Another stuck ATF drain plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put my Civic up on ramps earlier today to do a drain & fill for transmission. I was unable to get the drain plug off (proper 3/8 ratchet used). Read here that hammer blows or PB Blaster might do it. I have tried both to no avail. Actually, the pb blaster has been on for a good 60 if not 90 minutes. I've come out 2-3 times since first applying it, but when it doesn't work I just shoot some more onto the plug, and go back in. I'm not seeing any progress at all on the drain plug. I do see the drain pan moving slightly forward as I tug on the ratchet, and hear creaking, so I stop pulling.

I recall youtube videos showing how to siphon the atf out through the dipstick hole, although I never watched one. Is there any other method I can use to get the drain plug off? Or is that my only option?

try a heat gun on the plug along with some penetrant. Use a non marring hammer (rubber mallet, or dead-blow, ect.) and a cheater bar. I really can't foresee you doing damage removing a plug.
Seafoam Deep Creep and Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil are better penetrants if you want to try a different one.

PB'Laster doesn't work as well as Liquid Wrench, or Kroil, in my experience.

Kroil is the absolute best, but hard to find, which is why I mention Liquid Wrench.

I threw out all my PB'Laster a few years ago. Good riddance.

If I knew what your drain plug looked like, that might help. When you say 3/8", is it a pipe plug (square depression in the plug)? Because, in that case, I would hit it with an impact wrench and a proper pipe plug socket. Like one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...sin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would you be able to post a picture of it?

Oh, and when you do get it off, use a new seal/crush washer and don't overtorque it...

Deep Creep is good stuff...once you hear it creaking, tighten it up some and work back and forth. It will eventually work loose...keep spraying the Deep Creep on.

I saw Liquid Wrench penetrating oil at WM when I bought the PB Blaster, but it was over twice as much, and PBBlaster was recommended here, so I figured Liquid Wrench was just charging more for their name. Ugh!

I'll see if I can find either SeaFoam Deep Creep or I can just go back to my local WM and buy Liquid Wrench stuff.

I have attached a pic below.

ATF.jpg

I can get SeaFoam Deep Creep at my local Napa, LW at my local WM.

Would either be just as good as the other, or is one the better choice? Both are cheap enough so price isn't an issue.

Sorry not trying to start an argument, but I've already made 2 trips into town today for this atf drain, I'd like to get it right this time.
smile.gif

Kroil is amazing, and I second the idea to give it a quick hit of an impact. it's all about the speed of the twist overcoming the initial stiction of the threads. One trigger pull is all it should take.

None of the local stores have Kroil penephite, so looks like Deep Creep or LW

OK I'll go back out and give it a blow. I don't have a mallet small enough to fit under my car to be swung, so I'll go back to hitting it with the long handle of a steel hammer--which should blunt the impact onto the ratchet.

You're going to need additional leverage to loosen that plug, if you have a piece of pipe you can slide over the ratchet handle for more leverage.

After inserting my ratchet, I've got IIRC 8-10 inches over the concrete. Car is up on rino ramps now....

Originally Posted by 2K2AcuraTL
Is there any room for you to use a 2 feet breaker bar..?/

No penetrating oil will work on these, the threads are already sitting in oil. When I drain the atf or mtf on my hondas I use a 3/8 in breaker bar and a rubber mallet to strike it. You might be able to use the mallet on the 3/8 ratchet but sometimes these ratchets are still kind of short and also hammering on them could break them.

are you sure you are turning it the right way?

use additional leverage, 18" breaker bar available in 3/8 drive
hf sells them for about 10bucks.. other places abit more.

usually the first time is the worst/most stuck, not sure why an old one would be that stuck unless a gorilla worked on it.

Pretty sure... counterclockwise, as I'm facing the plug.

Well it was only serviced once that I know of. That was a flush, and my mechanic might have used a machine to suck all the fluid out, without turning the drain plug, I don't know. It has been about 30K since that flush. Or, it mighit simply might have been overtightened when they flushed it.

Originally Posted by Rand
are you sure you are turning it the right way?

usually the first time is the worst/most stuck, not sure why an old one would be that stuck unless a gorilla worked on it.

Last edited:
If it's any consolation, I never not been able to remove a tranny drain plug here in the North East. Even if I had to hit the breaker bar with a mallet. That drain plug is in great shape as is the area around it. I'll break free, after a prayer. Trust me!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back