Any decent second tier tires for my car

Status
Not open for further replies.
You won't cure that issue with 40 series tires ...

60 and 65 series ride much better. There has to be some sidewall to allow flex
smile.gif

We just put Ohtsu FS0620 on the dodge, replacing Michelin hydroegde.

They don't have the best tread life, but I've driven them the past few days in some very heavy rain, and they haven't let go of the road at all. I've even cut the wheel hard over in a parking lot going 20, and the car flipped right around without issue.

I may put them on the buick to replace the falken sincera that are on there now, unless the Michelin defenders blow my mind.

Close to the size you were asking about, $83 a pop.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/ohtsu/product/submitProductSize.do?pc=31078&tmn=FP0612+A%2FS&typ=Passenger%2FPerformance

Originally Posted By: RichardS

They don't have the best tread life, but I've driven them the past few days in some very heavy rain, and they haven't let go of the road at all. I've even cut the wheel hard over in a parking lot going 20, and the car flipped right around without issue.

I may put them on the buick to replace the falken sincera that are on there now, unless the Michelin defenders blow my mind.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/ohtsu/product/submitProductSize.do?
pc=31078&tmn=FP0612+A%2FS&typ=Passenger%

I was wondering how good ohtsu tires were. I've seen decent reviews.

Originally Posted By: Seventh
I previously had some conti dws on my WRX in 17" size. Ride quality was garbage. Took them off in less than a thousand miles and sold them.

Replaced them with Dunlop direzza and the ride quality difference was night and day.

I was talking to one of my co-workers shortly thereafter, telling him about the drastic difference in ride quality. He's an extremely knowledgeable long time amateur race car driver. His immediate response was "because the Dunlops are probably heavier. Heavy tires ride smoother." Wat

Sure enough, I looked up the specs on the tire rack website and the dunlops are 5lbs heavier than the contis in that size, per tire.

Not at all saying that weight is the only factor, but I found it very interesting that he immediately called out the weight difference.

My experience is the opposite. I have gone from heavy Bridgestones to much lighter Continentals and/or Michelins more than once, and every time the ride quality got much better.

ram_man

Would you please be able to into detail as to the good points and bad points for the Uniroyal GTZ tires you had. I was thinking of getting a set (245/50-16) for my Trans Am the next year or so, but would look elsewhere if they have other problems plus the ride quality issues you mentioned.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Originally Posted By: RichardS

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/ohtsu/product/submitProductSize.do?
pc=31078&tmn=FP0612+A%2FS&typ=Passenger%

They weren't even on my list of option, Slacktide, if I remember, gave me a very solid lists of replacements for the Michelins.

But an unrepairable damage while out of town warranted a last minute decision on tires, limited to what was in stock.

The replacements have the same wet traction rating, and are one step up on temp, but are like 30% of the hydros for tread wear.

But for the stuff I've pushed them through in a wet, abandoned parking lot, and their relatively quiet ride, I'd buy them again in a second. But they're only 1,000 miles in, so my opinions could change as they age. I'll give it a year, and take the dodge again for a few days to see how they compare when they're worn in a little.

But for now, they're doing better than the falkens on the buick, and stick to the asphalt like gum. YMMV since you've not got a CVT to limit your ability to floor it and get any rev out of the engine.

Originally Posted By: xtell
ram_man

Would you please be able to into detail as to the good points and bad points for the Uniroyal GTZ tires you had. I was thinking of getting a set (245/50-16) for my Trans Am the next year or so, but would look elsewhere if they have other problems plus the ride quality issues you mentioned.

They wear like iron and gold the road great they aren't to loud. My huge complaint is ride quality they ride hard. And even small imperfections in the road induce steering wheel vibrations. If they rode softer I'd be happy.

No idea if it is still the case, but when I ran Falken tires on my 91 BMW, which I was generally very happy with, I recall that they were stamped Ohtsu. Meaning that Falken is or at least was an Ohtsu brand. And there's a lot more data on Falken tires than Ohtsu Id suspect. Granted it could be like the best Michelin vs the worst Uniroyal or BFG, not sure, but overall Id not be too concerned. Its not some oddball Chinese brand, IMO.

My huge complaint is ride quality they ride hard. And even small imperfections in the road induce steering wheel vibrations. If they rode softer I'd be happy.

The General RT43 gets good reviews on here. The only somewhat negatives are that some say they ride like mush, very soft, etc esp in the T speed rating. Which maybe what you're looking for. Not sure if they make it in the size you need though.

edit: I don't see the above available on DTD.

I did see the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 which now has a $100 rebate going. Wait till July 4th sale for more rebates from DTD/DT as I stated earlier.

