Another New Car/First Oil Change Thread

Just got a new Subaru Crosstrek Limited after the wife got T-boned a few weeks ago by a 19 year old girl who just got her license that day! The wife is fine...Thank God
I have a lot of Castrol Edge 0w-30 A3/B4 in my stach and want to use it in the new subie. I know the manual says 0w-20 Do you see any problems with that? Thinking about doing the first change at 2500 then 5000 and every 5000 after that?

Attachments

• IMG_0692.JPG
    IMG_0692.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 96
I would run the OCI to the recommended 6000 miles and no less. These engines tend to be fairly easy on oil and there is no need to use anything heavier than 0w20. I would not run Castrol 0w30 in it, and before anyone asks it is because it is not necessary and frankly that oil is better served in an engine it is specified for.

Is your Subaru DI or turbo DI?

I like a3/b4 stuff and typically don't pay attention to owner's manual recommendation (CAFE) but when it comes to DI or Turbo DI, I'm a little more careful about oil selection and consider illusive lspi, ivd, ash contents, low/mid/full saps, etc.
ask @edyvw

Still not really convinced if any of it makes a huge difference in the long run as I haven't seen any independent studies (long term, same engine, different oil kind of studies) ... but meanwhile something to think about.

Glad to hear your wife is okay and hopefully the young girl is to. To bad her insurance will suffer.

I would do the following with the new car. Spray down with power washer, clean using two bucket method, dry using microfibre cloth, then take a solution and clay bar the car removing any rail rust etc. Then I would use a good synthetic wax (Something cheap yet very effective would be Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Wax/polish).

Enjoy the car.

Just got a new Subaru Crosstrek Limited after the wife got T-boned a few weeks ago by a 19 year old girl who just got her license that day! The wife is fine...Thank God
I have a lot of Castrol Edge 0w-30 A3/B4 in my stach and want to use it in the new subie. I know the manual says 0w-20 Do you see any problems with that? Thinking about doing the first change at 2500 then 5000 and every 5000 after that?
Mercy … Somehow I picture a 19 year old and a cell phone …

Back