Any Alternative To Oily Rust Preventative Undercoatings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a lift and get really dirty working underneath vehicles that have been undercoated. I use dripless undercoating oil from Monarch Oil in Kitchener, Ontario. Is there an alternative that works and does not create this mess?

The vehicles I undercoat already have a fair bit of rust on them, so POR15 or rust preventative paint I don't think is going to work. Any waxy undercoatings that dry and do not retain dirt and actually keep rust at bay? I think I am asking for too much but thought I will check anyway. It looks like I am doomed to getting filthy working under vehicles.

Last edited:
Sure. Look at Amsoil HDMP or maybe some of the cosmoline products. You could also look at boeshield T9. Maybe Krown has something too?

I like the HDMP for some things but find it really doesn't work as well as a rustproofer as one would think. Certainly didn't work as well as fluid film (an oily type) for me.

What type of mess are you avoiding and how are you applying this undercoating? Do you have a spray gun and compressor or are you using something more basic?

I'm using Fluid flim it doesn't drip and doesn't make a mess on the garage floor or driveway. There is a bit of a mess, but not as bad as the mess left behind by something like Krown or Rust-Check.

I used to be a customer of Krown and Rust-check and not to bad mouth the places I used, but they always missed spots and didn't spray other areas. I'm sure they used half of what they should have when doing my vehicles and pocketing the profits. I can buy 1 Gallon cans of Fluid film from Napa in the US for cheap (2 1 Gallon cans for less than $`100 USD) and that can do my Van and Civic and have half a can left over. I can really coat everywhere well.

What I really, really want to get is Bilt Hamber UC and UB underseal. It unfortunately is not available in North America (though Bilt Hamber detailing products are). I have yet to get to the bottom of it (as to why they are not available here... but I may try to get some by importing the stuff myself... from the UK (England) where they are made, or from Australia or New Zealand where they ARE available).

The other product is their Dynax S50 spray.

Reading the information available on these products, they seem to really be favoured in Europe. Tons of great reviews.

The UC is Underseal - Clear and the UB is Underseal - Brown.

Finally, the Dynax S50 is the stuff that really creeps; it is available in mega sized aerosol cans and Bilt Hamber also has really long flexible "lances" to allow same to be inserted into boxed-in areas. S50 is supposed to be used inside of doors, and in blind cavities.

Last edited:
The mess I am referring to is when I am working on vehicles that have been undercoated many months ago and have picked up a lot of dirt.

I expect the answer to my question is " There is no alternative. Any product that can withstand the flexing and the road debris thrown up against the undercarriage has to retain its ability to creep and thus heal any breaches in the coating. Any coating that creeps is going to retain dirt"

I have a Lemmer Undercoating Spray Gun which I use with an air compressor. The medium duty box trucks I spray takes 3 gallons each of the undercoating oil, with the majority of it going on the underside of the box which has many frame members and cross members.

I looked at Cosmoline https://www.cosmolinedirect.com/cosmoline-black-rust-veto-344/ It is $232 US for a case of 4 gallons. That is 4 times what I am paying now for dripless undercoating oil! I would even pay that price if it worked as well as undercoating oil.

Last edited:
Waxy coatings that remain relatively soft and self healing will still make a mess if you touch them. That includes HDMP and waxoyl, amongst others.

A very fine mist of boeshield T9 or P'blaster corrosion stop, are clear and IMO a bit less messy, though they will wipe off on you if you rub on it.

Ive not tried cosmoline - I thou*t it was a thicker/heavier waxy spray.

Anything that dries hard also has greater potential to trap water behind it IMO..

Originally Posted by George7941
The mess I am referring to is when I am working on vehicles that have been undercoated many months ago and have picked up a lot of dirt.

I expect the answer to my question is " There is no alternative. Any product that can withstand the flexing and the road debris thrown up against the undercarriage has to retain its ability to creep and thus heal any breaches in the coating. Any coating that creeps is going to retain dirt"

I have a Lemmer Undercoating Spray Gun which I use with an air compressor. The medium duty box trucks I spray takes 3 gallons each of the undercoating oil, with the majority of it going on the underside of the box which has many frame members and cross members.

I looked at Cosmoline https://www.cosmolinedirect.com/cosmoline-black-rust-veto-344/ It is $232 US for a case of 4 gallons. That is 4 times what I am paying now for dripless undercoating oil! I would even pay that price if it worked as well as undercoating oil.

IMO it's a trade off, cost, availability and durability. Let's face it half of the population does no undercoating and they can usually get 8-10 years out of a vehicle.

Washing the undercarriage makes a difference too. I would stick with what your are doing. Are you a mechanic by trade?

