Ants?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are wood boring ants and they do a lot of damage to 2x4 wall studs.

Look for them in the 2x4s next to the foundation in your garage. Also check your fence posts.

carpenter-ant-galleries-lg.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Those are wood boring ants and they do a lot of damage to 2x4 wall studs.

Look for them in the 2x4s next to the foundation in your garage. Also check your fence posts.

carpenter-ant-galleries-lg.jpg

My garage is stone for 8+ feet up, no signs of any wood dust or damage in the exposed roof/rafters.

My home is stone for the first 3-4 feet, have to go up stairs to get to the first floor. Again, no signs, but also a much bigger and more complex place to observe.

These things were in the garage... looking for food, a home, etc.

I'll be looking into the insecticide route... have never had any treatments of any kind done...

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Twice a year I drench my place top to bottom, including trenching the perimeter with Termidor / Taurus SC to keep pretty much everything at bay. In between the twice annual drenching I also hit the place with Demon Max or Demon WP. To keep a resistance thing from getting started I also use Permethrin 36.8% occasionally to kinda mix things up. Being in the desert the primary targets are scorpions, termites, spiders, ants, gnats, flys and noseums. As such we don’t see much hanging around the place, and if something does show up, it’s dead, just the way I like it. I like to time everything just before they swarm or come to maturity.

Termidor should be good for 7-10 years. Twice a year is way beyond the label rate. I'm not a tree hugger but if everyone overapplies then they will take this stuff off the market sooner than later.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda

Termidor should be good for 7-10 years. Twice a year is way beyond the label rate. I'm not a tree hugger but if everyone overapplies then they will take this stuff off the market sooner than later.

Yes, please be responsible with it.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Why use Termidor? Use used motor oil, isn't this a motor oil site? Perfect use.

Used motor oil contaminates soil, and groundwater.

Originally Posted By: Rand
yep small flying ants its that time of year

possibly tons of stinkbugs incoming too.. depending on location.

Yeah but stinkbugs can get pretty big and they have a very weird shape to them, they almost look like alligator bugs and sort of triangular. Weird looking things. I suppose they start off small. We all know carpenter ants eat wood and they get to be pretty large. Big black ants. I suppose some of them fly, we used to have them around, all types of ants, actually. Some black some red. I can't immediately identify those, they might be flies.

Those in the picture are either bugs of some type of gnat judging by how the wings and body look or some strange ant, they have enough mutations in the woods and stuff that you may not even be able to tell a type.

Did they come out of nowhere, like fruit flies? They almost looked like small dragonflies or damselflies, some of them, but the second picture appears to clearly show an ant. The first picture, I too saw some long straight abdomens and thought Odonata.)

I've heard of used motor oil around doorframes and house perimeters to keep out various bugs however that may have been an old wives tale. I suppose the stink and toxicity would be the deterrent. Set fly traps for them, they are attracted to light..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back