are not keepers.

As follow up detail to my last post, here's a good link to pics of an ACDelco PF46E. Note this one has no combo valve because of GM block bypass. As I noted before, I'd be a bit more willing to use this ecore design in a GM with block bypass and just a nitrile adbv function for the filter.

http://wiki.hurstolds.org/AC_Delco_PF46E_19210283.html

But as also noted, still prefer the 'classic' Champ ACDelco metal design of the PF61 (also block bypass) in the linked pics. Even over the new ACD ecore with separate dome end bypass. Though the latter imo is a big improvement over the combo valve design.

http://wiki.hurstolds.org/AC_Delco_PF61_19256044.htm

Double ugly.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I'm not a fan of the ecores.

X2
39.gif
ecore

Originally Posted By: daman
Double ugly.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I'm not a fan of the ecores.

X2
39.gif
ecore

Those look like someone bred a hamster wheel with a roll of Charmin.

I have long disparaged E-cores as well. No likee.

I too have never figured out how Champ's version of a combo valve is supposed to work. And when I tried one out of curiosity I have a lot of problems with it (start up rattle) my "test" only lasted 6 days it was so bad. If the ADBV doesn't work why on earth would I trust their bypass too? Junk IMO I have no idea why they continue to produce them years later. One of the few filters that you really can blame ruined engines on.

Wix on the other hand has a combo valve that can be understood and seems to work very well too. I've run a bunch of 'em without issue.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Don't like that cheap plastic bypass valve on the Delco and the lack of one on the Champ. I would throw both of them back.They are not keepers.

Nothing wrong with the "plastic" (it's actually high temperature nylon) bypass valve. Never ever seen one report of this particular design failing. And I'm betting it seals better than a metal-on-metal style of bypass valve.

Thank you for the write up. I've ran two PF48E filters on my last two OCI's and have been pleased with the results and after inspection they've held up well on my Silverado 5.3. Will only be using them in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back