Android 10" tablet?

Originally Posted by Skippy722
The issue with android is each manufacturer likes to release their own tweaked version of Android, which means updates can take awhile or be non-existent.

Agreed. The only Android tablet I'd consider these days, apart from almost purpose-built, application-specific units like those from Amazon, would be the Google Pixels. I am note sure what they offer these days for tablets, and they wouldn't be cheap; but they'd be pure Android and would be updated consistently and first.

Originally Posted by paulri
Don't most tablets last that long-iPad or not?

Originally Posted by 4WD
madRiver said:
Just buy the $300-$400 iPad. They have much longer support of OS, nice screens and last 4-5 years.

My 10" Samsung is 3.5 years old and working fine.

That's not my quote … but I buy Apple because we have all things Apple and I don't buy Samsung over KORUS and having lived there - and seeing why it's a bad agreement.

Well I pulled the trigger on an Amazon Fire 10 and I'm already disappointed. Amazon has locked this down so much that I can't even install Google play apps. I'm trying to work around this with some hacking software that will allow me to do this, but if I had known this is what I'd have to do, I would never have bought this.

Well I can return it till July 4, so that's nice. If my experiment doesn't work I'll do a factory reset and take it back to target. If I do, I think I'll just go straight to dell or lenovo. they are selling there for 250-300, a bit more than I paid for the kindle fire, but at least I can use it for whatever I want...:(

Well I pulled the trigger on an Amazon Fire 10 and I'm already disappointed. Amazon has locked this down so much that I can't even install Google play apps. I'm trying to work around this with some hacking software that will allow me to do this, but if I had known this is what I'd have to do, I would never have bought this.

Well I can return it till July 4, so that's nice. If my experiment doesn't work I'll do a factory reset and take it back to target. If I do, I think I'll just go straight to dell or lenovo. they are selling there for 250-300, a bit more than I paid for the kindle fire, but at least I can use it for whatever I want...:(

Not surprised, Fire anything are usually junk coming out of Lab126. They always overstretch the engineers there to pump out cheap generic stuff to lock cheapskates into their ecosystem, that's their business plan after the Fire Phone fiasco. I was recommended to be transferred there from AWS and I declined, never regret it.

When I did it a few years ago it was kind of buggy, but livable.

I've been very happy with both my Samsungs as well (older Galaxy Tab S2, and newer Galaxy Tab S5e), alas these aren't anywhere close to $100.

Browsing the web on a slow tablet is infuriating, but as an e-reader, it might be OK.

Android can be crap or excellent depends on what you buy, just like a windows PC. The lowest end would be a ad supported Kindle Fire with mediatek low end processor and the high end would be a Galaxy Tab with the fastest processors, and other brands somewhere in between. Check the review before you buy.

One thing I like about Galaxy is they have some massive one like the 18" Galaxy View. Massive.

I have an Amazon Fire, and yeah, pretty useless as they come, but my son has put Android on it and it works pretty well. It is used 90% for ebooks from the library, the stock Fire doesn't do epub, but mine now does.

I have the fire tablet 7, and very happy with it.. it's not HD resolution but has a crisp display.. maybe go for hd8 or 10 and get the better display.. for email Skype surfing the web works great.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Samsung 10.1. I had the Kindle Fire HD version first. I just got frustrated being stuck using the Amazon site for downloading apps. It was a good reader though. I ended up giving it to my granddaughters.

For a tablet that is budget friendly I would highly recommend using an Amazon Fire. They start at $50 and are some of the best in the tablet range. You’ll be able to watch videos, read books, and do some internet browsing just fine.

Back