Anti-Virus

haven't used anti-virus since Y2k, but now do have defender on windows 10. I've ran it once just to see what it looked like.

Anti-malware has been run a few times in the last 2 decades though

I've never had AV installed even back when I was on windows. I've been on linux since 2002 and my approach has been to keep my data partition separate from my OS root. If my OS is corrupted, I would just format my OS partition, re-install from my ISO and 10 minutes later I'm back up and running. Automated backups for the data partition using ZFS snapshots and just send the delta across to another machine/drive.

I did try once back in 2000/XP days to run AV. That experience still makes me twitch, talk about dropping your computer to its knees, I'm assuming its better these days though.

I've never had AV installed even back when I was on windows. I've been on linux since 2002 and my approach has been to keep my data partition separate from my OS root. If my OS is corrupted, I would just format my OS partition, re-install from my ISO and 10 minutes later I'm back up and running. Automated backups for the data partition using ZFS snapshots and just send the delta across to another machine/drive.

I did try once back in 2000/XP days to run AV. That experience still makes me twitch, talk about dropping your computer to its knees, I'm assuming its better these days though.
Same strategy here...

Also, I cannot get to the internet without going through PfSense, PfBlocker and unbound.

If it ain't broke, I have no reason to fix it.
If it's unsupported, it's quite broke; and it has nothing to do with viruses.

This is a list of current unpatched publicly-disclosed vulnerabilities in Win7; and no fixes are coming:

Been using Webroot Secure Anywhere Anti Virus now for 13 yrs and have never
once been compromised.
And, it's made right here in Colorado, USA.

I have been using Linux Mint since March. There has been no need for any AV on Mint. I also have a Windows 10 laptop, I use Avast Free on that one, it works very well but I don't use that laptop very often. I also have a Windows 11 laptop, I tried several AV's on it and found it just works better with Windows Security. That being said, I don't use 11 much either. Mint works really well for me.

Microsoft Security Essentials is free and still works on Windows 7. What more do you need?
Security Essentials is useless, Microsoft doesn't maintain it and its detection rate is horrific. Using an OS that's no longer receiving security updates with an AV that's essentially abandonware as of several years ago is not a winning combination.

Back