I have lived and worked in salt areas for the past 48 years and found only a few product that actually work as good they claim, two are very expensive and require special guns to apply the other is Noxudol 700. Toyota specs Noxudo by name for protecting frames and it is OE on Saab and Volvo cars.
Fluid film is not great and not in the same class as Noxudol. For the undercarriage yearly reapplication is to be expected in cavities three to four years.

https://www.noxudolusa.com/product/noxudol-700-cavity-wax-aerosol/

TEST

I don't have a lift and get really dirty working underneath vehicles that have been undercoated. I use dripless undercoating oil from Monarch Oil in Kitchener, Ontario. Is there an alternative that works and does not create this mess?

The vehicles I undercoat already have a fair bit of rust on them, so POR15 or rust preventative paint I don't think is going to work. Any waxy undercoatings that dry and do not retain dirt and actually keep rust at bay? I think I am asking for too much but thought I will check anyway. It looks like I am doomed to getting filthy working under vehicles.

Aside from the fact POR requires extreme efforts to save the unused portion I notice it tends to flake off in huge flakes which undoubtedly trap water until they fall off. Give me good old used ATF and petroleum jelly any day and park where the drips dont matter.......

I thank God I do not live in the salt / rust belt , every time I read one of these threads !

Last 2 days , we had 107F - 108F and dry . Suppose to be cooler today .

Went out on a call , with one of our younger guys , last night . Compressor on a Bard HVAC unit died . Customer brought in 2 spot coolers from out of town & our younger guy wired them up .

We disconnected & reconnected a 100 hp AHU motor , 2 weekends ago . Was sent out for bearing replacement . Defiantly , the weather is stressing the HVAC equipment .

Stay cool , :)

The monarch oil product is the best there is and at $19.95 per gallon can't be beat

Trav, how much dirt does Noxudol 700 attract as compared to oily undercoatings?

It seems to be only available in small aerosol cans, making it not very practical to apply on trucks which take 3 gallons of oil based undercoating. My rustproofing spray gun, with the air pressure set at 50 psi, really shoots out the product well and enables me to cover the underside of a truck thoroughly in about an hour and a half of spraying.

This is the spray gun I use https://www.lemmer.com/store/p73/Pressure_Pot_2GT_RP_Kit.html

Originally Posted by KrisZ
I'm afraid that the only way for you to be clean when working is not to spray anything on your vehicles and learn to live with rust.
Personally I'd rather get dirty every once in a while than live with rust.

Yes, it definitely looks like I will just have to get used to working on dirty undersides. Not spraying is not an option in Toronto when the goal is to keep the trucks running for 20 to 25 years.

Aside from the fact POR requires extreme efforts to save the unused portion I notice it tends to flake off in huge flakes which undoubtedly trap water until they fall off. Give me good old used ATF and petroleum jelly any day and park where the drips dont matter.......

How is your prep? The few times I've used it I did the full three step prep and it stuck like glue. Even has held up well on an old machete blade.

Trav, how much dirt does Noxudol 700 attract as compared to oily undercoatings?

It seems to be only available in small aerosol cans, making it not very practical to apply on trucks which take 3 gallons of oil based undercoating. My rustproofing spray gun, with the air pressure set at 50 psi, really shoots out the product well and enables me to cover the underside of a truck thoroughly in about an hour and a half of spraying.

This is the spray gun I use https://www.lemmer.com/store/p73/Pressure_Pot_2GT_RP_Kit.html

Let it dry a day or two and it doesn't attract much at all, call Noxudol and ask when the quarts will be available. I have some qts left over from last year so I know they still package it that way.
Found it..

https://www.noxudolusa.com/product/noxudol-700-cavity-wax-1-lt/

Edit: You can also use the 300 which is heavier for the undercarriage but use the 700 inside the rockers, doors, post hood seams, etc.

https://www.noxudolusa.com/product/noxudol-300-undercoating-1-liter/

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bluestream
The monarch oil product is the best there is and at $19.95 per gallon can't be beat

Whats so much better about the Monarch? Is it anything more than an oil which gets sprayed on, and stays wet? I'd assume heavy tackifiers and such, but am I missing something?

Having used the Monarch oil for a couple of years, I can say it has the two most important properties
1) It creeps well
2) It clings well.

I cry, because my one vehicle has fallen victim to the rust monster.

It rains and it gets wet in the driver foot well. The water has gotten between the sheet metal layers. So I'm stuck with a leak, that I can't fix without cutting and welding.

I wonder if any of these more waxy oils will create a barrier to at least slow things down until I get time and the funds to do the major surgery.

Or am I stuck letting it rot?

Originally Posted by buck91

How is your prep? The few times I've used it I did the full three step prep and it stuck like glue. Even has held up well on an old machete blade.

I'm wondering that too... I used POR15 on the fuel filler pipe 5 years ago, and it's still solid. I stripped and etched the pipe before brushing it on and ended up with 3 coats, to make sure it had gotten a full covering.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back