Another Snowblower Rec: Toro vs. John Deere

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across this forum while looking for information on the pros/cons of different snowblowers:

I want to buy a 26-28" 2-stage snowblower and have narrowed my search to either a John Deere 1028E or a Toro 826OXE.

They both cost the same - $1300 - in my area and both have B&S engines.

I'm leaning to the John Deere because it seems to be more solid and has a bigger engine (305cc) vs. the Toro's 250cc.

The Toro has "Freewheel Power Steering" while the Deere allows you to unlike only the right wheel and the lock is on the wheel - so I think the Toro will be much easier to turn.

My biggest concern about the Toro is that it DOESN'T have shear pins. It claims that it has a "commercial grade auger gearbox" so it doesn't need shear pins. I wonder what would happen if I run into a hidden piece of wood or something else our town snowplows often bring .

Any thought would be greatly appreciated. This forum is great.

In the 25 years of snowblower ownership, I've never broke a shear pin.
The Toro snowblowers are highly rated, equaling others with more power.

Newer John Deere stuff just isn't that great of quality in my opinion (at least our John Deere riding mower is a piece of [censored]). I'd personally go for the Toro, our Toro blower is like 16 years old now and still going strong.

Thanks guys.

I was hoping to get more votes for the Deere, since the Toro is much more $ - about $500 more for the equivalent Toro. But that's why I'm on this forum - so people who know more can help me make the right decision.

To put things in perspective - the 28" Deere with a 305cc / 14.5 ft. lbs. torque engine is $1300 --- same as the 26" Toro with a 250cc / 11.5 ft. lbs. torque engine. The bigger 28" Toro with the 305cc / 14.5 ft. lbs. torque engine is $1800.

Any idea about how the 205cc Toro will perform vs. the 305cc Deere? Or should I just forget about the Deere?

Thanks again.

The late model JD snowblowers I've seen were upgraded (older) Murray designs that is also shared by some of the Simplicity and Craftsman line. Not a bad thing. They've got bearings and extra bracing where it counts. I'd look at the overall features between the machines. Tire size, comfort at the controls, ease of control, etc.

OTOH, I don't know that Toro has ever gotten it wrong when it comes to snowblowers. They're right up there with Ariens, Honda and Simplicity.

Last edited:
I just bought a new Ariens 24' deluxe, it seems to be very well constructed, I looked at a Toro 26" with the same 250cc engine as the ariens. What really turned me off the toro was the plastic chute, does it really matter ? who knows. The Ariens with the steel chute just seems a better design to me! . Also the Ariens has a cast iron gear case and larger 14" auger and impeller.

No experience with the JD, but my Toro 826 (forget the suffix) is 6 years old now and works just like the day I bought it. I have not had one issue with it. It has the plastic discharge chute, and to be honest, I was skeptical when I bought it. No issues with it yet (even chunking ice chunks through it at -15F!)

As the others have stated, tough to go wrong with the Toro/Ariens/Honda/Simplicity units, even with the higher price tags. You can't pry mine out of my hands
smile.gif

Thanks for all the good advice - I appreciate your taking the time to help.

Mngopher, is there an easy way to drain the oil on your Toro.

Thanks again

We have a Simplicity at work that is identical to the John deere you are looking at (The current Deere blowers are made by Simplicity) It seems to be a very well made machine. It has been through about 4 years of hard commercial duty with no issues. I am in northern NY about 45 minutes south of the Canadian boarder, we get plenty of lake effect snow to put them to the test.
Toros are a well respected snowblower as well though.
Go with whatever one YOU like the best!

I have the John Deere and is has been a great machine with the only problem being a thumb screw vibrating off the housing that surrounds the carb. Tons of power and throws snow a long distance. Has never clogged, use it two seasons so far. I use Delo 0W30 Synthetic HDEO in it. I use a tractor with a blade on the long drive but snow blow about 60 feet three car widths wide and the sidewalks. (Got in trouble with the female who manages things in my house with the tractor blade and chains in her flower beds;-)) But I replaced a 1980 John Deere I bought new. That machine was heavier built in terms of cast iron here and there, but never handled snow as well as the new one does. My brother is now running the 1980 with no problems.

Last edited:
I purchased a Toro last year, the 1128 OXE. 342cc-I used every bit of it and more when we got the 20+" last year in one storm. I am 6'2" and the snow at the end of the driveway from the plow was higher than my waist. I was the only one in the neighborhood who plowed to the corner for the sidewalk, did my driveway, backyard for the dogs, and helped the neighbors.

I was going to support Ariens, (Wisconsin brand) but Toro offered 18 months financing with 0% interest. The auto-turning is very nice feature by way.

Last edited:
Rotorguy, yes the Toro is easy to Change the oil on. It has a pipe fitting that runs from the bottom of the block to the back of the unit. Unscrew the fitting and tip the unit slightly to drain. All metal.

I'll note that mine ahs the old Tecumseh Snow King on it though. The newer units may be different.

Thanks - I'll take a look at the current model. I'm leaning towards the Toro 1028 OXE - maybe the 1128 OXE.

Thanks for all the great advice - having you guys help has been great. I get the impression that most reviews on the internet are rants or fake.

Thanks again.

FWIW, 2012 will be the last year John Deere will be marketing walk behind lawn mowers and snowblowers. Participating dealers will be selling Honda's to replace them.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
FWIW, 2012 will be the last year John Deere will be marketing walk behind lawn mowers and snowblowers. Participating dealers will be selling Honda's to replace them.

I'm surprised they hung-on this long. I haven't seen but a handful of JD walk-behind snowblowers in use in my area my entire life and they've been around forever. OTOH, there's a TON of JD lawn/garden tractors with front mounted units. I know my family has owned a few. They probably plan to concentrate on those more (snowblower attachments).

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back