DTD says you can go to a 215/45R18 which will give you more sidewall for cushion. Which will be a little bit narrower but taller of a tire. WINNER!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: andyd
I currently have the tiger paw gtz they handle great but they rode so rough. What would be something that still handles good but rides a little smoother that won't break the bank size is 225/40/r18
The size is the problem IMHO. The 40 profile is too small. Go to a 70 series in 15" Yah, I know, they look dorky compared to the current style. But your econo-box will never be a race car, no matter how low the tires are. Higher profile tires are made for REAL road conditions, not a glass smooth race track.
27.gif

This. An econobox with 40 series tires = silly.

And the dart is one of the best econoboxes Ive driven...

My accord has 225/50-17 tires and rides just fine. It was OE fit with Michelin Energy Saver and they have been very good tires for handling and ride, IMO. but 10% difference in aspect ratio in a 225mm wide tire is 22.5mm, or 1" worth of sidewall.

IMO, P215/55r-16 tires are the best of all worlds when it comes to size and fit for most vehicles. Not balloons, but a decent sidewall, yet can be made stiff.

Id look at what ridiculous sizes of tires and wheels others have fit without rub, then use a tire size calculator, and see how much taller of a tire you can go without issue... Perhaps a 45 or 50 tire is in the cards, especially at a 215 width?

minus 2 for the 225/40r18 is 205/55r16.

I agree with the Kumho ECSTA LE Platimum. Had them in 235/40r18, and they were quite quiet and smooth and held up in wear.

You also have Michelin Primacy MXM4 on sale at TireRack as well for $129.45 per tire (reg price: $185.72)

So I have roughly 500 to spend on a set of tires mounted balanced everything.
What would you buy for 500 that isn't uniroyal or Michelin. After my experience with their customer service I'll never give them my business again.

What would you buy for 500 that isn't uniroyal or Michelin. After my experience with their customer service I'll never give them my business again.

Well, you're talking a 100 dollar or less tire then. I'd have to go with the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum that Quattro Pete and UG_Passat mentioned.

Ouch.

Assuming we're still talking about 225/40/18, Tire Rack has the Dunlop Signature HP on clearance for $86.77 a pop. With your price constraint, that looks like the best option by FAR. "Limited stock" though, so I'd jump on it quickly if I were you.

I look at it like this it's a dart. I should be able to get something decent for the amount. Walmart has the nexen brand tires. I don't know much about those I've heard a lot of good about them.

So I may get some flack for this. But we have a very highly regarded tire shop one town over. Been there forever and has a solid reputation. I called them for a quote and I told them I'd like to stay around $500 give or take. What would you recommend without hesitation he said maxxis tires. I've heard they were darn good from others before but I was skeptical. He told me buy them and try them out and if in 90 days I don't like them he will sell me any name brand tire for the same cost. He specifically mentioned Goodyear and cooper. It does seem like he believes in the product which is a good sign. I'm going to give them a shot all I have to lose is time if it doesn't work out.

The 90-day swap definitely sounds like a nice perk, assuming there are no strings attached. However, my guess is he is not going to swap it for any top of the line Goodyear or Cooper. Instead, he'll offer you a low end tire from these better known manufacturers so that he does not lose money on the deal, in which case you may get stuck with a poor performing tire again.

Is it the Maxxis Bravo HP-M3? I have no personal experience with it, but the limited reviews I've seen of it are generally positive. You would certainly need to drive on them to determine if they provide the level of comfort you desire. But back to my earlier comment, it's hard to ask for comfort from any 225/40 tire...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The 90-day swap definitely sounds like a nice perk, assuming there are no strings attached. However, my guess is he is not going to swap it for any top of the line Goodyear or Cooper. Instead, he'll offer you a low end tire from these better known manufacturers so that he does not lose money on the deal, in which case you may get stuck with a poor performing tire again.

Is it the Maxxis Bravo HP-M3? I have no personal experience with it, but the limited reviews I've seen of it are generally positive. You would certainly need to drive on them to determine if they provide the level of comfort you desire. But back to my earlier comment, it's hard to ask for comfort from any 225/40 tire...

I don't expect a luxurious ride but the uniroyals are harsh and have a vibration issue nobody can solve. We rotated the the tires back to front and the front vibration moved to the rear. The tech verified the wheels were true but uniroyal says as long as they can't see an obvious defect they won't cover them. When I'm on the highway the steering vibrates and shakes like I have a out of balance tire. I'll be glad when they are gone

Does that local shop own a Hunter roadforce balancer? Just in case your new set of tires also vibrate, and it ends up being an out-of-round issue, a Hunter machine will help confirm that, so that you can get a replacement.

That's what you should have done with your current set of Uniroyals, too. Most tire manufactures will cooperate if an out-of-round issue was confirmed with a Hunter machine, but you've got to catch it early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back