Another " when would you change the oil?" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to change the oil first since it has MMO?

I just changed the PCV valve. Should I leave the new one in during this OCI or throw the old one back in???

BG109 From Amazon looks like it might work.
Thanks

Last edited:
Any additional real world experience?
Instructions for use state to keep in there for 20 minutes. If I keep it in longer, like 1000 miles, the manufacturer says it will redeposit the sludge

Been using BG109 for about 20 years now on one engine or another. I am not concerned about re-depositing varnish/sludge. Most of my engine issues are stuck rings which is usually coking ...

It seems to soften the coke, so the rings free up. I will say that I usually just toss in a can 1,000 miles or so before the change interval. In my world that has gone to annual for most of these motors ...

A can of BG109 and some MMO works well together. Never seen any adverse mixing issues. If concerned, just run the first treatment for 20 minutes driving around the block. If you like the results, try for a longer run on the second try
smile.gif

Last edited:
Since you have a fair amount of MMO in there now, I'd follow the instructions on the BG label and run it the 10-20 minutes. If you pour it in now you'll probably be way over the FULL line I'm guessing. MMO seems pretty thin to me. So I'd be a little careful here. You don't want to ruin the engine by going over board with the additives. I don't see a problem running one at a time as they are designed. You just don't want to make things worse.

https://www.bgprod.com/blog/lab-qa-should-i-leave-bg-epr-in-the-engine/

Plus with many oil flushes it says to let the engine idle only and not drive with it in the engine. Since all the MMO is in there I'd err on the side of caution. Idle it for 10 mins in the engine before the oil change.

Last edited:
Thanks. Was thinking the same.
Worst case is run a second treatment since I have a quart.
Have a great weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back