Another successful Citric Acid flush

I buy citric acid 20 lbs at a time for use with my water softener. It is really good for iron. I don't think it affects aluminum, brass or copper. I have some aluminum soaking in a brass bowl in a strong solution. Will report back if the aluminum disappears.

It did pull the copper out of the brass leaving a copper ring where the water and air met. And there were tiny bubbles on the aluminum foil. But it was a pretty strong solution as I use powdered 100% citric acid and a couple ounces of water, much stronger than the typical flush bottle in the radiator.

When I built the 6 tonne cryo CO2 storage farm at the power station, we used Citric to remove the brazing oxide from the pipes (with a bone inhibitor).

(Can use peroxide in low dilution to passivate it)

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
It did pull the copper out of the brass leaving a copper ring where the water and air met. And there were tiny bubbles on the aluminum foil. But it was a pretty strong solution as I use powdered 100% citric acid and a couple ounces of water, much stronger than the typical flush bottle in the radiator.

2lb is a lot more than a usual flush bottle and then there is heat from the engine involved. I cant say if that changes the effects or not. Call me over cautious but with some heater cores needing 8+ hrs to change and some radiators needing the nose to be pulled I rather not be to too confident that its harmless.
IMO a simple neutralizing flush is dirt cheap and only takes a few min, no harm and peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I would use maybe a cup for a radiator flush. No way 2 lbs.
A cup of pure citric acid is 6oz. So probably still too much for a 2 gallon system.

I was going by Mercedes 1.1lbs (.5KG) for 2.3 gallon system. Im running a bit over double that so I simply doubled the recipe...I left a little under just for safety since it probably wouldve come out to 2.4lbs or something if I'd been exact.

I did over estimate the amount of water left in; or the book system capacity value is off (that never happens,lol.) I measured the coolant as about 60%. Gonna take some out and fill with water to try and readjust.

The amount you used is correct for a 4 gallon system. I use 4 tablespoons per ltr/qt.

https://citronensäure.heitmann-haushalt.de/en/products/pure-citric-acid-375g/

I performed a citric acid flush on the heater core of my old 2002 ford taurus. The crap that came out was unbelievable.

I performed a citric acid flush on the heater core of my old 2002 ford taurus. The crap that came out was unbelievable.
The Vulcan motor? They use to be terrible in the Taurus for some reason.

Vinegar will attack solder fwiw. Doubt if much solder is used anymore.

Back