Another day at the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that is some impressive work on the pan / pick-up tube. This engine was literally a ticking time bomb with those belts and sludge issues. He should buy a lottery ticket.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Original Timing Belt
crazy2.gif
......Never seen one this dry rotted that was still in one piece!

]

Back in the day while working at an independent shop, the oldest original timing belt I saw was on a T-100 with the 5VZ-FE. 320k miles, and I saw it because the water pump had started leaking. The T-belt looked about like this one IIRC. The engine had a lot more miles, but wasn't as old time wise. That truck had been absolutely hammered in the guys contractor business. Every body panel was dented, but the drivetrain was all original and running fine, other than the failed seal in the water pump.

After valve train pics, sump and oil pick up about what I would have expected. Ugh. Amazing the truck made it into the shop and engine "tested out really good before" the tear down. Then add in the original belt finding, and new meaning to the term "borrowed time". Imo, shows how tough the engine is.

I am curious as to how many shop hours this job will go out with?

Thanks for pics and job details. Nice work.

Great job on the work you did on it! Since you're changing the belts on it the owner must know (since they had to sign off on it), but I wonder if the owner knows just how bad things were neglected, those belts were ugly. It makes me think whether they did any maintenance at all on this thing.

There are seriously people who live like this, the same kind of people who think that expensive auto repair bills are a fact of life rather than avoidable penalties. The same ones who are always irresponsible, short on money and taking out loans or charging it and paying interest to cover crap like this, then complaining about not making ends meet due to "unforeseen circumstances".
smirk2.gif

You guys definitely deserve everything being paid for this job. I can imagine there are places that wouldn't touch this disaster with a ten foot pole, but more money in the pocket for you.

He's been trying to hide it … but here is the one time (in 40 years) that Tig ran an 11k OCI
cool.gif

A5F48F2E-F720-4F48-BBAB-8C07D9935A26.jpeg

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Looks nice and clean. Sounds like the owner is the perfect candidate for a EV.

Meh. Uber or Lyft. Or a bike.

Original drive belts......Yes they would squeal like a banshee! Replaced them with some Gates brand which I don't care for as they are very elastic compared to Bando or Mitsuboshi that I prefer on "fixed" tension Japanese makes.

I've used Gates without a problem on my parent's Sienna and my car - although the Bando belt I used on the PS pump did have an easier time tensioning(and staying there), the Gates needed a small adjustment.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
What's the purpose of the slit in the teeth of the bottom gear? Enhanced lubrication?

That's a Preload Gear, The thin front part of the gear is spring loaded to take-up any lash between the Drive Gear (Intake Cam) & the Driven Gear (Exhaust Cam). Without it......The gears would rattle against each other. Just about all DOHC Timing Belt Toyota engines use them, The 7M & 2JZ being the notable exceptions.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Original Timing Belt
crazy2.gif

]

Back in the day while working at an independent shop, the oldest original timing belt I saw was on a T-100 with the 5VZ-FE. 320k miles, and I saw it because the water pump had started leaking. The T-belt looked about like this one IIRC. The engine had a lot more miles, but wasn't as old time wise. That truck had been absolutely hammered in the guys contractor business. Every body panel was dented, but the drivetrain was all original and running fine, other than the failed seal in the water pump.

I've seen a few look like this.....But were twisted up around the crank gear. The 5S-FE owners seemed to be the worst about letting the TB ride 'til it broke.

Originally Posted by Sayjac

I charged/billed 21.5 hours, I'll charge more next time as I ended up spending 23.7 hours on it.....But this type work is few & far between anymore.

Finished it up around 10am today......Engine quiet as a mouse, Got all the oil burned out of the exhaust within 10 miles, To my surprise......The O2 sensors & Catalyst are functioning normally for now (Monitors Ready).

Originally Posted by nthach

Replaced them with some Gates brand which I don't care for as they are very elastic compared to Bando or Mitsuboshi that I prefer on "fixed" tension Japanese makes.

I've used Gates without a problem on my parent's Sienna and my car - although the Bando belt I used on the PS pump did have an easier time tensioning(and staying there), the Gates needed a small adjustment.

Fair enough, But as a Flat Rate Tech......I don't appreciate having to re-tension belts for free, Which generally turns into me replacing them because the customer will continue to drive the vehicle 'til the belts overheat & "Glaze". Then the cycle repeats!

Yeah, that one doesn't look like it was too bad after all. It appears it was mostly soft and gooey. The one I did that is now at approx. 300k, had hard, baked on sludge. I was using parts washer solvent, and hard bristle nylon brushes going after that crap. The pickup screen was also nearly completely covered in baked on sludge. But all the bearings were still good in it.

If the owner can be convinced to perform oil changes once in awhile, it will probably be running for years.

Crap? We can write crap now?

I agree. Baked in sludge is a harder material to tackle. Surprised nylon brushes were working for you.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Yeah, that one doesn't look like it was too bad after all. It appears it was mostly soft and gooey. The one I did that is now at approx. 300k, had hard, baked on sludge. I was using parts washer solvent, and hard bristle nylon brushes going after that crap. The pickup screen was also nearly completely covered in baked on sludge. But all the bearings were still good in it.

If the owner can be convinced to perform oil changes once in awhile, it will probably be running for years.

Crap? We can write crap now?

I agree. Baked in sludge is a harder material to tackle. Surprised nylon brushes were working for you.

Apparently so.
21.gif

Yeah, it wasn't easy to remove, the solvent was probably stronger back in the day too. But the old adage 'Do no harm' applies. It was appropriately billed.

Originally Posted by Sayjac

I charged/billed 21.5 hours, I'll charge more next time as I ended up spending 23.7 hours on it.....But this type work is few & far between anymore.

Finished it up around 10am today......Engine quiet as a mouse, Got all the oil burned out of the exhaust within 10 miles, To my surprise......The O2 sensors & Catalyst are functioning normally for now (Monitors Ready)….
Thanks for the reply, glad you included your actual time too. Was going to ask that but didn't want to seem too nosy. You earned every cent.

As for sensors, I've only had to replace one, air fuel ratio sensor. Didn't affect drivability, just a gave a CEL. Easy fix, got the Denso sensor off Amazon, perfect since.

Whatever happens now to the vehicle, you did your best to give the engine a new life.
thumbsup2.gif
In the future, hope the guy has an idea now about oil&filter change interval. If he sticks to it, with any API SN/SN+ ~5k miles would be a good and safe one ime.

Original Timing Belt
crazy2.gif

]

I've seen a few look like this.....But were twisted up around the crank gear. The 5S-FE owners seemed to be the worst about letting the TB ride 'til it broke.

I've done 5S-FE engines that had belt teeth falling off the belt. Usually happens around 250k. Also found that the oil seals around the oil pump and pan turn into slate by this time and require replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back