And People Think I am Wacky!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: artbuc
Everyone I know thinks I am a total nut job because I do everything myself - plumbing, electrical, HVAC, etc, etc, especially auto work including wheel alignment. I do it because I can, I love it and do not trust others. I have had several occasions over the years to take cars back to dealers for warranty or recall work. In every single case, dealer totally effed up my car...I will spare you the horror stories.

Ok, back to the reason for this post. On another forum, a person asked what are the best hand tools for manually removing old and installing new tires on his rims. He said he thought it would be a lot of fun plus would save $$. I have changed tires on my garden tractor and can not imagine doing same on a car. Do any of you dedicated BITOG DIY’ers remove/install tires with hand tools?

Why would anyone think you're wacky for doing all those things yourself? I dabble in those things and try to learn and do what I can but I hold in high esteem anyone that is expert in a lot of skill sets and areas.

I mount all of my tires for myself, friends, and family. I use a HF manual tire changing stand that stays mounted to a wood deck. I got tired of my wheels always getting scratched when I had tires mounted. Especially on motorcycles. So I bought the equipment to do it myself when I spent 700 bucks having my motorcycle wheels chromed. Chipping the chrome is not an option. Also have the HF motorcycle adapter. Fitted with aftermarket nylon inserts that hold the wheel. Non-starter without that upgrade. Also essential is the "Mojolever" (opt into the NSA interface google and read about it) It has nylon ends for mounting and dismounting. Essential tool. Not cheap but it is solid lifetime tool that pays for itself. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't require a a lot of strength or straining to mount tires. Technique and understanding of process is more important than brute force.

I dont use the HF hold down clamp on aluminum wheels. I have drilled holes in the baseplate and use a spare stud and lugnut to hold wheel in position. A little silicone spray lube around the tire beads for ease of installation.

Sams Club will balance tires for 3.88 each or for the more critical applications I take them to my favorite independent tire shop and have them roadforced for 10 each.

The only tires I cannot do are runflats.

Last edited:
Guess I have been lucky with my dealer and my independent garage. Quality work done all the time. I wont bother changing tires off or on rims, it costs so little to have done properly at my dealer, just not worth my time. Dont know which dealer you have gone to several times that "effed" up your car so many times on recalls, but maybe just a really bad apple. I do as much as I can on my own, if its too complex my independent guy looks at it and if relatively basic stuff..tire changeovers, recalls, other stuff that doesnt save money from seeing an indy is done at the dealer.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Guess I have been lucky with my dealer and my independent garage. Quality work done all the time. I wont bother changing tires off or on rims, it costs so little to have done properly at my dealer, just not worth my time. Dont know which dealer you have gone to several times that "effed" up your car so many times on recalls, but maybe just a really bad apple. I do as much as I can on my own, if its too complex my independent guy looks at it and if relatively basic stuff..tire changeovers, recalls, other stuff that doesnt save money from seeing an indy is done at the dealer.

Two different Lexus and one Toyota dealership.

me, 12 years back

I've probably done 50-60 tires, maybe more since then.

Only one bead was so stuck I had to go to plan B, putting it under a truck frame then stuffing a scissor jack in there.

Balancing is via a hand crank snap-on balancer. $400 used. These keep popping up used for this price and are very accurate.

What was said above about used rims is spot-on. There are people who will buy new tires & rims all mounted online and practically give away their old rims with bald tires. Or I can buy tires I need and then resell the rims.

The physical strength isn't that bad but it puts a side load on one's lower back which isn't great.

I do aluminum rims by putting cardboard or cloth under the "spider" up top and an old floor mat over the "pokey Vee" on the bottom which catches things for the bead breaker to work.

Finally I can take my time and sand rust off the bead surfaces, repaint the insides etc for a leak-free end result.

I did it a few months ago, then I did it again on another vehicle. I must be crazy!

(and yes, a couple of them didn't want to seat with air so I had to use the fire trick)

I cannot stress enough to MOUNT THE TIRE CHANGER TO AN IMMOVABLE SURFACE! All the videos I have see of people struggling with it forego this step and think a sheet of plywood, an old rim, a pallet, etc is an acceptable mount for it, then wonder why they can't apply any force to the tire without the whole thing moving. I have mine attached to 200+ lbs of cement dug 30" into the ground. It isn't going anywhere.

Last edited:
After a losing battle with my first set of run flats I needed to install, I had to buy this.

Originally Posted By: Traction
After a losing battle with my first set of run flats I needed to install, I had to buy this.

Now that is the tire machine to have. How about a video of how is works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back